HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 3:32 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
mpi does charge a surchage on ur licence though.........
Which is peanuts.

In Alberta, get convicted of a DUI and your insurance goes to $5000+/year (as it should). In Manitoba you get a handful of demerits and your insurance goes up almost nothing.

Yet if you are a good driver here. You pay considerably more to cover for the crappy drivers and the deals they are getting here.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2011, 4:24 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Which is peanuts.

In Alberta, get convicted of a DUI and your insurance goes to $5000+/year (as it should). In Manitoba you get a handful of demerits and your insurance goes up almost nothing.
But don't you have a programme where they have to have the Breathalyzer thing to start the car if you're convicted of a DUI? That would reduce the risk and bring the cost of insurance down, compared to a model like Alberta's or Ontario's where if you're a habitual drunk driver, all you have to do is pay that fine and you can drink and drive all you want. You have to considering things like that when comparing pricing.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 4:58 PM

In my experience it is cheaper getting quotes online. Some of the bigger companies offer discounts when ordering online, because it is less work for them. But to be safe you could compare quotes online, pick the best offer and try a local agency to see if they can match it or do better.

I recommend this site for online comparing: http://www.quotes-center.com/auto-insurance-calculator

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 6:31 PM

What do people think about the new Bombers' schedule? I wish there were at least 1 or 2 saturday games in the summer, and am not a big fan of the thursday night games in July... But, I guess enough season ticket holders have cabins that they have to accomodate them. At least we don't play Hamilton 4 weeks in a row

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 9:03 PM

For research purposes, I'm pleased to see that Google now has scanned in the archives of the Leader-Post (thru 1987) and the Star-Phoenix (only thru 1967). I don't see extensive archives for any Winnipeg papers, though.

http://news.google.ca/newspapers

No more scrolling through microfilm at the library! Yay!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 10:44 PM
working stiff

Nice! Digging up the past for the masses.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 10:50 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the freepress is availible through a pay to acces system its like i think its 15$ for a for a week or theres yearly subscription options also quite nice set up they have

example this came from the archives

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 11:49 PM
I am a typical

Not a very long way away from your harbouring of Icelandic people now, is it? Only 54 more to go before you break the immigrant hoarding record!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2011, 1:58 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

hahahahahahahaa

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Losing Sin City and the rats nest formerly known as the Howard Johnson is a huge win. One step in the right direction to getting some image routes around the airport.
Anyone know how many strip clubs are left in the city?

Last edited by cheswick; Feb 22, 2011 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 9:06 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I preferred the design that looked like the building was oozing green goo.
I don't know...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 11:32 PM
GQMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
wth?

gentalmens club downtown palimino on portage teasers archibald and marion. Theres another out by the airport somewhere and theres more out there............... only been to one my self and coulda cared less realy quite boring
You should head down to Vegas and check out the chippendales.. This should excite you.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 7:52 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

aww vid....... ur taking things outa context face palms agg

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 2:23 AM
working stiff

So you want to be an architect?

Most of you will get a good laugh from this video (especially you architects).

Video Link

Last edited by Ruckus; Feb 25, 2011 at 2:28 AM. Reason: emphasis

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 2:34 AM

haha nice post ruckus...Some things about that are true, some are not. The Schooling part is true, but so far the working part is not all that true. that video makes it sound worse.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 2:49 AM
working stiff

Avoid the larger firms and you probably won't be working on bathrooms and staircases all day

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 9:23 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Yes, but if you are a remotely bad driver, or move into Alberta from another province - you will pay substantially more than here...

Not to mention the glass replacement... Every second car in Alberta has a cracked windshield because insurance doesn't cover the replacement unless you opt to pay more for such services.
Windshields here are all cracked because of the absolute shit they use for sand on the roads. It's basically gravel and your windshield will have chips and cracks within a year. The insurance situation makes it even worse, absolutely - but in all my time in Manitoba I only once had to replace a windshield. Out here, 3 times in 6 years so far. It's insane.

Overall I miss the public insurance option. MPI is not without its flaws, and yes, my insurance went down hundreds of dollars when I moved to Calgary - but there's a lot wrong with the private system. It REALLY hammers young drivers unfairly. I'm all for a small age surcharge (young drivers are horrible), and I'm all for nailing people with bad driving records - but a young guy who's been driving for several years with zero accidents or tickets shouldn't be paying thousands a year. Insurance is about spreading risk, not trying to charge people the exact amount based on factors beyond their control.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 12:48 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
...there's a lot wrong with the private system. It REALLY hammers young drivers unfairly. I'm all for a small age surcharge (young drivers are horrible), and I'm all for nailing people with bad driving records - but a young guy who's been driving for several years with zero accidents or tickets shouldn't be paying thousands a year. Insurance is about spreading risk, not trying to charge people the exact amount based on factors beyond their control.
The excessive cost of insurance is one of the reasons why so many young people today are foregoing car ownership at all. I don't have a licence and until this age bias is eliminated, I'm not even going to bother getting one. (This is beside the facts that a: I can't afford a car and b: I live downtown, everything I need is in walking distance or on a bus route, so having a car would be like having a giant money eating boulder that I have to accommodate 24/7.)

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 2:32 AM
Regina SK

The Saskatchewanians on here might enjoy this, and maybe even some Manitobees.

hotelhistories.blogspot.com

It's a friend of mine who started it and she is doing a wonderful job!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 5:25 AM

While I certainly have some issues with the govt run insurance companies, the biggest advantage they offer is their treatment of young drivers. I believe that a person is innocent until proven guilty. Granted that the driving record of new drivers in general is very poor, but all young drivers shouldn't be held accountable for the behaviour of some. I'm certain that the neither the elderly nor recent immigrants face the same type of discriminatory pricing that young drivers face under the private vehicle insurance system.

I feel privileged to have my children able to afford to own their own cars here in Sask. If they screw up and record a claim, the price of their license goes up, but at least they are not being punished for something that they haven't yet done.

The rest of the Crown Corps can be privatized, but that's another issue altogether...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan