HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 8:41 PM

Yeah, I saw Atlas on the news last night as well. Hopefully - The Rio Grand Project will become a reality.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 7:32 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
That's what I keep thinking Schmoe. That spot has to be one of the most desirable for development potential given its location next to Eccles, Gallivan, and Regent St. Both of the two development iterations from the past were very attractive. I think that as soon as the numbers return to a more attractive scenario we'll see something along the line of a hotel/residential.
I'd like to clarify that we don't own this site. I was referring to the Burt Bros. tire location across Broadway from The Worthington. But I agree about the Dakota Pacific site on Regent Street. It's a phenomenal location, and I hope they're able to figure out a way to develop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
Hey Schmoe, I dont care what the naysayers on this thread say, I think the Astra Tower is a very attractive tower and is a great addition to the downtown skyline. I especially like the Eastern and Southern face of the tower, however I do think the western face is somewhat bland and could have used more glass.
Thanks! In some ways we were trying to keep some of the heat island effect from impacting the outdoor amenity areas that are predominantly on that side of the building. Glass can exacerbate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcntry View Post
Really happy with Astra Schmoe!
Thank you, my fellow Sactown refugee!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 7:59 PM

Schmoe, I am a fan of Astra. Love having a new tallest in SLC. I appreciate your insights and ability to keep a pleasant tone with this group.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironweed View Post
According to a new U.S. survey. Salt Lake County lost 789 residents between July 2022 and 2023. It did not indicate whether the city lost population. Not sure it is accurate with all the growth taking place downtown.
It likely predicts population loss in many of the older-ring suburbs (such as Millcreek, Murray, Sandy) and growth in Salt Lake City/South Jordan/Herriman etc. That is similar to what the Census Bureau predicted from 2021-2022.

The Kem Gardner Policy Institute does their own predictions and I believe it estimated population growth in Salt Lake County. Whatever the methodology differences between the two is, it's leading to significant differences in population estimates.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 9:15 PM

On the Wall Street Journal's "WSJ What's News" podcast, yesterday, they said that, post COVID, allot of large cities would be loosing population if not for immigration. Apparently immigrants are moving to large cities while everone else is moving out of them. They specifically mentioned Salt Lake City as one of those. I don't know if they were referring to the city proper or to the MSA.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 11:21 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
On the Wall Street Journal's "WSJ What's News" podcast, yesterday, they said that, post COVID, allot of large cities would be loosing population if not for immigration. Apparently immigrants are moving to large cities while everone else is moving out of them. They specifically mentioned Salt Lake City as one of those. I don't know if they were referring to the city proper or to the MSA.
A good chunk of the US would lose population if it wasn't for immigration.

In fact, our economy probably would not have bounced back nearly as nicely if not for our immigration. International migrants have accounted for 70% of the US' population growth.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 12:01 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
It likely predicts population loss in many of the older-ring suburbs (such as Millcreek, Murray, Sandy) and growth in Salt Lake City/South Jordan/Herriman etc. That is similar to what the Census Bureau predicted from 2021-2022.

The Kem Gardner Policy Institute does their own predictions and I believe it estimated population growth in Salt Lake County. Whatever the methodology differences between the two is, it's leading to significant differences in population estimates.
It lost another 8 more last November. After my mother passed away who we were living with, my wife and I moved our family to Omaha. As much as I love the Salt Lake City area and Utah in general, my wife and I needed a change to somewhere cheaper to live.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:53 AM
Lahaina Strong

Demolition has begun on the parking structure under the Capitol Plaza.

The Stadler Canteen has made incredible progress.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:25 PM
Lahaina Strong

I suspect all the equipment at 20 S 600 W is just supporting some sort of utility project.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West