HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:17 PM
The City

Did anybody see this news about the retail building replacing the parking lot at State and Erie? Always nice to see another parking lot bite the dust.

We need to see more developments like this kill of parking lots not only in River North, but in the South Loop as well.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 8:25 PM

^That's cool, though RiNo is going to hit peak density of raw vegan protein soy veggie restaurants any minute now.

Reminds me of this post today from Streetsblog. http://usa.streetsblog.org/2014/09/0...ont-retrofits/

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 9:30 PM
The City

^ RiNo?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ RiNo?
RIver NOrth (?)

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 12:27 AM

Yeah. I'm trying to make that happen. It's a pretty streets ahead abbreviation.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Yeah. I'm trying to make that happen. It's a pretty streets ahead abbreviation.
Streets Ahead? The long since shuttered RiNo night club might not agree…

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 2:25 AM

While we're at it let's call South Loop, Sloop.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 6:55 AM

Come on, guys: no more abrrevs.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 7:58 AM

Quote:
^ I'm going to have to side with the East Lakeview Neighbors on this.

That project is too dense and doesn't have enough parking. The neighborhood is already congested, and there is no place to park. There is no damn parking. No parking is wrong, and it really makes my blood boil.

Not only that, but the lack of parking really makes me mad. This building needs about two times the amount of parking and about 1/4 the amount of proposed units. Actually, it should be turned into a park, but a park that has PARKING.

I think we also need to discuss children. Children are dying in the city. Do you want more children to die? If that building is built as planned, there will be too much congestion and children will die. Every day. And it will be the developer's fault. Shame on the city for allowing the death of children.
Jesus, you had me going for a second

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Yeah, I read that too. Compare those people's sentiments, and then the abomination that just got approved for Wellington/Broadway with 250+(!) parking spaces. Which one is going to cause traffic again?? Granted, Wellington/Broadway was within Southeast Lakeview Neighbors' "purview", and the meeting for the Sedgwick proposal was held by East Lakeview Neighbors, but the comparison is just too maddening to not remark upon.
THANK YOU for you recognizing that impending stain on Chicago's urban fabric. I felt like I was shouting into the wind during my earlier vent session.

Quote:
Nothing gets me more, though, than the campaign (replete with flyer-distributed propaganda containing laughably huge lies) against the California/Milwaukee development in Logan Square.
That Logan Square development just makes me want to follow The Postal Service's advice circa 2003 and give up. The one bit of good news that's come out of that clusterfuck is DNAinfo's calling out of the generational divide—by which I mean, that there is one and that they reported it. I'm also heartened by the developers' attitudes in both cases: these guys—actual market actors—have both independently and near-simultaneously confirmed what we know to be true about density, transit, and the demand for desirable neighborhoods, i.e., car ownership isn't a goal for a lot of people and is, for others, an acceptable sacrifice for access to the best places to live. (Shocking!) After years of market conditions that worked against good urban design principles, it makes me livid that the city steps in when we have every indication that those two interests have finally aligned.

But what probably makes me even more livid is what I see as the flagrant violation of constitutional rights. Here you've got all of these "concerned citizens" dictating to public officials exactly which kinds of people can and cannot be their neighbors. Lakeview and, increasingly, Logan Square are expensive places. Tons of people want to live there but can't because of a lack of affordable housing options. It's a classic supply and demand problem, and one of the clearest and easiest solutions (without resorting to manipulating the market) is small studios/"micro apartments." And so all of those people—the working class (including those who provide services for many of the locals themselves), the elderly, the young, students, and the poor and, let's be frank for a minute, the ethnic minorities disproportionately represented among the poor—are essentially denied access. All by people who I'd hazard to guess mostly claim to be liberal/social progressives. (Not like self-described conservatives would come out looking any better, though; few things are less conservative than holding up private enterprise.) Rank hypocrisy, galling social injustice, and an affront to American ideals about property.

Quote:
Sure, but that's irrelevant to the sentiments of the neighborhood residents that I have concerns about. Regardless of the developer's shady connections and political wrangling, people are still going to say ridiculous shit like, "5 stories is too tall."
Exactly. I don't understand why you guys are trying to shift the focus away from this fact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
Easy. Fabulousness.
New best friend.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 2:27 PM

Yes. That. ^

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 2:54 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
But what probably makes me even more livid is what I see as the flagrant violation of constitutional rights.
Remind me. Which provision of the Constitution guarantees affordable new housing units in every subneighborhood?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 4:04 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
But what probably makes me even more livid is what I see as the flagrant violation of constitutional rights. Here you've got all of these "concerned citizens" dictating to public officials exactly which kinds of people can and cannot be their neighbors. Lakeview and, increasingly, Logan Square are expensive places. Tons of people want to live there but can't because of a lack of affordable housing options. It's a classic supply and demand problem, and one of the clearest and easiest solutions (without resorting to manipulating the market) is small studios/"micro apartments." And so all of those people—the working class (including those who provide services for many of the locals themselves), the elderly, the young, students, and the poor and, let's be frank for a minute, the ethnic minorities disproportionately represented among the poor—are essentially denied access. All by people who I'd hazard to guess mostly claim to be liberal/social progressives. (Not like self-described conservatives would come out looking any better, though; few things are less conservative than holding up private enterprise.) Rank hypocrisy, galling social injustice, and an affront to American ideals about property.
^ Ever watch the film Jurassic Park? Despite efforts to make the new dinosaurs sterile, "nature found a way" and they still ended up reproducing.

In the same fashion, people will find a way to live in these neighborhoods. Get rid of studios? No problem, 4 people will share a 2 bedroom apartment. People have been doing this in New York for years, and at some point when rents in Chicago reach a breaking point, you'll see more of the same here.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
While we're at it let's call South Loop, Sloop.
That's already established thanks to the neighborhood blog Sloopin.com

I don't think west loop will get to take advantage of Wloop though. Thus, I propose WeLoo.

WeLoo multipass.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 6:21 PM
The City

Updates on a few neighborhood developments

Residents pressure developers on Union St. proposal
September 5, 2014
By Patrick Butler

Quote:
Alderman James Balcer (11th Ward) recently told residents living near the former Gethsemane Church and German schoolhouse at 1352 S. Union St. that he supports Property Markets Group (PMG) plans to build a seven-story, 130-unit highend rental highrise on that site because he considered it “too good an opportunity to pass up.”
^ Not sure this church really deserves saving

Illinois Medical District’s Gateway plan to bring jobs, hotel, and housing
September 5, 2014
By Susan S. Stevens

Quote:
Construction is planned to begin in spring 2015 on an estimated $300 million development on the west side of the Illinois Medical District (IMD).

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 7:03 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Did anybody see this news about the retail building replacing the parking lot at State and Erie? Always nice to see another parking lot bite the dust.

We need to see more developments like this kill of parking lots not only in River North, but in the South Loop as well.
I remember the midrise proposed for this site, but interestingly enough on Jenel's website they still have a rendering of a really slim highrise:

Old Posted Sep 6, 2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Remind me. Which provision of the Constitution guarantees affordable new housing units in every subneighborhood?
It requires some Goldbergian mental mechanics to get "affordable housing guarantee" from "passionate invocation of market forces and property rights."

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 3:34 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Illinois Medical District’s Gateway plan to bring jobs, hotel, and housing
September 5, 2014
By Susan S. Stevens

Construction is planned to begin in spring 2015 on an estimated $300 million development on the west side of the Illinois Medical District (IMD).
More impressive is this:

Quote:
Gateway Development Partners plans to construct everything on the site simultaneously because of the number of participants.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 6:31 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Pretty sick. All we need now is the walgreens to be demo'd and a highrise to hold the corner instead of a 1 story, drive-thru, walgreens.
I did see this thing at some point. I'd prefer a highrise with a slick flagship Walgreens too, but I'm guessing that store is due for an upgrade at some point anyway.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 6:51 PM
The City

^ You know, at some point retailers just start to look stupid demanding to have a bunch of parking in their downtown locations.

I can understand a larger grocer needing it, or perhaps a really noteworthy destination retailer, but.....Walgreens? It's all over the place. Same goes with McDonald's. What gives with these companies?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2014, 9:41 PM

Riverwalk

9/2

9/5

Appears that they pumped out the barges to lift the precast over the caissons, then the pneumatic to lower it on

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development