HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Chicago Spire in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
So true! I wonder if there is any legal or contractual basis for Shelbourne holding on to the site longer, or maybe their just stalling for time. Little phrases or clauses in an agreement can entirely change a situation. Many press releases don't express the full gravity of the situation. We'll find out sooner or later I suppose.
Shelbourne/Kelleher/Atlas did not timely (prior to midnight on October 31) file a motion with the bankruptcy court to extend the time for payment of the interim $22M. So, there was a waiver the right to ask for an extension. There is no legal or contractual basis to extend the Shelbourne/Kelleher/Atlas plan now.

Stalling for time will likely cause sanctions for delay to be imposed on Shelbourne/Kelleher/Atlas.

The situation was grave prior to October 31. Despite all your protestations to the contrary, the patient expired at midnight on Friday night. Turned into a pumpkin!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilton View Post
Shelbourne/Kelleher/Atlas did not timely (prior to midnight on October 31) file a motion with the bankruptcy court to extend the time for payment of the interim $22M. So, there was a waiver the right to ask for an extension. There is no legal or contractual basis to extend the Shelbourne/Kelleher/Atlas plan now.

Stalling for time will likely cause sanctions for delay to be imposed on Shelbourne/Kelleher/Atlas.

The situation was grave prior to October 31. Despite all your protestations to the contrary, the patient expired at midnight on Friday night. Turned into a pumpkin!
Why would Kelleher intentionally stall just be penalized though? He's knows he's on the hook for that money if the court gave him a penalty to pay it. It's possible if they are taken to court Shelbourne could counter with another argument if they have basis to do so. Related is just mouthing off as if we know all the details of the court agreement, and we don't.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 4:21 PM

^ ... Who posted this: " ... or maybe their just stalling for time"? Not me. You.

You are all over the lot these days. Give it a rest.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilton View Post
^ ... Who posted this: " ... or maybe their just stalling for time"? Not me. You.

You are all over the lot these days. Give it a rest.
Its not my question of whether he was stalling to be penalized, rather if he was stalling for some reason other than that. As if he had some advantage in doing so. Your right, if he's stalling just to stall he would have to pay that penalty. But I assume he knows this.

Edit: I guess it is possible they could argue for an extension on finding financing if there is a good reason to do so.

Last edited by Onn; Nov 3, 2014 at 5:03 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 4:28 PM

I don't get why people still want to hold onto this, Chicago doesn't need to prove shit and the Phallic like design wasn't too great either. A building this tall is unnecessary anyway.

We'll have better things in the future.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 6:06 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:

Edit: I guess it is possible they could argue for an extension on finding financing if there is a good reason to do so.
After reading the article, and also a similar one on curbed, it seems like a good possibility. IDK, maybe there is a change for this to be resurrected again. This is like the Jesus of SSP. Always being resurrected again...

Maybe this whole process is just temporary. Could be that the project still has a shot.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
After reading the article, and also a similar one on curbed, it seems like a good possibility. IDK, maybe there is a change for this to be resurrected again. This is like the Jesus of SSP. Always being resurrected again...

Maybe this whole process is just temporary. Could be that the project still has a shot.
Or its possible they don't have to give over control of the site to Related until the court says so, in which case they may have extra days of bargaining power. I can smell behind the scenes drama taking place. It sounds like Shelbourne may be exploiting a legal loophole or something. But we'll see.

And they probably are going to ask for an extension if they don't have a deal by tomorrow, which would be why they're not turning over the site. Related looks kind of odd however coming out with a statement blasting Shelbourne when they probably know the situation is going to go back to court again.

Last edited by Onn; Nov 3, 2014 at 6:40 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 6:25 PM

If related does get control of the site, wouldn't it be a good idea to build a spire -like building because there is already a foundation for that. For example, if they wanted to build a square 500 foot tall building in the place of the spire, they would have to build a new foundation for that building, right?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppalopp View Post
If related does get control of the site, wouldn't it be a good idea to build a spire -like building because there is already a foundation for that. For example, if they wanted to build a square 500 foot tall building in the place of the spire, they would have to build a new foundation for that building, right?
Nope, they could build a ranch home with a 7 floor deep bombshelter basement here if they wanted. The only restriction here is that the South half of the site has no foundations for a tower right now. All of the deep foundations are on the North side of the site. Related probably has SCB drawing up plans for a 500' tall blue glass block for this site as we speak. Or maybe we'll get really lucky and they'll be gracious enough to import another dose of "culture" to our frontier cow town and have RAMSA design a precast concrete box instead.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Same rational I hung my hopes on for Waterview - what a waste of good rock caissons.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 7:44 PM

Quote:
So there's still a chance for the Spire!

Onn, power up the free one man PR machine. Kelleher and Atlas probably can't afford to.

Hopefully Kelleher gets out of this with just his g-string briefs. And he'll be lucky if he does.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
This is like the Jesus of SSP. Always being resurrected again...
No, this is like the Jim Jones of projects. It produces a cult-like legion of followers who will rationalize anything to maintain their collective fantasy until the last remaining option is mass suicide - or rather the skyscraper geek's metaphorical equivalent: dysphoric self-exile from the realm of skyscraper and urban development talk.

Some of you talk disparagingly about the possibility of related instead building a 50 story commie block slab. Most non-Chicagoans would love Related to build a 50 story slab in their city. Some Chicago scraper fans must be spoiled to be able to dismiss such a possibility so off-handedly. I mean, get some perspective. No one is even building 2000 foot buildings in NY or Dubai.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 8:09 PM

Could you summarize what is said in the article please. I think you might need to have a subscription to read it. Anyways, I have another question on the foundation. The spire is a quite uniquely shaped building. This means that its foundation was also uniquely shaped and built with the specific purpose of serving the full spire. I know that someone could theoretically build something a bit different on that foundation, but it seems like they would get the best bang for their buck by building a spirelike building.

Is there a possibility that the foundation will be demolished and restarted?
I sure hope that the spire does get built!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post

Onn, power up the free one man PR machine. Kelleher and Atlas probably can't afford to.

Hopefully Kelleher gets out of this with just his g-string briefs. And he'll be lucky if he does.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 8:20 PM

I predict this thread will still be lingering about, 5 years from now, after Related builds apartments on this site, with people claiming "It can still happen, folks, you just wait..."

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 8:22 PM

so true
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I predict this thread will still be lingering about, 5 years from now, after Related builds apartments on this site, with people claiming "It can still happen, folks, you just wait..."

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 8:47 PM

Quote:

Hey, I'm not the one holding anything up.

I find it funny though that SSC already closed its Spire page replacing it with a Related Midwest Towers thread and this one still says "Dead and Gone." Clearly there's still maneuvering going on, meaning the project is very much alive unlike the media is reporting. “Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated...”

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 8:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ I changed the thread title for you......

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ I changed the thread title for you......
How about proposed?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 8:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
I don't get why people still want to hold onto this, Chicago doesn't need to prove shit and the Phallic like design wasn't too great either. A building this tall is unnecessary anyway.

We'll have better things in the future.
"Think of the children!"

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Some of you talk disparagingly about the possibility of related instead building a 50 story commie block slab. Most non-Chicagoans would love Related to build a 50 story slab in their city. Some Chicago scraper fans must be spoiled to be able to dismiss such a possibility so off-handedly. I mean, get some perspective. No one is even building 2000 foot buildings in NY or Dubai.

Most cities are not Chicago which is why they would be OK with any decent development. We are talking about one of the most prime sites in what is probably the world's most architecturally significant skyline and Related is going to put up some shitbox with the lowest grade materials that will pass building code. That's what Related does in Chicago: mediocrity. We get enough boring filler buildings on the fringes of downtown, I don't know why anyone would find it acceptable to have a massive bucktooth added to our skyline in possibly the most visible location left downtown. Maybe Related will surprise us, but judging by their puffery about "hiring a starchitect for our next Chicago project to up our game" which turned out just to be them pasting a RAMSA BRAND TM skin onto another shit box, I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote:
Could you summarize what is said in the article please. I think you might need to have a subscription to read it. Anyways, I have another question on the foundation. The spire is a quite uniquely shaped building. This means that its foundation was also uniquely shaped and built with the specific purpose of serving the full spire. I know that someone could theoretically build something a bit different on that foundation, but it seems like they would get the best bang for their buck by building a spirelike building.

Is there a possibility that the foundation will be demolished and restarted?
I sure hope that the spire does get built!!!!!
The foundation is virtually impossible to demolish and no, it will have no bearing on the final shape of whatever is built here. Honestly, we are talking about 20' diameter cylinders of solid concrete and steel that extend 125' into the earth and into the bedrock. No one is going to be able to demolish that.

Even if they could, why would they? The magic of reinforced concrete is that you can basically completely change any design halfway through construction by pouring a big ass transfer slab that ties all the existing columns (or in this case cassions) together and then completely reconfigure where the new columns are oriented. That is is likely what we will see here, they will pour a big ass mat that will tie all the existing cassions together to support whatever heinous monstrosity Related chooses to shit out here. The foundations are built to carry the weight of a 2000' building so they could basically anything you can imagine as long as the total loads are significantly below what the cassions would have had to have carried had the Spire been built. The Spire would have involved some pretty massive loads so Related can build basically anything they want. However, we already know that what Related wants to build is the ugliest possible buildings, so don't hold your breath.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects