HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
There is the Pioneer Museum as well, just up Main Street near the Capitol.

I know that there has been talk in the past, years ago. The problem is that there were some in the Legislature that wanted the Museum in Fillmore, others in Salt Lake, near the archives, and the others that wanted it at the Capitol building or the Fair Park.

With the Archives setup to move to a new building, I personally think that this would be a great opportunity to incorporate a State History Museum into the Archive building.

I haven't heard anything recently (last 2 years) but I will keep an ear out.
I wish the state would sale that off and put the archives and museum at the Capitol. That spot would be better for a more 24/7 development. A museum would attract a fair amount of schools and families that will be coming from the suburbs with their cars. The parking will be an issue there. It would be a shame if they added an above ground garage or surface parking.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 6:22 PM

Like Makid said the potential location for the museum has bounced around a lot the past few years. There has been a page on the Utah Department of Heritage of Arts about the museum for the past several years, and it looks like it was updated relatively recently, and it would appear that planning for "the Museum of Utah" on the Capitol Complex is well underway. It seems that this will also be the location of the archives. You can check out the overview and the single page brief below:

https://heritageandarts.utah.gov/utahartifactsandart/

https://heritageandarts.utah.gov/wp-...L-01.27.20.pdf

The important part is:
"A GATHERING PLACE ON THE UTAH STATE CAPITOL CAMPUS
Thanks to the vision and support of Governor Gary R. Herbert and the Utah State Legislature, Utah’s vast collection of artifacts and art will be protected and shared in a new museum on the Utah State Capitol Complex. Planning has begun for this new building that will include collections storage, exhibition, education and gathering spaces."

"THE TIMELINE
• In 2019, the Utah State Legislature provided funding to begin the planning
process for The Museum of Utah.
• Planning and design will continue in 2020 with a draft of the Interpretive Plan
available to the public this winter.
• Completion of The Museum of Utah is anticipated in 2023."

Quote:
There is the Pioneer Museum as well, just up Main Street near the Capitol.

I know that there has been talk in the past, years ago. The problem is that there were some in the Legislature that wanted the Museum in Fillmore, others in Salt Lake, near the archives, and the others that wanted it at the Capitol building or the Fair Park.

With the Archives setup to move to a new building, I personally think that this would be a great opportunity to incorporate a State History Museum into the Archive building.

I haven't heard anything recently (last 2 years) but I will keep an ear out.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 8:18 PM

http://https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.deseret.com/platform/amp/utah/2020/1/27/21109703/road-home-shelter-closed-demolition-downtown-salt-lake-city

That makes more sense that the archives is going elsewhere because I thought I had read earlier that plans changed. Sure enough I am not crazy.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 3:43 PM
Space Magi

Surfing around on the forum, I came across this rendering (from Miami) and thought that something like this would be nice on Block 40 where Hotel Newhouse used to be. I realize that nothing is happening there anytime soon but it's fun to think about. Thoughts?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Surfing around on the forum, I came across this rendering (from Miami) and thought that something like this would be nice on Block 40 where Hotel Newhouse used to be. I realize that nothing is happening there anytime soon but it's fun to think about. Thoughts?

When I first saw the image, I thought it looked very similar to The West Quarter, Block 67, Phase 1.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 6:29 PM

I'm not sure if the plans have been completely shelved or simply put on hold, but funding for the new building at the State Capitol Complex was part of the budget cuts made last month due to decreasing revenues.

Legislature plugs $850 million pandemic budget gap in daylong session

Quote:
The long list of budget cuts came after a series of hearings held late last month that largely rolled back spending to current-year levels, then by another 1.7% overall, and include eliminating construction projects such as a new state office building at the Capitol complex and a pay increase for state workers.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 9:29 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
When I first saw the image, I thought it looked very similar to The West Quarter, Block 67, Phase 1.
Definitely similar looking, with a few more stories and a more oblique orientation. The West Quarter is a great project and it's good to see it progressing.

News update for you all: foundation work on the Post House Apartments appears to have just started! It's exciting to see that project begin.

Also, a new building is starting to rise next to the new midrise office building in South Salt Lake, presumably the apartment building in the middle of this rendering:

The third (rightmost) building hasn't started yet, and frankly I'm good with that because I don't want my favorite local brewery (Salt Fire) to be displaced.

Here's the project website: https://southcityutah.com/

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 9:21 AM

https://downtownslc.org/building-dow...pment-projects
Downtown Alliance has finally updated their development projects page, but they don't list Kensington Tower. Should we be concerned? Or is it because it isn't scheduled to be built until next year? I also noticed there is nothing listed for Pantages either, so maybe it's because both of those are still about a year off.
I was sad to see that Union Pacific Hotel was still listed, I was kinda hoping Covid would kill that project (or at least make them rethink that design). Oh well, I guess.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:10 PM
Space Magi

Nice. My guess is that Kensington and the Theater Tower are less imminent than these other projects. Half of these are actively under construction.

I do wonder when exactly the Gateway project will begin; it seems like it's been approved for awhile. Hotels are not doing well in the pandemic, so I could definitely see that one getting postponed or cancelled. I'm glad the CCH started before all of this hit.

Anyone have any updates about Moda Luxe or 255 S. State? I don't think either has begun construction yet.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Anyone have any updates about Moda Luxe or 255 S. State? I don't think either has begun construction yet.
I thought I saw on Moda's website a while back that it was pushed to 2023, but now I can't seem to find that.

But there are still 3 buildings that need to be knocked down on that site.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 6:49 PM

Quote:
I do wonder when exactly the Gateway project will begin; it seems like it's been approved for awhile. Hotels are not doing well in the pandemic, so I could definitely see that one getting postponed or cancelled. I'm glad the CCH started before all of this hit.
Yeah, don't expect any new hotels to get financed right now, we saw the hotel portion of a project already get canceled on one of our big projects in Phoenix. Hopefully SLC can keep most of the pipeline going, it's nice seeing it get a little bigger each time I visit.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 7:24 PM

Three Creeks Confluence Park

Construction on Three Creeks Confluence Park started earlier this year: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...cd498d4b128b56

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 3:19 PM
Space Magi

New article from BSL on the Depot District:
https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/fol...is-taking-off/

Also, there's nothing like viewing Utah's fireworks from the mountainside. The sheer number was truly impressive!

Last edited by Atlas; Jul 6, 2020 at 3:38 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 3:28 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:

Also, there's nothing like viewing Utah's fireworks from the mountainside. The sheer number was truly impressive!

Fairpark/Rose Park went off. More than usual (it always goes off). It was truly impressive.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 3:39 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joscar View Post
Construction on Three Creeks Confluence Park started earlier this year: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...cd498d4b128b56

Video Link
Such an amazing project. The Jordan River parkways is such a gem and it's great to see it getting better and better. 3 Rivers will be a major achievement for SLC Public Lands and the 7 Canyons Trust. 7 Canyons should be getting much more attention for the work they do in the "Daylighting" movement. Speaking of JRP improvements, does anybody know the name of the project that has been under construction at Rose Park for the last year or so? It's really coming along with a wetland restoration, elevated walkways, fishing platform, boat access and some sort of water playground. It's directly east of Day Riverside library in RP. It cut up the JRP from Rose park to 1000 North and envelops the Rose Park community garden. It's really really nice. I'll try to snap a few pics on my jog today.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Fairpark/Rose Park went off. More than usual (it always goes off). It was truly impressive.
It felt like I was in the middle of a major fireworks show. I had concussive blasts all around me going off every few seconds at 1 point.

I am near American Beauty (10th West) and 8th North.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Such an amazing project. The Jordan River parkways is such a gem and it's great to see it getting better and better. 3 Rivers will be a major achievement for SLC Public Lands and the 7 Canyons Trust. 7 Canyons should be getting much more attention for the work they do in the "Daylighting" movement. Speaking of JRP improvements, does anybody know the name of the project that has been under construction at Rose Park for the last year or so? It's really coming along with a wetland restoration, elevated walkways, fishing platform, boat access and some sort of water playground. It's directly east of Day Riverside library in RP. It cut up the JRP from Rose park to 1000 North and envelops the Rose Park community garden. It's really really nice. I'll try to snap a few pics on my jog today.
That would be great Marv if you could snap a few pics. Love to see Rose Park's continued progress.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 2:59 AM
The Drifter

Quote:

I spent my holiday weekend in the Tremonton area and the neighbors of my inlaws put on quite a show that helped finance Evanston, Wyoming. It ran well till one of the fireworks went rogue and blew up right up against my belly.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 10:35 AM

Following the Road Home’s departure, Salt Lake City’s Depot District is taking off

I loved yesterday's article in BSL. Some interesting stuff in there that I didn't know about stuff going on in the Depot District.
(BTW, I think you should click the link, even if you read it here (I'm pretty sure it helps support BSL))

Building Salt Lake article: https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/fol...is-taking-off/

Quote:
Following the Road Home’s departure, Salt Lake City’s Depot District is taking off
written by: Taylor Anderson

The Depot District looking towards Downtown. Photo by Luke Garrott.

Salt Lake City’s Depot District continues to attract residential developments in a rapid housing shift west of Downtown in the years after the state intervened, dispersing a market for street drugs and evicting the city’s main homeless shelter from the neighborhood.

The area immediately surrounding The Road Home — which the state demolished before offering for sale — has attracted quick interest among developers proposing mixed-use projects in one of the most transit-dense neighborhoods of the city.

Several projects in the Depot District are underway or at various stages in the approval process, with the result being an impending arrival of residents and possibly businesses to one of the city’s redevelopment areas that had been awaiting a catalyst.

To help spur growth, the city prioritized a review of building heights across Downtown after a developer held off on a project in the neighborhood, saying existing zoning didn’t allow the height his client was looking for.

Other projects are quickly moving ahead, and multiple public and private entities remain fixated in what this underdeveloped part of town could look like in the next five years.

Here are projects and locations that could have a transformative impact on Salt Lake City’s Depot District.

Central Station apartments are under construction today. The 65 new rental units will ensure that, as the Depot District rapidly develops, it will include at least some affordable housing. Rendering courtesy of Salt Lake City Planning Division.

Keeping affordability in the Depot
The Central Station project is ensuring that there will be space for affordable housing in this developing area.

The project has been under construction for several months and will include 65 units — most of them affordable — in a six-story building, according to a rendering submitted to the city in March.

It received planning commission approval last year and funding to help balance the affordable units.

The project will supply 34 parking stalls at ground level in its concrete podium, hidden from the street by common rooms for tenants and their leasing office.

While it’s under construction, there appears to be a dispute between Central Station and its neighbor to the east, Bridge Projects, over the city’s interpretation of who has rights to Woodbine Street (535 West). Officials from the city couldn’t immediately comment on the nature of the easement dispute.

The Greenprint Gateway would bring 150 micro and studio apartments for rent at the northeast corner of 200 S. 600 W. in Salt Lake City’s Depot District. Rendering courtesy of Salt Lake City Planning Division.

150 new micro and studio apartments
The Greenprint Gateway would bring a new six-story building with 150 micro and studio apartments for rent on the northeast corner of 200 S. + 600 W.

It would include ground-floor retail or office space and would be oriented toward 200 South.

It would replace a parking lot and car repair shop.

That’s a density of 254 units per acre within a very short walk of a TRAX and FrontRunner station. (The project would include 38 parking stalls, 19 surface and accessed off 600 West and 19 within the podium structure.)

“Given its proximity to the Old Greek Town Trax Station and the Gateway commercial development, we believe that this design will not only meet the City’s vision for this district but will also enhance the area by adding a walkable, transit-oriented, multi-family option for City residents,” the developer wrote.

The project is awaiting action by the Planning Commission.

The Road Home is for sale
The lot still hasn’t publicly changed hands after the state did a future developer the favor of demolishing the old homeless shelter.

Still, at $5 million assessed value in a Downtown zone, it will be a high-value project that replaces the former shelter.

It’s been an open secret that many developers have been waiting on the shelter to be moved before committing to the area.

For more than a decade the Salt Lake City Redevelopment Agency (RDA) has failed to attract developers to its acres of “Station Center” properties along 300 South between 500 and 600 West — long planned as a “festival street” and an extension of the Rio Grande depot.

But two years after an intervention by the city, county and state law enforcement, talks are continuing in earnest.

A map showing Station Center and the various publicly owned parcels within the Depot District. Image courtesy of Salt Lake City Redevelopment Agency.

SLC RDA, UTA and Station Center
Things are moving on the Redevelopment Agency’s land within the Depot District, known as Station Center, Salt Lake City officials say.

RDA staff told the City Council in March the agency “has ended all former partnerships with entities for development of certain Station Center sites. We have no existing commitments to anyone in the development area. We are moving forward with the intent to market all of the properties to a master developer or team of developers through [an] RFQ/RFP process.”

Mayor Mendenhall mentioned the Station Center properties and a Transit Reinvestment Zone (TRZ) in the Depot District in an interview with Utah Business magazine.

The RDA is working on its own with its Station Center 300 South properties.

But its properties between 100 South and the UP railroad tracks at 600 and 700 West are significant and part of a collaboration with the Utah Transit Authority.

UTA, for its part, confirmed that it is exploring a potential TRZ, which is both a transportation and taxing entity, with Salt Lake City.

Paul Drake, UTA’s Director of Real Estate and TOD, told Building Salt Lake that future development of properties at the North Temple bridge, the bus depot at the northwest corner of 200 South and 600 West, and at the current Intermodal Hub/Central Station at 600 West and 300 South will proceed according the the 2019 Central Station Area Plan.

That plan was a collaboration between multiple local, county and state agencies, and funded by Wasatch Front Regional Council, the region’s planning agency.

Those developments are at least five years out, Drake said, noting they could be accelerated.

Building height restrictions in Downtown Salt Lake City
When asked about recent noise to raise building heights in the Depot, Drake and Board Trustee Beth Holbrook told Building Salt Lake that UTA is “listening to and interested in those discussions.”

The discussion around height restrictions throughout Downtown Salt Lake City flared up recently when a developer said a tech company wanted to build its new headquarters in the Depot District but backed out because height restrictions are too low.

The council largely agreed that it should let developers go taller and set out to conduct a study of appropriate building heights throughout Downtown.

The RDA is also watching the height discussion closely.

“It is the RDA’s understanding that additional height would assist in the implementation of the Salt Lake Central Station Area Plan and UTA’s vision for UTA-owned property west of 600 West between 200 – 300 South,” SLC RDA’s communications director Amanda Greenland told us.

Central Station site in late March, from 200 S., left, and the rear, late March 2020. Photos by Luke Garrott.
Luke Garrott contributed to this story.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 2:48 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
That would be great Marv if you could snap a few pics. Love to see Rose Park's continued progress.
Aside: Why oh why is the forum interface so MS Dos 1997? No image hosting is a massive PIA. Ahem, ask and ye shall receive. Again, this is at the river bend at Rose Park Community Garden across the river from Day Riverside library. Still can't find the project name. First pic is o really crappy one of the 3 Rivers project right now taken from 900 West and 1300 S. The rest are RP improvements:

HERE is a map.

[IMG]

[/IMG]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West