HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Gotcha! Thanks.
It so stateth under skyscraperpage constitution section xxi, subsection ii(b) that no structure mayeth be considereth under construction unless:
a) the foundation is layeth.
a-1) a foundation is thus layeth when the base of the structure is No less than 6 cubits and no more than one furlong from the nearest slop seller and no more the 20 cubits from the nearest blacksmithery.
a-2) nor more than 1 furlong from the nearest alehouse, or ale maid.
b) the smithmasters quarters must have the deed to the foundation nailed no higher than 1 rod from the base of the door to the top of the horseshoe naileth in proximity to the doorway on whicheth the deed is nailed hitherto.
b-1) the smith master must have an alehouse or alechamber within his premises.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 1:17 AM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Question, maybe TV can answer.

Will the white, metal exterior that exists on the current building be changed as well? Seems to be in fairly good shape from the renovation a while back. I know the whole building will be undergoing renovations, not just the addition.

The exterior in the renderings seems to look very similar.
The facade will be retained. The need to tear off the southern most end so they can tie into the existing building. The glass portion over York will act as a transition to the new addition.

.....from what I understand anyways.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 1:54 AM

Congrats Winnipeg; you're beating Ottawa once again with a much bigger Convention Centre! Ours is only 200,000 square feet vs. your 400,000+.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 1:59 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
It so stateth under skyscraperpage constitution section xxi, subsection ii(b) that no structure mayeth be considereth under construction unless:
a-1) a foundation is thus layeth when the base of the structure is No less than 6 cubits and no more than one furlong from the nearest slop seller and no more the 20 cubits from the nearest blacksmithery.
b) the smithmasters quarters must have the deed to the foundation nailed no higher than 1 rod from the base of the door to the top of the horseshoe naileth in proximity to the doorway on whicheth the deed is nailed hitherto.
I wish we could vote comments up.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The facade will be retained. The need to tear off the southern most end so they can tie into the existing building. The glass portion over York will act as a transition to the new addition.

That is correct...the expansion is to have same panels...and will have masonry as well.

I'm one of the guys working on the project as far as drawing it up

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 12:23 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing. What kind of stupid "rule" is that.

The building is publicly funded and construction is WELL under way, yet it is still "proposed".

Time to chill out a bit there ajs1.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 12:48 PM

^^^ Yes we had this same discussion 2 pages ago post #121 in this exact same thread. It was decided that nothing was actually decided?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 2:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctochico View Post
That is correct...the expansion is to have same panels...and will have masonry as well.

I'm one of the guys working on the project as far as drawing it up
Cool, thanks guys.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Will the white, metal exterior that exists on the current building be changed as well? Seems to be in fairly good shape from the renovation a while back. I know the whole building will be undergoing renovations, not just the addition.
I recall that the current style of the WCC extior was choosen to match the design of choice for MTS Centre at the time. Obviously MTS Centre changed the design language but not after it was too late for WCC.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 2:51 PM

Quote:
This is officially the best post ever made on SSP Forum. Congrats Dennis. You made me pee myself.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 3:27 AM

I ascend myself to ssp court jester.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 1:45 PM

A couple photos from yesterday. In a similar state as a few days ago. Can someone answer me this. The contractor is placing geogrid (or some type of geotextile type fabric) on the slopes around the perimeter of the site. Is this a permanent feature or will this be removed once construction progresses further? Ie: a foundation wall at the sidewalk? Or will there be a partial basement?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 1:51 PM
What could go wrong?

One of the nicest, cleanest construction sites I have seen.

.....I thought those sloped walls with white fabric were odd as well.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 2:10 PM

They also pushed the west road barrier out one more lane of traffic.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Or will there be a partial basement?
Thier will be 1 level of partial underground parking IIRC?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 2:36 PM

Quote:

.....I thought those sloped walls with white fabric were odd as well.
erosion control?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldSmith View Post
erosion control?
That's kind of what I'm thinking. Looks very nicely shaped though just to be temporary. Or maybe they just have a machine operator who can control his equipment.

Maybe the don't want a street collapse like at the Women's Hospital.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 4:18 PM

Article in the free press today about the new hotel, or lack thereof, at the convention center

"THE Winnipeg Convention Centre is refuting claims its $181-million expansion is threatened by the sluggish development of the hotel component of the project.

Convention centre president and CEO Klaus Lahr said Wednesday the facility's expansion is slightly ahead of construction schedule, as foundation and concrete work of the new wing south of York Avenue has commenced."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...224361661.html

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 5:59 PM

^^ Well their refuting the claim it will affect the WCC and actually are saying they are ahead of schedule.?

As to the Hotel..
Quote:
Lahr said Wednesday while he is not in charge of the hotel development, he is aware talks are underway with several hotel developers and potential brands. An announcement is expected this fall, he said.

"The expansion is not threatened in any way. It is an entirely separate component," he said in an interview.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...224361661.html

Doesn't sound like anything is too out of wack here? We need one of our insiders here, otherwise It's wait and see in the next month or two? Is this a typical, oh know, somethings wrong, winnipeg story?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 6:13 PM

It seems like what was supposed to be a negative story contained more good news than bad.
I think TV said the hotel will be better than a Hilton, guess we just have to wait and see...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan