HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 11:08 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I was wondering the same thing myself. It does not seem out of the question that a city as big as Seattle could to continue to support two junior teams plus a NHL team.
I did a mental exercise and I think the last time the NHL expanded into a CHL market was with Ottawa. Fascinating to see what happens to the Thunderbirds and Everett. I'd be more worried about the CHL teams if Seattle gets an AHL team into WA. I think in an ideal world the AHL team would end up in Boise but who knows!

Quote:
But if the writing is on the wall, perhaps the weaker of the two teams (not sure which one that would be in this case) could be moved to another city in the region like Olympia, Tacoma, Yakima or Eugene?
I think Olympia would be a good shout if Seattle/Everett had to move around.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 11:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Release the Kraken.
I'm almost positive that this is what the announcer will intone when the team takes the ice at the beginning of the game.

How much do you want to bet the "unofficial" nickname for the arena will be the crack house and the fans will be called crackheads..........

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 11:52 PM
I am the law!

Release the Kraken is something said when you have a huge bowel movement. Doesn't work if they want to follow Las Vegas' route opposed to Ottawas way back when.

Have more faith in the hub city model now that feds, at least, have shown they won't let sports control them (speaking of the ________ Blue Jays.)

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 12:02 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I'm almost positive that this is what the announcer will intone when the team takes the ice at the beginning of the game.

How much do you want to bet the "unofficial" nickname for the arena will be the crack house and the fans will be called crackheads..........
They must have thought about that a lot. Those types of terms are already trending on Twitter. I'm sure they didn't count on the number of people who are saying that they thought the logo says "Karens" ... that would have made no sense 6 weeks ago. We're living in fast moving times -- makes me think of the poor Edmonton Eskimos who made the prudent decision to begin to ease in the harmless-sounding name "Edmonton Empire" a few years ago, only to realize that in 2020 "Empire" is considered out of bounds.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 6:00 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 6:10 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 6:09 AM
Community Guy

Four-time Grammy winner Michael Buble will perform the national anthems for the Aug. 1 opening games, while video game company EA Sports is set to provide crowd noise. The NHL plans to use individual teams' goal horns and chants to add to the atmosphere.
Mayer, who said fans will see unique camera angles because arenas will be empty, added viewers at home can also expect the league to address the pandemic and social justice movements, including Black Lives Matter, during the restart.

https://www.tsn.ca/bubbles-come-to-l...nton-1.1499269

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 2:31 PM
I am the law!

I do think the crowd noise adds to the televised ambiance but, it's also really weird. Like watching a sitcom with a laugh track. The drone of a large crowd is okay. It's the cheering. Hockey should be better than baseball.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 8:35 PM
ハルウララ

Disappointed they're still planning on doing anthems. Haven't missed them at all during MLS broadcasts.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 9:55 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 9:18 PM
Community Guy

Here they come...

AC 7038 Vancouver (319)
AC 7017 Winnipeg (320)
AC 7015 Denver (321)
AC 7036 Calgary
AC 7027 Phoenix (319)
DL 8951 Minneapolis (752)
DL 8955 Las Vegas (752)
SWQ 2005 from Chicago
SWQ 2003 this one from Nashville
A 67' from Dallas a well

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 2:32 AM
Community Guy

Edmonton - Rogers Place

Toronto - Scotiabank Arena

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status...32846060535808

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 3:49 AM

This will be the year a Canadian team wins the cup. Whoever wins it though, is never gonna hear the end of it. They'll have to repeat to be considered legit.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
This will be the year a Canadian team wins the cup. Whoever wins it though, is never gonna hear the end of it. They'll have to repeat to be considered legit.
The only way that it wouldn't be considered legit is if the teams somehow get decimated by covid to the point where it's basically AHL teams playing against each other in the final. But that scenario is pretty unlikely to say the least.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 4:49 AM

Quote:
The only way that it wouldn't be considered legit is if the teams somehow get decimated by covid to the point where it's basically AHL teams playing against each other in the final. But that scenario is pretty unlikely to say the least.
I agree with you, I'm just saying other fan bases will droning on for decades about how it's not legit. Other fan bases like to dwell on things. Like a riot that happened 10 years ago for example.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I agree with you, I'm just saying other fan bases will droning on for decades about how it's not legit. Other fan bases like to dwell on things. Like a riot that happened 10 years ago for example.
Or a non-high sticking call from 2 years ago lol. A Cup win this year is certainly more legit than the 2 48 game labour disrupted seasons and I don't hear anyone saying "yeah but" about those seasons.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 1:46 PM

The only way this should have an asterisks next to it is if a fringe team in the standings makes a run all the way, and people question whether they every would've made the playoffs in a regular, full-length season. No one does that for the shortened 2013 season season though. This in theory should be the most difficult cup to ever win in the history of the league.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 2:16 PM
I am the law!

You guys are missing the key point. A Canadian team did not win in 2013. I don't agree either. The NHL is a true North American league. Any references to "fluke" (i.e. underdog delivering first NBA championship outside US) will wane quickly.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 4:49 PM

Flames hoist the cup in Edmonton? that would be the best thing ever!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 4:57 PM
I am the law!

LOL. I guess this is the only chance Calgary can do that now.

Toronto deserves to go nuclear once the Leafs win. I don't want that pandemonium weighted down by a virus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada