HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 11:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
GW offered a reasonable explanation for the "safety" area locations. http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=18423 But that begs the question, whether people walking to the safety zones were actually jaywalking. And when/why did LA gain the reputation of being the only major metropolis with little tolerance for Jaywalking?
Some maintain that people would wait on the sidewalk for the streetcar to appear and then walk over to the''safety zone''. But many photos tell otherwise. Evidently people would wait until a green light and then use the marked crosswalk to enter the ''safety zone''. Photos reveal people waiting for the streetcar with no train in sight. I still maintain those old safety zones were a disaster.

These middle of the street safety zones still exist in places like Long Beach but they're 4 feet high.

CDfile

Here are people alighting from the streetcar and OMG a few are jaywalking. More evidence of LA crimewave of scofflaws.

CDfile

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jun 2, 2015 at 11:30 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 12:21 AM

Disaster or not, what was the alternative? As I said before, the tracks were by and large in place in the streets before cars; as soon as someone could afford a car, they ditched public transport for all the usual reasons (poor service, freedom, privacy, independence, status), reducing revenue. There is simply no way, even if it had occurred to the owners of the PE and LARy, to relocate all the tracks to run along the curb, which is the only alternative I can think of--impractical and cost-prohibitive. Anyone who looked at the exponential growth of car registrations through the '20s could see that streetcars, as they were laid out originally, were doomed.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Some maintain that people would wait on the sidewalk for the streetcar to appear and then walk over to the''safety zone''. But many photos tell otherwise. Evidently people would wait until a green light and then use the marked crosswalk to enter the ''safety zone''. Photos reveal people waiting for the streetcar with no train in sight. I still maintain those old safety zones were a disaster.

These middle of the street safety zones still exist in places like Long Beach but they're 4 feet high.

CDfile

Here are people alighting from the streetcar and OMG a few are jaywalking. More evidence of LA crimewave of scofflaws.

CDfile
CBD, the question regarding the criminalization of Jaywalking in Los Angeles contained in your Godzilla quote sent me on a history quest and I found this.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/15/7551873/jaywalking-history

It seems LA was not alone.

Cheers,
Jack

Last edited by Wig-Wag; Jun 3, 2015 at 3:17 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post

CDfile

CDfile
CBD, the question regarding the criminalization of Jaywalking in Los Angeles contained in your Godzilla quote sent me on a history quest and I found this.

Cheers,
Jack

Last edited by Wig-Wag; Jun 3, 2015 at 3:17 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 12:24 AM

My apologies for the re-post. I hit the wrong button.

Jack

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig-Wag View Post
CBD, the question regarding the criminalization of Jaywalking in Los Angeles contained in your Godilla quote sent me on a history quest and I found this.

It seem La was not alone.

Cheers,
Jack
Interesting article. If one reads between the lines, there is a strong suggestion that the So Cal Auto Club was probably very effective in laying the groundwork for LA's anti-jaywalking ethos. Similar efforts were evidently not as effective in most other major metro areas.

1926 - Jaywalker on Washington looking east from Normandie.
http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics37/00068466.jpg
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1828

Last edited by Godzilla; Jun 3, 2015 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
I'm with you.....the LA detective in me goes into overdrive when seeing those snapshots of "Boone City."

All images copyright RKO/MGM.

Have not seen any listing for Charley's Diner. It's surprising considering Charley's sign advertises it was in the same location for 20 years.

Was there a not-so-secret speakeasy on Cahuenga? Perhaps someone can shed some light on Cahuenga's "Cave?" Somewhere near 3000-4000 North Cahuenga. It looks like a theme restaurant/bar, but if the attributed date is correct (1931) what gives with the Eastside on Tap advertising? Near beer? Prohibition ended in early 1933. (There was a Cave Club in Hollywood, but from the 1959-pictures available from LAPL, they seem to be something far more modern.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...d/27110/rec/80

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 2:59 AM

The Bunker Hill residence that was called "The Salt Box" is not a saltbox house at all. This is what saltbox-style construction actually looks like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltbox

I don't know why 339 South Bunker Hill Ave. was given that name, but it was clearly a misnomer.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Another wonderful 1943 snapshot.
The Los Angeles Public Library with the little known Hotel Del Mar on the right. pan right--->

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-1943-Ho...item5aeedc87fd

A bit further down the street (right hand side) is a sign that says 'Church of the Open Door'.

Can someone refresh my memory and tell me what street this is. Isn't this the front of the library? (I need to pull out my vintage map)
__

I'm sure you meant to type Hotel Val Demar.

I see the Del Mar on Third and Beaudry. 1026 W, Third St.

1931 DelMar Garage and Hotel

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...d/3625/rec/126

And there's a glimpse of Tanner Livery to the right.

Brick collectors take note.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...d/3625/rec/126

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 4:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig-Wag View Post

Cheers,
Jack
On a related note, the Jaywalker is now a legally protected class of citizen in California. Its the LAW that if you see a person walking across the street anywhere [marked crosswalk or not], that person has the Right Of Way and you MUST stop your car for them.

So we've gone from those ignorant lawless Jaywalkers, to those same citizens being very special and privileged people. So get ready to slam on your brakes folks.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 4:38 AM

Charlies Diner

[QUOTE=Godzilla;7048744]Have not seen any listing for Charley's Diner. It's surprising considering Charley's sign advertises it was in the same location for 20 years.

Godzilla, it is a bit of a tough call as this Was a "Kit" diner of which several examples were once part of the LA landscape, including one on San Fernando Road in the Roscoe area and at least two under the "Phill's" diner banner. One in North Hollywood that lived across from the present NH metro station until it was moved and restored next to the Television Academy of Arts and Sciencse on Lankershim Boulevard, and one on Adams Blvd. I posted a photo of the latter on NLA a while back but could not locate it through the search engine so I am re-posting it along with a shot of the NoHo (that term still gives me fits ) diner which, despite a beautiful restoration and good food went out of business. BTW, prior to its relocation, the diner, which had been closed for some time was periodically used for motion picture work, which brings us to two possibilities. One, Charliey's was a real diner, that later became a Phil's, or it is the Phil's North Hollywood diner with extensive set dressing in a much earlier motion picture iteration. See this photo in its original NH location. http://lariverrailroads.com/jacks_2.html

NEW INFORMATION JUST RECEIVED TODAY JUNE 3rd FROM A FRIEND LIVING A FEW BLOCKS FROM PHIL"S:
New tenant will open up tomorrow (Thr) ~ 11am. BBQ.
Supposedly they didn't mess with anything inside. They were doing a shoot inside when I walked by 1 hr ago, widows blocked.

Cheers,
Jack

Last edited by Wig-Wag; Jun 3, 2015 at 7:49 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 6:51 AM

Thanks, HossC

[QUOTE=HossC;7048391]Interesting pictures, GatoVerde, but please don't hotlink to eBay images - they tend to only last a few months at best. I've played with the contrast on the images below. Hopefully it makes them easier to see.

Thanks for cleaning up the images, and for your sound advice -- makes sense. I still wish there was a way to upload an actual image rather than just reference it via url.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 9:28 AM

I've generally found that forums which allow you to upload pictures as attachments only display them as thumbnails, and they only let signed-in users see the full-size images. NLA lets you post images of any size (I think we've seen images over 5000 pixels wide), and they're visible to everyone. There are many third-party image hosting sites that let you upload images and then post them here. If you're not posting hundreds of images, it will probably be free. Using an image hosting service means you're not at the mercy of the original image host, and it gives you the chance to crop, scale, tweak and adjust images before you post them. You'll also be able to post screengrabs from Streetview, Google Books, LAPL's City Directories etc.

I use Photobucket, but ImageShack and Flickr are also popular with NLA members. Maybe other members want to add more sites to this list.

---------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

I see the Del Mar on Third and Beaudry. 1026 W, Third St.
There are more pictures of the Hotel Del Mar in my previous post here.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Why am I investigating this area? *Shameless Plug Alert!* If you're so inclined, there's an event this Friday at the LAPHS where the authors will talk about the LAPD '53 book, researcher Joan Renner will show a rare crime scene walkthrough film and discuss the case, and I will screen a never-viewed-by-the-public ten-minute color film from 1955 wherein WH Parker narrates at trip through the brand-new Police Facilities Bldg (AKA Parker Center). For more information click here.
Would you consider posting a video of the event to YouTube for the benefit of those of us living in the greater Los Angeles area? In my case Houston, Texas?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 6:38 PM

Hope you're not experiencing too many problems with all the rainfall you've been getting, M-R.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 7:34 PM

WigWag, I had heard the diner was somewhere near the Goldwyn Lot, but that's not saying much. Considering they did little to cover or camouflage other pickup shots, I suspect there really was a diner named Charley's.

HossC, the omission of a link to your prior posts was unintentional. I was spending too much time looking for a Cave on Cahuenga.

I don't think there have been many photos posted of Fairfax between Beverly and Sixth. It looks like the structure with the tower facade was built before 1931. (The exterior motif seems vaguely similar to the nearby Ralphs at Wilshire and Hauser.) It currently houses Molly Mallone's at 575 S Fairfax. (Molly's started in '69. Does anyone have any history on the structure before that?) 1931 was also the approximate construction date of the 5-story structure that is now occupied by Samy's Camera. For those keeping score, Johnson's Fine Foods was at 525 S Fairfax.

From: http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/34672/rec/1

1931 - Drexel Ave meets S Fairfax Ave. Can't help but think about the planes that used to fly and land nearby.

If only some of this land were still in it's primordial state.

Opposite view. Looking west on Drexel from Fairfax. Most of those homes are still there, albeit with increased vegetation and a few sidewalk cracks. Character?

1931 - Fairfax looking south from ~ Drexel.

Curious about the witch hats at the roof corners. Could they be oil funnels? Or megaphones ?

I have it on NO authority that Liz Short preferred Mayflower Chips. But she could have liked Scudder's peanut butter. Unsalted. Wonder about the product shelf life in the '30s, and what, if any, preservatives were used.

Quote:
1926, Laura Clough Scudder started Laura Scudder's in Monterey Park, California making potato chips. Naming the company after herself reflected her personal dedication and pride in offering the highest quality and best tasting food products available in the market. Throughout her lifetime, Mrs. Scudder’s was credited for many innovations in the food industry. Most notably was the introduction of wax paper bags as a packaging solution for potato chips. Historically, potato chips, prior to wax paper bags, were packaged in barrels or tins. The wax paper bags allowed potato chips to be stored in a more stable and secure environment keeping them fresher longer while also reducing crumbling. This wonderful invention allowed potato chips to be mass marketed, making them a new convenience food. Laura Scudder's was also credited as the first company to imprint a freshness date on their food products, once again setting the standard, which is now mandatory for today's food products. Mrs. Scudder’s superior products and innovative solutions made Laura Scudder’s brand a household name on the west coast.http://laurascudders.com/about/history
Quote:
Scudder also began putting dates on the bags, becoming the first company to freshness date their food products. This new standard of freshness was reflected in the marketing slogan: "Laura Scudder's Potato Chips, the Noisiest Chips in the World."https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Scudder

The light colored structures in the background would seem to have been eventually replaced by Park La Brea. Could they have been temporary? Not to be confused with the elementary school. Hancock Elementary was at 4th and Fairfax, presumably in the other direction.

Johnson's Fine Foods

Fairfax looking north. The building now occupied by Samy's, but in 1931.

The Fairfax theater in the distance. Any idea what's on the bill tonight?

Molly Mallone's
http://www.iamnotastalker.com/wp-con...s-13-of-13.jpg

1928 - Former Morgan, Walls & Clements designed Ralphs on Wilshire
http://waterandpower.org/Historical_...and_Hauser.jpg

Samy's
http://pics3.city-data.com/businesse.../3/6049723.JPG

More Fairfax Ave. here >>> http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=25100

Last edited by Godzilla; Jun 3, 2015 at 11:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

Hope you're not experiencing too many problems with all the rainfall you've been getting, M-R.
Thanks very much Martin. Ike in '08 brought the water to within an inch of our threshold. Unfortunately this last storm breached it and we lost our hardwood floors. But with no more than an inch of water throughout the house we consider ourselves lucky indeed. We have friends who've basically lost everything. Our floors will be replaced. An inconvenience. Send a little something along to the Red Cross if you've a mind.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Disaster or not, what was the alternative? As I said before, the tracks were by and large in place in the streets before cars; as soon as someone could afford a car, they ditched public transport for all the usual reasons (poor service, freedom, privacy, independence, status), reducing revenue. There is simply no way, even if it had occurred to the owners of the PE and LARy, to relocate all the tracks to run along the curb, which is the only alternative I can think of--impractical and cost-prohibitive. Anyone who looked at the exponential growth of car registrations through the '20s could see that streetcars, as they were laid out originally, were doomed.
As a child, I waited in the safety zone many a time along mostly Pico Blvd. I even remember riding the old wooden street cars. As I recall, it was a bit ominous standing out there; not exactly feeling "safe.".

Andys

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 10:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys View Post
As a child, I waited in the safety zone many a time along mostly Pico Blvd. I even remember riding the old wooden street cars. As I recall, it was a bit ominous standing out there; not exactly feeling "safe.".

Andys
Imagine being a child, as I was, in the so-called Safety Zone on a rainy night. It was horrific, especially for children and a mother with groceries. Add to that, people jostling for position on a crowded streetcar.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jun 3, 2015 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 11:17 PM

I know we've seen this end of the Broadway Tunnel before (gsjansen did a nice "then and now" in post #2610), but I think this picture is new to NLA.

eBay

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos