HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 10:15 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
1st pic is interesting.

Question about the 3rd pic. I noticed 4 red tower lights to the right of the 4 Seasons Residencies. I don't remember seeing those before. Are those recent towers? Where are they located exactly??

On second thought, I think I know where they are and probably have seen them before. Just never gave much thought about them until now.
I'm pretty sure those are the 4 towers along FM 973 in East Austin.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/2.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:23 PM
Meh

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 6:07 PM

Wow, such great pics!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 11:20 PM
Meh

Check out Coldrsx's photo thread of Austin. He was here for the F1 race.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=236560

Also be sure to check out his thread he did on San Antonio.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=236475

Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 8:03 PM

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 2:52 AM

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
Great pictures!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 2:18 AM

Hi all,

Hows it going? I haven't been here for a while. Here is some new (and some old unpublished) time lapse video of Austin. Hope you enjoy!

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

More to come!

Alexander Stross

Last edited by TXAlex; Dec 22, 2018 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 4:54 PM

Those are fun to watch--thanks for posting!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 12:20 AM

I'm usually pretty against ReasonTV due to their right-wing trolling but this video does a pretty good job of showing how bad the NIMBYism is in San Francisco.

Video Link

God help us if we ever get this bad.

Although I would say the McKalla Place shenanigans of Leslie Pool and Allison Alter are almost comparable.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 2:44 AM
World Traveler

"The reason that the displacement is taking place...is we haven't built any housing in fifteen years!"

This is tough because developers aren't always interested in appealing to the original residents, but rather wealthy tenants or buyers. That said, it's hard to force businesses to do stuff...yet affordable housing is good...

It is tough all around, but this example is one that Austin and other cities should definitely pay attention to. Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 5:45 AM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
I'm usually pretty against ReasonTV due to their right-wing trolling but this video does a pretty good job of showing how bad the NIMBYism is in San Francisco.

Video Link

God help us if we ever get this bad.

Although I would say the McKalla Place shenanigans of Leslie Pool and Allison Alter are almost comparable.
Omg that was painful to watch.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 6:29 PM

So how many of the apartments in that eyesore they wanted to build do you think would have been priced so that residents of the neighborhood could afford them? The issue isn't development; there is plenty of development in San Francisco as anyone who has been there in recent years knows. The problem is displacement of residents by wealthier residents. Building more high-end residential units isn't going to solve the problem; it's only going to make it worse.

San Francisco suffers from (1) being the most beautiful city in the country with the possible exception of Seattle and (2) being confined to a very small geographical area. Austin can expand all over hell and gone. San Francisco is surrounded on three sides by water.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2018, 6:18 PM

Sounds like the owners are dedicated to instituting the mandated amount of affordable housing. Fact is, the owner of the property has a legal right to sell their property for a profit. Sure, it would be nice if rent controls could allow everybody who has historically lived there to stay there (I wish they would do the same in Austin for those of us who were born here and being kicked out of our own city) but if that's what residents want then they need to pass a law mandating that. Making up bullshit fucking reasons or blaming racism is disingenuous.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 7:21 PM

Downtown Austin from a 1963 Phonebook, via David Whitworth's twitter:

https://twitter.com/dcwatx/status/1075233451765362688

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
Downtown Austin from a 1963 Phonebook, via David Whitworth's twitter:

https://twitter.com/dcwatx/status/1075233451765362688

WOW! look at those jets refueling. So cool.

I can't believe the lack of trees along LBL.....this town is like a chameleon.

Great Post.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post

This is tough because developers aren't always interested in appealing to the original residents, but rather wealthy tenants or buyers. That said, it's hard to force businesses to do stuff...yet affordable housing is good...
No and yes..... Developers care about one thing, money. They don't care if the existing residents buy/rent or if newcomers come in. BTW, in my considerable experience with developers, I'd say 20-30% of the new occupants ARE from the neighborhood, and are PUMPED to have a new/nice place to live.

Developers don't care about who the hell buys/rents. They really don't. It's the NIMBY's who only want people like themselves to live there. They project their tribalism onto developers.

The word "affordable" has no business ever being linked to "housing". Affordable to who? Everyone? It is all relative. If it was truly "un-affordable" the units will not sell....banker will foreclose and sell them at "affordable" rates, to recoup their money at a loss. Happens all the time, might happen in the near future if you believe all the rumors of a recession.

Subsidized housing is VERY expensive to build and maintain, and then, who gets to live there and who doesn't? Why is one person more deserving than another? How does the prospect of losing a housing voucher affect the upward mobility of some tenants (I've literally seen a sec 8 tenant turn down a big job promotion, because she didn't want to lose her voucher)
Not to mention, the cost is passed through to us all via increased taxes, duh.

Developers build new properties and they become "all the rage" because they are "new" and things like; they are much more efficient than older housing stock, etc. The land costs a ton of money, the cost to build is very expensive, the materials are crazy expensive. The result = expensive housing.......but the flip side is, when you allow developers to "over-build" which they invariably do (its impossible to time a market downturn), prices of older units come down. Just like a new car is not affordable, but a good used one can be. I've lived through this exact example in Austin 3 different times....late 80's, early 00's, and again in '08. My housing prices declined as a percentage of my expenditures each of those times.

The only way out of a housing shortage......IS TO BUILD MORE FREAKING HOUSING.....FFS. Want prices to decrease, build too much, and watch landlords offer 2 months free.

The progressives offer zero credible theories as to how to reduce housing prices. They really are the "no" people, quoting the movie.

BTW, why is it ok to assume a certain group can't afford to live in any one area of town? My ex-wife's father in law, was appalled that people assumed Hispanics needed assistance. It insulted him, as a proud "Chicano"- was the word he used. He was born and raised in E Austin, attended UT in the 60's, like his father before him in the 40's.

He felt the white people in W Austin placated the Austin Hispanic community, and tried to appease them with handouts. He demanded that his daughter not be considered as Hispanic on her application to UT Engineering school. He said, I taught my daughter her whole life that she is just as smart as anyone else, why is the admissions department saying she needs special help? He said it undermined him as father. Strong willed man...who made a lot of good points. Miss talking with him.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
Developers don't care about who the hell buys/rents. They really don't. It's the NIMBY's who only want people like themselves to live there. They project their tribalism onto developers.
This is good, and correct.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 1:34 AM
Meh

That's pretty cool. If I'm not mistaken, that's a Boeing KC-135 tanker and a Boeing 52-Stratofortress. At one time, at least, they had several B52s at Bergstrom off and on.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
The only way out of a housing shortage......IS TO BUILD MORE FREAKING HOUSING.....FFS.

In other words, turn San Francisco into one, big Stuyvestant Town. Is that what you're suggesting?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin