HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 11, 2011, 12:24 AM
working stiff

Sign gardens...haha

People just tune out when signage gets this thick. Too much ugliness for the sake of 'safety' IMO.

Source

Old Posted Mar 11, 2011, 12:29 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

omg thats crazy must be a new round about so their trying to get peoples atention

Old Posted Mar 11, 2011, 12:58 AM
working stiff

What they should have done is permitted local retailers to throw up a forest of neon letter boards...lol. People slow down for the deal of the week.

Typical scene along a Saskatoon commercial/retail corridor.

Source

Scurge of the urban landscape.

Businesses need to advertise I suppose.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2011, 10:12 AM
I am a typical

I thought the sign on the bottom right said "Povertinos". Those signs outnumber cars in some of our parking lots, it's ridiculous. The city has a by-law limiting them but it doesn't get enforced. Another problem is those billboards on trailers that just get moved to another spot when they're charged for violating sign by-laws.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2011, 2:54 PM

Yuck. I HATE seeing these things when I drive down 8th Street. They are a blight on the landscape and I wish they could be banned. I'm sure I wouldn't feel as strongly if there weren't so damn many of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
What they should have done is permitted local retailers to throw up a forest of neon letter boards...lol. People slow down for the deal of the week.

Typical scene along a Saskatoon commercial/retail corridor.

Source

Scurge of the urban landscape.

Businesses need to advertise I suppose.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 6:46 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm310 View Post
Yuck. I HATE seeing these things when I drive down 8th Street. They are a blight on the landscape and I wish they could be banned. I'm sure I wouldn't feel as strongly if there weren't so damn many of them.
Funny story about Poverinos... they used to be in Regina... closed down after a pretty big drug bust if I remember right. Good food though.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 5:58 AM

They just did a skit on SNL (making fun of Canadians, essentially. haha) that took place in Winnipeg and Kristen Wiig mentioned Saskatoon.

WE'RE BOTH FAMOUS!!!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 11:10 PM

Question to the Saskatchewan forumers - Why don't you guys have daylight savings time?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Question to the Saskatchewan forumers - Why don't you guys have daylight savings time?
We're ON daylight saving time, year round. Based on the position of the sun, Saskatchewan should be in sync with Alberta all the time. Which is exactly how it would be if everyone else sprang forward, and didn't fall back again. And why shouldn't they? The spring forward date has already been moved ahead, and the fall back date pushed back. If daylight time is so great, why not just leave it that way? And so goes Saskatchewan. But try telling that to the golfers who think they're being cheated out of an extra hour in the evening.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 6:59 AM

To be absolutely correct about it, most of Saskatchewan (with a few exceptions) observes Central Standard Time year-round, codified in provincial legislation called The Time Act in 1966.

Source: Saskatchewan Time System

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
We're ON daylight saving time, year round. Based on the position of the sun, Saskatchewan should be in sync with Alberta all the time. Which is exactly how it would be if everyone else sprang forward, and didn't fall back again. And why shouldn't they? The spring forward date has already been moved ahead, and the fall back date pushed back. If daylight time is so great, why not just leave it that way? And so goes Saskatchewan. But try telling that to the golfers who think they're being cheated out of an extra hour in the evening.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 10:04 AM
I am a typical

Some communities in Northwestern Ontario also ignore daylight saving time, so some communities are now in central time instead of eastern. Since we're so far west for our time zone, we're sort of in DST year round and when DST does kick in, we're in "double DST". In Atikokan's case, they are referred to as being in Central Daylight Saving Time year round, which puts them in Eastern Time in winter, or basically, UTC-5 year-round. Thunder Bay is now in UTC-4.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
We're ON daylight saving time, year round. Based on the position of the sun, Saskatchewan should be in sync with Alberta all the time.
Wtf? I think you need to check with the great Canadian Sir Stanford Fleming, the inventor of universal standard time.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
Wtf? I think you need to check with the great Canadian Sir Stanford Fleming, the inventor of universal standard time.
I think you do. He's right.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by river that calls View Post
I think you do. He's right.
How about that? Drafting time zones is sure not an exact science is it?

In 1912, the first Saskatchewan law was passed that called for the use of standard time. This law left the choice of time zone up to the municipal government. The result was a patchwork of towns following either of the two neighbouring time zones (Mountain Standard Time or Central Standard Time) with or without daylight saving time. During World War I and World War II, all municipalities were forced to adopt daylight saving time to save on fuel, but were not forced to adopt the same time zone.

In 1966, the Saskatchewan Provincial Government sought the help of a professional astronomer living in the province. The Milton Study (Earl R.V. Milton - A submission to the Government of Saskatchewan regarding Time Zones in Saskatchewan, 1966) a) concluded that Saskatchewan is in the Mountain Standard Time Zone, and b) suggested that the three prairie provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba) covered too much area to share a single time zone.

In 1966, based on the Milton Study, the Saskatchewan Government passed Chapter 85, to be known as the Time Act, 1966 (Statutes of Saskatchewan, 1966). The key points of this act were:

The eastern part of Saskatchewan will permanently be one hour ahead of Mountain Standard Time (the equivalent of Mountain Daylight Time or Central Standard Time).
In the western part of Saskatchewan, municipal governments will still be able to choose what time zone to follow.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 2:58 AM

OK. I may as well chime in with my two cents as well. Yes, officially Saskatchewan is on Central Standard time which, as previosuly noted, is the same as Mountain Daylight time. But take a look at a time zone map and it becomes immediately apparent that Saskatchewan truly belongs in the Mountain time zone. So to observe Daylight Savings time, while remaining in the Central time zone, would be akin to Double Daylight savings time.

In other words, my vote is to keep things as they are. If pressed, I could be convinced to have Sask considered Mountain time and observe Daylight Savings time, resulting in us being the same time as Alberta all year long. From a business sense this would work out the best, as at least other people in the country could figure out what time it is in Sask and we do considerably more work with Alberta companies than with Manitoba companies.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 12:42 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
The crops will burn, the cows will not know when to milk, the chickens will get confused and not lay eggs. Saskatchewan will cease to exist without a good hearty breakfast.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo View Post
The crops will burn, the cows will not know when to milk, the chickens will get confused and not lay eggs. Saskatchewan will cease to exist without a good hearty breakfast.
Hahaha, of all the explanations, this one sounds the best! lol

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 6:27 PM
working stiff

lol, I agree. babo has top-drawer insights on Saskatchewan haha

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 12:55 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Anyone catch last week's SNL?

SNL vs Winnipeg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUtNb...layer_embedded

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Anyone catch last week's SNL?

SNL vs Winnipeg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUtNb...layer_embedded
Uh, YA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsim249 View Post
They just did a skit on SNL (making fun of Canadians, essentially. haha) that took place in Winnipeg and Kristen Wiig mentioned Saskatoon.

WE'RE BOTH FAMOUS!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan