HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 8:29 PM

He does make a good point. Do the poor and criminals in Europe just never get to the level of wanting to kill others because they can't find a gun? Could be. Killing someone with a gun is LIGHTYEARS easier for a human than looking someone in the eye and coming within inches of them with a knife etc.. But there are of course other factors which come into play. Culture. American culture overall and Southern rural culture which I think has been transcribed into many black Americans.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
He does make a good point. Do the poor and criminals in Europe just never get to the level of wanting to kill others because they can't find a gun? Could be. Killing someone with a gun is LIGHTYEARS easier for a human than looking someone in the eye and coming within inches of them with a knife etc.. But there are of course other factors which come into play. Culture. American culture overall and Southern rural culture which I think has been transcribed into many black Americans.
Yeah, I was going to make that same point. It's a lot easier to pull a trigger from a distance than to kill someone with a knife just inches away from them. This is less of a problem today, but the phenomenon of drive-by shootings is something distinctly American, too. Cars and guns are not exactly common in Europe. Plus, this country is just more of a violent and volatile place than much of Europe, I suppose excluding the world wars (hah).

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
London has an unusually low murder rate. But London has a quite high crime rate, higher than NYC. And I was talking about Europe/Canada, not the UK.
Homicides are usually quite easy to identify and compare globally. The three big issues around comparing non-homicide crime figures on an international basis is the lack of conformity in definitions, reporting and recording. Political interference, police corruption, lack of trust in the police, high violence rates, poor data collecting, pooling of offences, etc… creates irreparable issues for comparisons. It is incredibly rare to have cities with high homicide rates and not have correspondingly overall high crime rates (criminal enterprises are food chains after all); it is just that like an iceberg, you’re not getting a complete picture.

I did refer to outlier smaller Western Europe and larger Eastern European cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
And you aren't comparing apples to apples. You're comparing GLA to NYC proper, which makes no sense. NYC suburbs have very low murder rates, and much of the GLA is more analogous to places like Westchester and Fairfield Counties.
I’m not getting the similarities of the Outer London boroughs with the likes of Westchester and Fairfield counties. The borough with the lowest density (the London Borough of Bromley) is still 3x and 4x denser respectively than those counties. Bromley falls under the responsibility of the Metropolitan Police Service; the police force of London, the equivalent of the New York City Police Department, which doesn't serve Westchester and Fairfield counties.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 3:57 PM

Denver, CO is at 37 homicides, down from 46 this time last year.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 10:39 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Much harder to have a drive-by with a manual transmission.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 12:08 PM

A murder yesterday of a 7 year old marks the eleventh killing of a child in St. Louis since June of this year. Insane.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:38 PM

city murder rates

Per the St. Louis Post Dispatch this morning "ST. LOUIS — Xavier Usanga was about 15 hours away from a new school year as a second grader at Clay Elementary when he was fatally shot Monday while standing near an 18-year-old who was also shot but survived.
The 8-year-old’s death makes him the 11th area child killed in a shooting since June. About half of them attended St. Louis Public Schools, said Kelvin Adams, superintendent of the St. Louis Public School District." Sad.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:41 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytwoeyes View Post
A murder yesterday of a 7 year old marks the eleventh killing of a child in St. Louis since June of this year. Insane.
woah, that is insane.

even by chicago standards.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
woah, that is insane.

even by chicago standards.
St Louis crime is out of control. A lot of the same issues there that exist in Chicago. Indianapolis is seeing a similar spike with 93 homicides so far this year.

https://fox59.com/2019/08/06/impd-in...s-across-indy/

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Yeah, I was going to make that same point. It's a lot easier to pull a trigger from a distance than to kill someone with a knife just inches away from them. This is less of a problem today, but the phenomenon of drive-by shootings is something distinctly American, too. Cars and guns are not exactly common in Europe. Plus, this country is just more of a violent and volatile place than much of Europe, I suppose excluding the world wars (hah).
You could also kill someone with a sword, you don't have to get so close then haha.

So basically Europeans kill each other in one horrific bloodbath for a couple years, and then relax. During the 30 years war in the 17th century, HALF of the German population was killed by war. Armies would come and slaughter random countryside villages wholesale. Talk about death and destruction, imagine half of the entire population of the US getting killed over a 30 year period. They must have thought the world was ending! I don't think anyone today could comprehend the violence at that time.

While Americans kill each other slowly over a long period of time. Which is worse?

Last edited by Baronvonellis; Aug 13, 2019 at 3:06 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytwoeyes View Post
What definition are we using for a "child?" Because if it is someone below the age of 18 I am not surprised. In a lot of really bad areas, turning 12 means you are a man.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 11:36 PM

Los Angeles as of 8/3

2019 - 155
2018 - 157
2017 - 160

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
You could also kill someone with a sword, you don't have to get so close then haha.

So basically Europeans kill each other in one horrific bloodbath for a couple years, and then relax. During the 30 years war in the 17th century, HALF of the German population was killed by war. Armies would come and slaughter random countryside villages wholesale. Talk about death and destruction, imagine half of the entire population of the US getting killed over a 30 year period. They must have thought the world was ending! I don't think anyone today could comprehend the violence at that time.

While Americans kill each other slowly over a long period of time. Which is worse?
The last time that happened in the US was the Civil War I guess which had a million or so deaths. That was a long time ago, 160 years, but the last major war in Europe ended 75 years ago so that's also a pretty long time, very few people are alive today who fought in that war.

I guess you could count the Yugoslavian wars 25 years ago with 130,000-140,000 deaths, I suppose the equivalent of that in North America would be the Central American civil wars of the 1970s/80s which killed a few hundred thousands.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 12:30 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

I don’t think war is a useful comparison. Americans at the median don’t kill each other much more than Europeans, it’s the fact that we have sub populations with huge homicide rates that drags up the average.

In Europe there are populations within countries with very high murder rates

For example the gypsies (Romany) per capita homicide rate in Finland is 25 per 100k. This is approaching African American levels.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 5:48 PM

Montreal pop: 2.1M is at 10 on the year.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 2:44 PM

Oklahoma City (pop 650,000) is at 49.

https://oklahoman.com/article/563927...micide-of-year

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcapo View Post
Another 3 shootings yesterday resulting in 2 dead and another two wounded.

Shooting related murders are now at 11 in Stockholm and the total number (knife, beatings etc) is somewhere between 20 - 25.

The record for murders with a firearm was 2017 with 19 for the full year.

At 26th of August:

Stockholm Metro (pop 2.3 mil) is somewhere between 31-34.
13 are from shootings.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
I don’t think war is a useful comparison. Americans at the median don’t kill each other much more than Europeans, it’s the fact that we have sub populations with huge homicide rates that drags up the average.

In Europe there are populations within countries with very high murder rates

For example the gypsies (Romany) per capita homicide rate in Finland is 25 per 100k. This is approaching African American levels.
There is only 10,000 Roma in Finland

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcapo View Post
At 26th of August:

Stockholm Metro (pop 2.3 mil) is somewhere between 31-34.
13 are from shootings.

Malmö (pop 333 333) in the southernmost part of Sweden (bordering with Copenhagen, Denmark) have frequently been mentioned as the most violent city in Scandinavia because of its number if shootings and per-capita murder rate.

This year has however so far been somewhat calm and shootings and bombings are down by alot.
However yesterday a woman was shot in the head outside while walking with her newborn child, making it the 3rd murder with a firearm this year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...m-shooting/amp

Last edited by ilcapo; Aug 27, 2019 at 1:50 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post

Yeah, it's very important to remember that we're living in the least violent period in modern human history. Europe today is a miracle. Europeans were extremely violent towards each other throughout history, and suddenly that stopped after WW2.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions