HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 6:34 PM

At one point there was an Italian sit-down fast food joint across from BK in Portage Place... Sbarro perhaps? Maybe even one other restaurant, I can't remember exactly. But they were pretty busy at one time... it was kind of an auxiliary food court at the west end of the mall. But the others closed down and then only BK was left with very little foot traffic to sustain it. So the location made great sense in 1987 although by 2007 it was clearly no longer working.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
At one point there was an Italian sit-down fast food joint across from BK in Portage Place... Sbarro perhaps? Maybe even one other restaurant, I can't remember exactly. But they were pretty busy at one time... it was kind of an auxiliary food court at the west end of the mall. But the others closed down and then only BK was left with very little foot traffic to sustain it. So the location made great sense in 1987 although by 2007 it was clearly no longer working.
From my understanding BK was doing ok, but there was a corporate mandated upgrade/refresh of some kind and it wasn't economically feasible for them so they shut it down.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
I bet TNS will have a Stella's.

A 24 hour downtown Salisbury would kick my drunk ass.
I can't imagine Stella's opening another location 4 blocks from the very successful Plugin one. That being said there is SO MUCH room for another player to take on Stella's near-monopoly on brunch in Winnipeg haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
A storefront McDonalds or Fatburger would be great.
I think a big McDonalds facing the plaza at TNS would be honestly ideal for there. McDonalds are for one really really nice now, and they do offer a lot of intangible value/benefits, similar to the Starbucks effect. It would be a hive of activity at all hours, good place to grab a coffee whether you eat or not. Modern day internet cafe really. Go to any McD's in a busy area of a big city and they're always buzzing.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 12:41 AM
BANNED

Totally.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 12:44 PM

I miss the mcdonalds that was rite by UofW....a location at TNS will be a no brainer.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 1:04 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 1:34 PM

That one in Rotterdam is gorgeous.

It doesn't even have to be anything fancy to work here... the one in CityPlace is usually busy from morning until closing time, wouldn't it be great if some of that activity were brought to the street instead of at Skywalk level?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
That being said there is SO MUCH room for another player to take on Stella's near-monopoly on brunch in Winnipeg haha.
Cora's is slowly moving in on the chain brunch turf of Stella's. There are many much better options from small, one location local players too.

As for McDonalds in TNS, it won't happen unless the extremely popular and busy CityPlace location is relocating.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 6:01 PM

I was definitely joking about Stella's in TNS. They're everywhere.

For good reason, though. Tasty food and an admirable supply line that can keep a lot of locations in fresh, good food.

I don't think Cora's is even in their league. Cora's can duke it out with Pancake House and lose. Their food is vaguely gross and the atmosphere sucks.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 6:10 PM

^ I actually like the food at Cora's, but it caters to a different crowd than the hipsters congregating at Stella's. Cora's is also breakfast focused, isn't it? I don't think they do anything like the evenings/late nights that Stella's does.

Stella's has really become a local institution in fairly short order... in a way it has inherited the mantle that Salisbury House used to have as the go-to place for a reasonably inexpensive and convenient breakfast and lunch.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 6:16 PM

Quote:
^ I actually like the food at Cora's, but it caters to a different crowd than the hipsters congregating at Stella's. Cora's is also breakfast focused, isn't it? I don't think they do anything like the evenings/late nights that Stella's does.

Stella's has really become a local institution in fairly short order... in a way it has inherited the mantle that Salisbury House used to have as the go-to place for a reasonably inexpensive and convenient breakfast and lunch.
Yeah Cora's is pretty much breakfast/brunch. I believe the reason they replaced Cora's on Provencher was CCFM wanted something that was opened later.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 6:21 PM

Always socials going on at the French centre. So makes sense to have something open late night that.

I've been to Cora's a few times for breakfast and thought it was just fine. It's pretty hard to screw up bacon and eggs.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 6:30 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
^ I actually like the food at Cora's, but it caters to a different crowd than the hipsters congregating at Stella's.
Stella's isn't really a hipster place.

Stella's clientele are more of a middle-aged crowd. The kind that wear their khakis, Keen shoes and Columbia goretex rain jackets.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 6:43 PM

But they were on Sherbrook before it was cool.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

As for McDonalds in TNS, it won't happen unless the extremely popular and busy CityPlace location is relocating.

Wonder if it would be 24hours? Also as for the convenience factor, while walking the streets of down town (isnt that what SHED is suppose to promote?) i'd much rather choose the TNS location and eat outside than go to a drab old looking shopping mall. Who really parks their car and chooses the City Place location as their McDonlads of choice anyways?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Stella's isn't really a hipster place.

Stella's clientele are more of a middle-aged crowd. The kind that wear their khakis, Keen shoes and Columbia goretex rain jackets.
The only ones I go to with any degree of regularity are the Portage, Osborne and Airport locations... the latter gets an airport crowd but the other two definitely seem to skew to younger hipster types in both clientele and staff during the times I go. And it's certainly hipster compared to Sal's where the clientele generally fits into one of three categories: "retiree", "drifter" or both

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 7:30 PM

I like how much we're focussing on 24hr businesses. A couple 24 hr spots in TNS would keep it lively and safe and be a boon to downtown.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 7:50 PM
BANNED

Right? A 24 hour diner would be popular.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
But they were on Sherbrook before it was cool.
And before they were smoked out

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 8:04 PM

After reading a few comments, Papa George's came to mind ... Anyone have his number? Joking. Although very handy during my days in the village.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan