HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 9:04 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post
they need to shut SSC down and keep it shut down until they resolve what ever is going on rather than this up and down insanity.
Some people suggested this already...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 9:52 AM
mumble

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þróndeimr View Post
Yeah, but would probably increase if a section were made. Same as other sections.

That will give more forumers from the whole world posting more international threads in the main forums as well, since SSP's main forums such as the high-rise forums is also dominated by more or less only USA/Canadian projects. But then, i am pretty sure SSP will be blamed to copy SSC as a few other forums have been...
Eh, "copying" SSC shouldn't be too much of a problem. Other forums got over it.

@Mark: what Trondheimer and Freki are saying is true: the Europe section continues to be confined and restrained. Other parts of SSP have been accorded countless subsections while "Europe" is still lumped and dumped together in one main part and a single subsection called General Discussion, a rather broad and vague term, making for one Projects and one Photos section. By contrast, SSP sports a "Dessert places in Vancouver" or whatever subsection. Little wonder Europeans don't quite feel at home here!

Think of the many countries and languages and cultures and traditions that make up Europe! It may not be as large in area as the US and Canada, but in variety of places and spaces, in contrasts between north and south and east and west, in fame of major capitals and other significant cities, both boom towns and more traditional ones, it does not lag behind North America in any way. Height might not quite keep up with the Supertalls around the world, but Europe sports countless outstanding examples, especially from an architectural point of view. True, SSP is in English and therefore linguistically accessible to the European forumers. But do they necessarily all care what's going on in Chicago? I don't think you can expect it of them.

English, the forum language, is also the only language in which Europeans can communicate among each other, so that's not the problem. But you gents might consider expanding the Europe section for easier navigation, giving the European forumers a place where they might feel more welcome and at home. Thanks! Their ranks might increase as a result of this; I don't think you'd have much trouble getting your required "10-15 locals" together.

Right, guys?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 11:50 AM

They should close the forum for few days to correct the mistakes but they should inform about it few days before. At the momment nobody know why the SSC will be open. I hope today because I have free sunday and i planned to surf SSC whole day.
But I think the SSC will be open when I will haven't time to serf the forum, and when I will find some time for SSC, the forum will be closed. As always...

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 12:45 PM
Lovable dictator

Is Blacksun to blame for this?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 12:51 PM
Honored Member

@ CHapp ,

The actual European section here at SSP is ok by me.
It has always been there so there was never problem finding it.
The one language concept is perfect and divivding a section in more subforums isn't good at all.
The best example for this is SSC where nowadays the subsections are quiet vivid and general forums are as good as useless.
Those general forums were -in the past- the best source to find out what was going on , today you have to learn a foreign language first to find out in which city something does happen.
In other words the local subsections are becoming close communities for outsider, like forums in a forum.

Therefore I have started a lot of threads here in the European section to talk about different cities in one language.
Who's answering them: always the same little bunch of visitors.
Look at the actual situation : 3 cities are well updated London,Paris & Berlin.
I've tried to start other threads about other cities like Moscow and look what happened: people come over to see what is going on.
Other people are posting interesting stuff as well but to say something like 'why would we care about Chicago' is overreacted.
Just go to the pages you are interested in, that's all it takes

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 2:14 PM

It's working!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 4:08 PM

Its not working!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 4:29 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
In other words the local subsections are becoming close communities for outsider, like forums in a forum.
So true. But the local communities are really mighty already I remember when European section was more International and it was cool, but now we have great community in Russian section for example, with very useful people.

Maybe we should rebirth that good ol European section here?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 5:25 PM
Editor

Last edited by van heckler 1; Jun 29, 2008 at 8:47 PM. Reason: I take it back

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 5:27 PM
Adventurous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHapp View Post
Eh, "copying" SSC shouldn't be too much of a problem. Other forums got over it.

@Mark: what Trondheimer and Freki are saying is true: the Europe section continues to be confined and restrained. Other parts of SSP have been accorded countless subsections while "Europe" is still lumped and dumped together in one main part and a single subsection called General Discussion, a rather broad and vague term, making for one Projects and one Photos section. By contrast, SSP sports a "Dessert places in Vancouver" or whatever subsection. Little wonder Europeans don't quite feel at home here!

Think of the many countries and languages and cultures and traditions that make up Europe! It may not be as large in area as the US and Canada, but in variety of places and spaces, in contrasts between north and south and east and west, in fame of major capitals and other significant cities, both boom towns and more traditional ones, it does not lag behind North America in any way. Height might not quite keep up with the Supertalls around the world, but Europe sports countless outstanding examples, especially from an architectural point of view. True, SSP is in English and therefore linguistically accessible to the European forumers. But do they necessarily all care what's going on in Chicago? I don't think you can expect it of them.

English, the forum language, is also the only language in which Europeans can communicate among each other, so that's not the problem. But you gents might consider expanding the Europe section for easier navigation, giving the European forumers a place where they might feel more welcome and at home. Thanks! Their ranks might increase as a result of this; I don't think you'd have much trouble getting your required "10-15 locals" together.

Right, guys?
Yes! I know i would be much more active here with some more European subsections with one for my region. That would probably mean i would be more active in the main forums as well posting stuff about what i know, which isn't about Dallas or Chicago etc.

I could just post it in the European section, but then i come from a small country, where projects and cities is small compared to those on the continent, so i am afraid i won't get much of replies if i posted them!

So if you are a German, French, Italian, Spanish or one from UK i guess just one Europe section here is good enough, but Europe is much more!

Btw, in our local section on SSC we speak english in all the threads, so everyone else on the site can easilly join in, even though it is a local section.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þróndeimr View Post
Yeah, but would probably increase if a section were made. Same as other sections.

That will give more forumers from the whole world posting more international threads in the main forums as well, since SSP's main forums such as the high-rise forums is also dominated by more or less only USA/Canadian projects. But then, i am pretty sure SSP will be blamed to copy SSC as a few other forums have been...
That's true about the highrise sections, but the exception of course is the supertall sections, since most of the projects there are international.

We can experiment with adding a country or 2 as a sub-forum that can also be in the native language as well to see how that develops. Whether it be nordic or whichever else. To see for instance if it catches on.

But it wouldn't necessarily be a copy of SSC, say for instance it's just one forum for everything from that one region.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 9:15 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Thingy is.. we've tried all that before. Different set-ups, sometimes with several regional subsections; there just isn't all that much traffic here even so (sadly).
I'm way open for trying new lay-outs, but I honestly don't see it booming anytime soon because of any such action. What needs to happen is us who ARE active European SSPers start being more active in here; I'm at fault when it comes to that myself (there ain't even a Stockholm thread yet! shame on me!). If we post more in here, activity will pick up and new members will be attracted.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 9:18 PM

Well if there are like 5 people from one area who are interested in posting in a new section then we could give it a try then I suppose.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 12:22 AM

As Swede said, expanding the european section here has been tried, tested and proven a failure. Only within the last couple of years, the European section was broadened out into individual countries. The amount of traffic per subforum was depressing, and because it was even more spread out, it made the euro section look even quieter.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 12:32 AM

Previous experiments in the Latin American sections had also failed. But if there ever were a number of people willing to post in any particular area it would be worth testing out.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 1:27 AM
Registirred User

I think the European forum could use a Coffeetalk thread. Coffeetalk threads are notorious for keeping visitors coming to a subforum while the thread itself usually has 5 or so regular contributors.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 1:38 AM

perhaps

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 8:17 AM
mumble

Thanks for the coffeebar thread, Mark!

@Grumpy, Swede, Siberian, Trondheimer: thanks for the input. I'll get back to you on the subject later.

In the meantime, have any of you seen Freki's nighttime drive in Copenhagen thread?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...79#post3643979

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 5:53 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

SSC is down again, but atleast it lasted around 24h of almost flawless runtime this time

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 12:51 PM

blubb

Last edited by GNU; Jul 1, 2008 at 1:41 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe