HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 4:53 PM

They are pretty nice looking as townhouses go though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
A pretty basic and boring townhouse proposal for Forest Road.

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...est%20Road.pdf

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 2:23 PM

Sobeys to sell 24 theatres in Atlantic Canada

CBC News
June 27, 2013

Quote:
Sobeys is getting out of the movie business.

The company announced on Thursday that it will sell 24 of its Atlantic Canadian Empire Theatres to Cineplex Incorporated, including the historic Oxford theatre in Halifax.

Sobeys said it is keeping control of the drive-in in Westville, but the company said they expect to sell the property.

“It’s really in keeping with our strategic direction that Empire has to focus resources on our food retail business, through Sobeys and our related real estate investment,” said vice-president Andrew Walker.

Nationally, Sobeys will also sell almost all of its theatres in Ontario and the western provinces, keeping only four across the country.

The Cineplex deal is worth $200 million. Walker expects it to close in August.
Hmmm.. I wonder if this has anything to do with the delayed construction of the new movie theatre???? If so, hopefully once this gets sorted out they can put a push on getting it completed.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 2:28 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I believe this is good news, right? It's been so long since I've been to one, but isn't Cineplex WAY better?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I believe this is good news, right? It's been so long since I've been to one, but isn't Cineplex WAY better?
The ones I've been to were nice theatres. I take this as a positive as well.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 2:50 PM

I think the competition alone would be great!

or maybe Sobeys owned the one that is in what use to be Sobey's square??? in mount pearl?? that would would be great to have a make over and a new brand

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 2:57 PM

on Wikipedia it says that they will sell them all in this province and they will become Cineplex

Quote:
On June 27, 2013, Empire Theatres announced that they will be selling all of their theatres.[5] Cineplex Entertainment will purchase 26 Theatres, 13 in Nova Scotia, 2 in Prince Edward Island, 6 in New Brunswick and 3 in Newfoundland. Cineplex Entertainment is also purchasing 2 Ontario Theatres in Whitby and Kanata. They will be renamed as Cineplex Cinemas upon sale completion. Empire Extra at the acquired theatres by Cineplex Cinemas will be replaced by UltraAVX with Dolby Atmos. XSCAPE Entertainment Centre and VIP Cinemas may also be added. Landmark Cinemas will also purchase 20 theatres in Ontario and Western Canada as well. Empire Extra at the acquired theatres by Landmark Cinemas will be replaced with Landmark Xtreme. Upon sale completion, Cineplex Entertainment and Landmark Cinemas will remove Barco projectors and replace them with Christie.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_Theatres

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post

or maybe Sobeys owned the one that is in what use to be Sobey's square??? in mount pearl?? that would would be great to have a make over and a new brand
I believe that Sobeys owns(ed) Empire Theatres and are selling it off to Cineplex which, in turn, will now own Empire Theatres. They may re-brand to Cineplex or keep Empire... who knows? So now the sole proprietor of theatres in the city with be Cineplex... still no competition.

But this is no big surprise, Cineplex also owns Famous Players, AMC and pretty much every other brand across Canada. I think their only competition are small independents, who probably can't keep up with Cineplex. So in reality, I don't think there's any competition in the movie theatre market in Canada... can you say price gouge!!!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 3:04 PM

Quote:

Sobeys does own the theatres in Sobeys Square (now called Mount Pearl Square) and also owns the entire building. That is probably why the cinemas there are still operating. I would imagine these cinemas would be shut down and I doubt Cineplex would continue to operate the Mount Pearl Square being that the mall is no longer a mall and is more of an office complex now and no one goes there any more to see movies anyway.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Sobeys does own the theatres in Sobeys Square (now called Mount Pearl Square) and also owns the entire building. That is probably why the cinemas there are still operating. I would imagine these cinemas would be shut down and I doubt Cineplex would continue to operate the Mount Pearl Square being that the mall is no longer a mall and is more of an office complex now and no one goes there any more to see movies anyway.
you would be surprised with how many people go there. I go there every now and again (they now show current movies much more often) and it's less busy and cheaper. They're still making money there

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 7:03 PM

Regardless, I always thought those cinemas were living on borrowed time only because Sobeys owned the building they were housed in and would eventually close them once a more lucrative area was found for new cinemas.

Quote:
you would be surprised with how many people go there. I go there every now and again (they now show current movies much more often) and it's less busy and cheaper. They're still making money there

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 8:57 PM

Angry

Quote:
I've heard a few people say the same. I thought I heard something about them closing though.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 9:12 PM

from the language of their announcement on the new cinemas, I would think it will be an addition making it three in metro, not closing the one in Mount Pearl.

Quote:
"We're extremely pleased to be able to bring a third facility to the St. John's area that will complement our Theatres located in the Avalon Mall and Mount Pearl.
http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/9114...n-st-john-s-nl

also on another note (just a cool fact) the Avalon mall theater is in their top 5 busiest
theaters

Quote:
"It's a very busy theatre, and it's certainly within our Top 5 in our whole fleet of theatres. We couldn't be more pleased with that volume, and thus why we know that there's potential to add another location in the city," said Dean Leland from Halifax, where Empire Theatres is headquartered. "We've been looking for quite a while within that whole St. John's market to find a new location that would be separate and apart from Avalon and our one in Mount Pearl to offer a venue in a different part of the city."
http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...in-the-works/1
maybe they will replace it by the theatre that's slated to go in Glencrest, to be better situated in the west end of metro.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 11:41 AM

Cineplex to buy Empire Theatres

Quote:
Movie-goers may notice some changes soon. Empire Theatres is stepping out of the business and selling its Atlantic theatres to Cineplex. The director of communications at Cineplex, Mike Langdon, says the company wants to bring its business to the east coast. Cineplex currently has 136 theatres across Canada, and the deal, which is scheduled to go through in about two months, will add another 24 to the list.

He says Empire approached Cineplex to see if it would be interested in buying the theatres.

Langdon says eventually, consumers will see changes.

VIP cinemas, new auditoriums, motion seats, and one of the largest loyalty programs in Canada for movie-goers are all things Cineplex will offer.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=35861

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 2:26 PM

Forest Road townhouse plan raises neighbourhood concerns

Looks like a pretty ugly building. Sad, because there's a number of nice places going up in that area.

"A proposal for new townhouses facing Quidi Vidi Lake is raising a red flag for some residents.

Deer Park Contracting wants to build the units on the south side of Forest Road in St. John's.

But there is a problem — the proposal lacks a site plan.

Tony Lockyer of Deer Park Contracting acknowledged that there are questions the company will need to answer if council gives the go-ahead for the project. (CBC)
That, as well as traffic and other concerns, drew a dozen residents to a public meeting Tuesday night.

But contractor Tony Lockyer says it's still early days for the project at this point.

“We don't know how many units can go in there … what the site plan will be for how they'll sit on the property,” Lockyer said.

“So I mean there questions that we need to answer once we know we can go ahead with this."

According to city planning rules, a proposal can go through a public meeting and pass through council without spelling out those details.

That has some residents concerned. Parking, and the disruption of a nearby stream, were also cited as potential issues.

St. John’s city council must still approve rezoning of the area before the application comes for a final vote."

LINK: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...posal-703.html

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 3:15 PM

I don't mind the design of the these town homes at all. Considering all of the ugly apt building and condos that are along the lake now, this looks quite attractive by comparison. Only thing I would like to see though is the site plan and how it is going to fit in or not fit in along Forest Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccanning View Post
Looks like a pretty ugly building. Sad, because there's a number of nice places going up in that area.

"A proposal for new townhouses facing Quidi Vidi Lake is raising a red flag for some residents.

Deer Park Contracting wants to build the units on the south side of Forest Road in St. John's.

But there is a problem — the proposal lacks a site plan.

Tony Lockyer of Deer Park Contracting acknowledged that there are questions the company will need to answer if council gives the go-ahead for the project. (CBC)
That, as well as traffic and other concerns, drew a dozen residents to a public meeting Tuesday night.

But contractor Tony Lockyer says it's still early days for the project at this point.

“We don't know how many units can go in there … what the site plan will be for how they'll sit on the property,” Lockyer said.

“So I mean there questions that we need to answer once we know we can go ahead with this."

According to city planning rules, a proposal can go through a public meeting and pass through council without spelling out those details.

That has some residents concerned. Parking, and the disruption of a nearby stream, were also cited as potential issues.

St. John’s city council must still approve rezoning of the area before the application comes for a final vote."

LINK: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...posal-703.html

Old Posted Jul 3, 2013, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
I don't mind the design of the these town homes at all. Considering all of the ugly apt building and condos that are along the lake now, this looks quite attractive by comparison. Only thing I would like to see though is the site plan and how it is going to fit in or not fit in along Forest Road.
Fair enough. I think I just have a distaste for garages front and center. IMO they should be around back b/c they are generally pretty ugly and suburban looking.

On another topic - I hope someday they build a new penitentiary and the land is opened up for some dense/ high rise buildings. Maybe a pub as well. #1 b/c it's fugly; #2 poor inmates are living in squaller (:

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 1:35 PM

You are bang on about the penitentiary. I wish that ugly old thing was demolished and some really nice condos put there along lakeside. Also a continuation of Quidi Vidi Road down to the lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccanning View Post
Fair enough. I think I just have a distaste for garages front and center. IMO they should be around back b/c they are generally pretty ugly and suburban looking.

On another topic - I hope someday they build a new penitentiary and the land is opened up for some dense/ high rise buildings. Maybe a pub as well. #1 b/c it's fugly; #2 poor inmates are living in squaller (:

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 4:27 PM

Cineplex-Odeon update on its purchase of Empire Theatres.

http://www.nl.dailybusinessbuzz.ca/P...ire-theatres/1

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 6:02 PM
Urban Design Aficionado

Hopefully when they say we'll see expansion in food court like items they mean physical expansion, any renovation to the inefficient concession space in the Avalon Mall would be better than what's there now.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 11:48 PM

Does anyone know if the apartments in Bennett house have been completed? I understood that it was supposed to be done this spring and am supposed to be moving in this fall. Have yet to see any finished pictures on their site so I'm wondering if it is behind schedule.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's