HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 5:20 AM

I don't understand how the Regent restaurants do so well.
Over the last year, Papa Murphy's, Five Guys, Famous Daves, Wild Wing, State and Main all opened up. And I'm probably missing a couple.

Kelsey's is also still there. Kelsey's is just a whateve restaurant, it's okay, but nothing exciting. I could see them coming back as Milestones, would make sense for them.

Went to State and Main on the weekend, it was okay. Appetizer list was a bit different. We ended up getting a chicken finger platter or an appetizer and it was really good. Came with 4-5 very big pieces, and fries for $11, yet my steak sandwich for dinner was like $17, with barely any fries. The steak sandwich was tiny, and was 'okay'. No sauce on it, which made it kinda dry. Moxie's has a nice garlic aoili or something like that, that really makes it taste good. Speaking of which, over the last six months Moxies cut their steak sandwich size in half.

The design is decent in there, couple things are a little tacky, but whatever. Whenever I drive by later at night it looks always very busy, which is great to see.

Haven't been to Wild Wing yet, couple times I've driven by in the last week and was lined up out the door.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 11:24 AM

Regent does well because (1) there's a huge population in East and North East of winnipeg (2) this is Transacona - would you want to eat home cooking from a Tcona Mama?

you are comparing the price of chicken fingers over steak sandwhich? what is normally more a 12oz draft or a Cosmopolitan? think about it!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie88 View Post
Haven't been to Wild Wing yet, couple times I've driven by in the last week and was lined up out the door.
If you see a line of 4 or 5 people out the door, then the line is only 4 or 5 people long since the line to get into that place pretty much starts at the door.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 2:17 PM

Was at State and Main last Tuesday, really liked it. I enjoyed the steak sandwich.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 2:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
would you want to eat home cooking from a Tcona Mama?
Sorry, is this supposed to be a joke? Transcona is part of where I grew up, so yes, I would gladly eat home cooking from my mother AND grandmother.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 2:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Was at State and Main last Tuesday, really liked it. I enjoyed the steak sandwich.
It's a great restaurant. Our company goes for lunch and client suppers there often.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 4:37 PM

Pizzeria owner to open eatery in new downtown hotel

By: Geoff Kirbyson

A local restaurateur has landed what is surely one of the most sought-after locations in town.

Bobby Mottola, owner and face of Pizzeria Gusto in River Heights, has confirmed he and a group of investors have landed the lease for a 4,000-square-foot space in the lobby of the Alt Hotel being built across the street from the MTS Centre.

The opening of both the hotel and restaurant is still about 11/2 years away, but Mottola's plans are nearing completion. The name is still up for debate but the street food-oriented concept isn't.

"We're going to take the best of the street food from the hot zones, like the taco carts in Mexico and sandwiches from Cuba, all the things you can get walking down the street (in tropical countries)," he said.

Rest of article here: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...200996011.html

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Pizzeria owner to open eatery in new downtown hotel

By: Geoff Kirbyson

A local restaurateur has landed what is surely one of the most sought-after locations in town.

Bobby Mottola, owner and face of Pizzeria Gusto in River Heights, has confirmed he and a group of investors have landed the lease for a 4,000-square-foot space in the lobby of the Alt Hotel being built across the street from the MTS Centre.

The opening of both the hotel and restaurant is still about 11/2 years away, but Mottola's plans are nearing completion. The name is still up for debate but the street food-oriented concept isn't.

"We're going to take the best of the street food from the hot zones, like the taco carts in Mexico and sandwiches from Cuba, all the things you can get walking down the street (in tropical countries)," he said.

Rest of article here: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bus...200996011.html
There was an article a week or two ago with him talking about opening something downtwon. I think they described it as Mexican Asian fusion.

Here it is.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 5:07 PM

Quote:
you are comparing the price of chicken fingers over steak sandwhich? what is normally more a 12oz draft or a Cosmopolitan? think about it!
No, I worded that incorrectly, I was more so talking about the fries. The chicken fingers got about 3-4x as much.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 7:14 PM

Curiosity question: does anyone know what is taking so long with the renovation of the Applebees on Pembina Hwy near the University? Not that I ever go there for lunch, but the orange tarps have been up for months it seems.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2013, 11:17 PM

That's the one that has the fire in October. I wonder if the insurance company is being slow to pay for some reason?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Sorry, is this supposed to be a joke? Transcona is part of where I grew up, so yes, I would gladly eat home cooking from my mother AND grandmother.
yes it was ha ha. i wish i still had my ukrainian grandmother around to cook!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 7:40 PM

Kelsey's on Regent lost almost it's entire staff to Famous Dave's.

Wild Wing is very expensive for average quality. The wings are good, but not good enough to go there regularly when I can get just as good from other places for $3 less per pound. The 101 flavours is a novelty, most of them look inedible. Very cramped space too for a restaurant like that, not sure if all of their locations are like that or if that's the best spot they could get on Regent.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 2:02 AM

Just spotted another taco del mar location opening soon. Its in the 1100ish block of portage avenue right along side a subway location. Between them and modern taco city I've suddenly got two Mexican options within walking distance. Portage Ave five guts opens April 10th.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Just spotted another taco del mar location opening soon. Its in the 1100ish block of portage avenue right along side a subway location. Between them and modern taco city I've suddenly got two Mexican options within walking distance. Portage Ave five guts opens April 10th.
Taco Del Mar & Subway are also opening up on St. Mary's rd in norwood area (old blockbuster).

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Taco Del Mar & Subway are also opening up on St. Mary's rd in norwood area (old blockbuster).
Wow, the employee at the Kenaston location who told me their owner was going to aggressively open several other locations wasn't kidding. It'll be convenient, albeit a bit dangerous to have one so close to me.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Is that the one right at Dakota/St Mary's? I can't picture any other Blockbuster's on St Mary's. Seems funny to have a Subway there when there's already one on the southern side of the intersection (in the strip mall with the police station)

I wonder if that one's closing?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzy82 View Post
Is that the one right at Dakota/St Mary's? I can't picture any other Blockbuster's on St Mary's. Seems funny to have a Subway there when there's already one on the southern side of the intersection (in the strip mall with the police station)

Pretty sure the Subway/Taco del Mar on St Mary's is much further north, more like Norwood area than Dakota but that is from second hand information.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzy82 View Post

He's referring to the old blockbuster at St Mary's and Traverse/Coniston, closer to downtown. There's a Snap Fitness there right now.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruler462 View Post
He's referring to the old blockbuster at St Mary's and Traverse/Coniston, closer to downtown. There's a Snap Fitness there right now.
correct, sharing building with Snap Fitness. 249 st.mary's

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=snap+fitness+near+St+Mary's+Rd,+Winnipeg,+MB&hl=en&ll=49.874389,-97.116839&spn=0.000003,0.002631&sll=49.853822,-97.152225&sspn=0.443589,1.347198&oq=snap+fitness,+st&hq=snap+fitness&hnear=St+Mary's+Rd,+Winnipeg,+Manitoba&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=49.874389,-97.116839&panoid=g0x_xZl6DXn8JH0nkUAslA&cbp=12,70.44,,0,6.33

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan