HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I about shit a brick when I saw these. Those same houses would easily be north of $400k here in Denver, likely over $500k. It really perplexes me when I see folks in Chicago talking about an "affordability" crisis. ..
It shouldn't perplex you. Such people are either being intentionally disingenuous for political reasons or are just actual morons. Or in Kenmore's case they are just worthless trolls that should have been banned long ago for contributing nothing to any conversation.

There is no affordablilty crisis here and anyone who says otherwise is bullshitting you. The only way we will get such a crisis is if we manufacturer one ourselves with backassward policy.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
chicago absolutely has an affordability crisis, don't let anyone raising their kids in suburbs convince you otherwise
It absolutely does not. You could argue Chicago has a jobs crisis, but affordability is not one of our problems. Just because I can't afford a SFH in Lincoln Park doesn't mean the city is unaffordable.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
It absolutely does not. You could argue Chicago has a jobs crisis, but affordability is not one of our problems. Just because I can't afford a SFH in Lincoln Park doesn't mean the city is unaffordable.
Of course there is no affordability CRISIS. Are there low income people that struggle with rent? Of course, welcome to life as known throughout the history of humanity. We just have a bunch of pandering assholes that make bullshit claims of "crisis".

As I pointed out above the median rent in Chicago is $1029 including utilities. That requires an annual income of $49,392 assuming paying 25% of income for housing. The median household income is $52,497. The median family income is $61,615 and the median married family income is $87,357.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 5:13 PM

Last edited by Via Chicago; Mar 7, 2019 at 5:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 5:49 PM

Or Lawndale:

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/15.../home/26811465

Or Little Village:

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/28.../home/13231942

Or even Pilsen:

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/23.../home/14087603

Or McKinley Park:

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/34.../home/14078094

Or Bridgeport:

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/30.../home/14079255

Or Logan Square directly adjacent to the Bloomindale Trail:

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/18.../home/13418080

Or Logan Square just a few blocks from the Square itself:

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/22.../home/13420513

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/26.../home/13446480

Etc Etc Etc...

The "affordability crisis" is a load of bullshit. If you can buy a totally serviceable single family 4/2 bungalow for $270,000 just a half a mile from the train in the heart of the hottest neighborhood int he city, you do not have an affordability crisis...

The "crisis" is a myth created by hipsters who are pissed they can't buy a totally gut rehabbed single family home one block from the train for $150,000. Sorry, you might just have to settle for something rehabbed a couple of decades ago and deal with less than contemporary styles or finishes if you want that. Heaven forbid you live like the other 75% of the country does who didn't grow up in a 1%er suburb in new construction tract housing.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 5:59 PM

the gut rehabs/flipper specials dont even appeal to me. clearly they appeal to a lot of people because they keep selling at inflated prices. but christ, leave the original hardwood/trim/walls/interior doors/art glass/fireplaces alone please. id rather have an unmolested bungalow with its historic character left in tact for 250k than some godawful gut job with finishes that will look horrible in 15 years for 500k.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 7:15 PM

Wow, I seriously didn't know you could buy a house in Logan square or pilsen for under $300k!! That's a really good deal! I thought you had to live out by Ohare or Skokie to get a house that cheap! I always thought I couldn't afford a house in Chicago, but now I'll have to look, thanks!

As far as rents in Chicago I was looking at the rents in my hometown of Ft. Myers, FL which has absolutely nothing for young people in their 20-30's to do other than the beach and nice weather, and rents there are almost the same as Chicago lol. A downtown that is lame, and nothing like the ammenites and culture in Chicago. For what you get in Chicago it's super cheap, as long as you can put up with the winter.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Wow, I seriously didn't know you could buy a house in Logan square or pilsen for under $300k!! That's a really good deal! .
which is like 3x what it was 10 years ago, but still not bad

still funny seeing people saying "wow i can afford pilsen?" when no one wanted to touch it with a 10 foot pole not that long ago

Last edited by Via Chicago; Mar 7, 2019 at 7:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 7:27 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
still kind of funny seeing people saying "wow i can afford pilsen?" when no one wanted to touch it with a 10 foot pole not that long ago.
Ain't that the truth. I have anecdotes, but suffice to say that Pilsen was not on the radar until very recently.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 7:31 PM

the view across the street from my great-grandparents flat in Pilsen during the 40s. they came here on a ship from a small peasant village in the Czech republic, which departed from Vienna. one strand of the family ran a foundry in Pilsen during the 20s/30s. their remains are at Bohemian National.

their old building was only just recently rehabbed. before that i doubt it was touched substantially since it was built in the 1800s.

that empty lot is still there too.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Mar 7, 2019 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 9:34 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Wow, I seriously didn't know you could buy a house in Logan square or pilsen for under $300k!! That's a really good deal! I thought you had to live out by Ohare or Skokie to get a house that cheap! I always thought I couldn't afford a house in Chicago, but now I'll have to look, thanks!
How does the city get this message out there? As the people living in Seattle, Denver, Portland, Austin, San Fran, New York and Boston continue to see their cost of living rise, we need to be the big city alternative over the next 10 years. Other cities fighting for this crown will be Minnesota, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Phoenix, Nashville and Atlanta.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
How does the city get this message out there? As the people living in Seattle, Denver, Portland, Austin, San Fran, New York and Boston continue to see their cost of living rise, we need to be the big city alternative over the next 10 years. Other cities fighting for this crown will be Minnesota, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Phoenix, Nashville and Atlanta.
It won't with the likes of Kenmore, Ramirez Rosa, Toni Prekwinkle, etc. constantly saying that there is an affordability CRISIS.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2019, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
The people cramming into the cities you mention are doing so heavily because of the location and natural amenities. The type of person who wants to be able to drive to the mountains or ocean or old growth forest in under an hour is simply not the same type of person who will be persuaded to buy a fixer upper in Lawndale. you are talking about two entirely different types of potential buyers.

its like trying to convince a Chicagoan to move to Milwaukee or Minneapolis or Columbus. "its practically the same thing, for a fraction of the cost!", but of course we all know how much success that argument has.

everyone on the coasts knows the midwest is dirt cheap. it dosent mean theyre selling their places. if anything theyre willing to make more sacrifices in their day to day lives to stay.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Mar 7, 2019 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 1:17 AM

Did anyone watch the debate tonight?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 1:27 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
The people cramming into the cities you mention are doing so heavily because of the location and natural amenities. The type of person who wants to be able to drive to the mountains or ocean or old growth forest in under an hour is simply not the same type of person who will be persuaded to buy a fixer upper in Lawndale. you are talking about two entirely different types of potential buyers.

its like trying to convince a Chicagoan to move to Milwaukee or Minneapolis or Columbus. "its practically the same thing, for a fraction of the cost!", but of course we all know how much success that argument has.

everyone on the coasts knows the midwest is dirt cheap. it dosent mean theyre selling their places. if anything theyre willing to make more sacrifices in their day to day lives to stay.
Chicago can't sell itself primarily as cheaper. You don't attract quality that way. It needs to advertise itself as a better *city* than most places. We can't compete with New York in being a city, but every other City in America's we can make a case about. That's how we sell Chicago, not as a place to settle for, but as a place to aspire to. Even big Chicago fans may have a hard time seeing how we'd pitch it that way today, but I think it could be done with a little creative positioning. The growing backlots here help some, but attracting, retaining, and marketing new talent is how things grow. Places like Austin and Portland have cool reputations because they market their openness to out-of-the-box thinking. Is Portland really better than Chicago? As a city, no. Chicago just needs to showcase it's success stories better. We have a strong reputation in show business as a place to warm up before New York, and that's a start, but reaching a critical mass big enough to keep talent here can be done with determined effort. Colbert talks about Chicago, many other comedy types do, too. John Mulaney, one of the most talented new comics of his generation, grew up in Lincoln Park and constantly injects Chicago references into his bits, and not in a mocking way. And he talks like a city person, fast, observant, sophisticated.

Chicago needs to showcase it's arts better nationally. For every Cloud Gate or Picasso, there should be 50-100 neighborhood pieces that are bold and creative and provocative. Part of that is getting Aldermanic control reduced so that elderly locals can't block new art.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 1:31 AM
Closed account

Quote:

I don’t disagree, but there is a tipping point. At some level it’s more attractive to buy a nice $500k home in Chicago instead of a $2.5 million home in San Fran/NYC. These same people will eventually start families and have a lot less time to hit up hiking trails, ski runs and the beach. Plenty of people make that move each year. The trend of companies opening engineering offices outside of San Fran implies it might continue/accelerate.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 2:35 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Chicago can't sell itself primarily as cheaper. You don't attract quality that way. It needs to advertise itself as a better *city* than most places. We can't compete with New York in being a city, but every other City in America's we can make a case about. That's how we sell Chicago, not as a place to settle for, but as a place to aspire to. Even big Chicago fans may have a hard time seeing how we'd pitch it that way today, but I think it could be done with a little creative positioning. The growing backlots here help some, but attracting, retaining, and marketing new talent is how things grow. Places like Austin and Portland have cool reputations because they market their openness to out-of-the-box thinking. Is Portland really better than Chicago? As a city, no. Chicago just needs to showcase it's success stories better. We have a strong reputation in show business as a place to warm up before New York, and that's a start, but reaching a critical mass big enough to keep talent here can be done with determined effort. Colbert talks about Chicago, many other comedy types do, too. John Mulaney, one of the most talented new comics of his generation, grew up in Lincoln Park and constantly injects Chicago references into his bits, and not in a mocking way. And he talks like a city person, fast, observant, sophisticated.

Chicago needs to showcase it's arts better nationally. For every Cloud Gate or Picasso, there should be 50-100 neighborhood pieces that are bold and creative and provocative. Part of that is getting Aldermanic control reduced so that elderly locals can't block new art.
Totally agree

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 3:13 AM

the issue is most people in Chicago think these things happen top down. machine politics, Rahm/Daley esque iron fist government style, mega developments, etc. The thing is thats not how perceptions of NY, Austin, or Portland changed. the notion that outsiders gravitated to austin. it happened organically. it happened because kids grew up idolizing CBGBs and gritty punk rock in gritty atmospheres. or supposed sustainable lifestyles with access to nature in the PNW. there werent big ad campaigns, consultants, and marketing agencies selling this stuff. it was a general understanding and appeal that developed over time.

why is Nashville known as a place to see live music? why is NOLA? why isnt Chicago? sure, people understand the history of the blues but the conversation hasnt moved past that (which now, is a museum legacy act rather than something relevant). its because this city itself generally dosent revere these places the way NYers revered CBGBs. why isnt the Empty Bottle on the lips of the country as a place where cutting edge things are happening every night? why arent Fitzgeralds and the Hideout on the tips of tongues as some of the premier clubs in the United States to see musical acts? its because our city dosent appreciate what it has until its gone. while it exists, its simply seen as something to take for granted but not an integral part of what makes us unique. cutting edge music is happening at smartbar every night, and theres probably 50 people there on your average thursday. in a city of 3 million. why do clubs in Berlin have lines out the door and around the block and people flying in from other countries for the exact same acts?

how many bands can the average person identify as from Chicago in 2019? im guessing precisely zero. does that mean they dont exist? of course not. but its not elevated in our cultural discourse. if you want outsiders to appreciate what it is you have, you have to appreciate it first, and frankly chicago does a horrendous job at supporting locally grown talent.

why does everyone know about Brooklyn brownstones and their historical significance and why they should be protectedbut no one could tell you a thing about chicago bungalows or workers cottages? Why do we tear these things down like they don't matter and then expect the world at large to care about them when we give them zero respect?

we can talk about Lincoln Yards and the 78 until the cows come home, but that is not what moves the needle on this shit. it happens at the grass roots level. and this city frankly is garbage when it comes to supporting grass roots (see how anything someone supports outside the corporate infrastructure is branded as "red shirts"). What message does that send to a creative, grass roots minded person? Why would they want to locate in a city that doesn't embrace weirdness and different ways of thinking? They'll go somewhere else that does. we offen get what we deserve.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Mar 8, 2019 at 3:27 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 3:37 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
Did anyone watch the debate tonight?
No, just read about it. Did you watch it? Thoughts?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 2:41 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

On the #4 bus I heard some seniors speaking loudly about politics. One of them was adamant about supporting whoever Willie Wilson endorses, the other was not going to vote now that Willie Wilson Was out

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest