HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 6:17 AM

This is HUGE and exciting news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
New 22 acre park opens up in Little Village --> http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...214-story.html

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Really? It's located on the first post of the highrise thread.

The application for this one was to create a new PD with an FAR of 16.5. The site is currently PD 1003 (which I don't know the details of). The site was originally zoned DX-12. I wonder what Reilly's issue with it is, specifically, should it be true that he is opposing it. I was really hoping to see this one happen; it looks like it would be glazed similarly to EnV--the facade turned out beautifully on that.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 5:22 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
^People don't build parking lots in River North because it is highly lucrative; they do it because it is lucrative enough.
The real problem is that the price of land per buildable foot in downtown Chicago is so low compared to New York, or Boston, or San Francisco, that it is a sound investment strategy to landbank it until the market catches up.

As glad as I am to see the parking go, these lots are zoned DX7 and DX12. A two story store front is so far below their highest and best use, that there can be no doubt that this is just another way to cover the bills until the property values change the equation.

Given the useful life of the building and an income that covers the cap rate this guy bought himself 20 years to wait it out. The parking lot guy took a hard look at selling every year when it was time to sealcoat..

The comparison to other cities' land costs makes little sense (unless you think that for some reason Chicago's land costs should be much closer to those cities, and the land here has somehow been chronically underpriced, relative to the coastal gateways, by the market...... but of course that's quite likely not the case, as there are entirely very valid reasons why Chicago's land prices should be well below those of the much higher supply-constrained coastal markets..........you see this kind of absolutely crazy rationale by investors -who clearly don't comprehend the dynamics - sometimes when they prioritize investing in a city because you can buy a building at xyz per sq ft in city a, which is such a bargain compared to the 3xyz per sq ft you'd have to pay in cities b, c and d. This strategy - based soley on this rationale - is truly one for an idiot's idiot - and I've found there's never an acute shortage of these guys out there).

And sure, in some cases, investors may make out quite alright with cyclical landbanking plays - but they may also make out quite alright developing their otherwise income-producing surface lots into high-rises (which many have and will continue) this cycle.......

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Dec 15, 2014 at 8:00 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 5:28 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
The application for this one was to create a new PD with an FAR of 16.5. The site is currently PD 1003 (which I don't know the details of). The site was originally zoned DX-12. I wonder what Reilly's issue with it is, specifically, should it be true that he is opposing it. I was really hoping to see this one happen; it looks like it would be glazed similarly to EnV--the facade turned out beautifully on that.

Who's the developer, I wonder? That in and of itself could potentially be a clue. It may not be a 'politically savvy' operator. If someone like a Bill Smith had proposed this, identical building, identical location, wouldn't it most likely be under construction already by now?? Inquiries that inquiring minds inquire about.......

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Dec 15, 2014 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 5:34 PM

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Who's the developer, I wonder? That in and of itself could potentially be a clue. It may not be a politically savvy operator. If someone like a Bill Smith had proposed this, identical building, identical location, would it most likely be under construction already by now?? Inquiries that inquiring minds inquire about.......
Company listed on the application is "CA Residential State/Huron, LLC". Last activity of the application from the clerk's office's records was last December.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 6:15 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
What a great solution/improvement.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 7:22 PM

such a shame. we're losing our architectural heritage piece by piece. this is a perfectly good/attractive building

Quote:
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20141...t-lincoln-park

Eight-Story Hotel Slated To Replace Inn at Lincoln Park

http://assets.dnainfo.com/generated/...png/larger.jpg

Representatives from LVM Corporation will present their plans for the project at the 6 p.m. meeting Tuesday at the Elks National Memorial Headquarters, 2750 N. Lakeview Avenue.

The proposal for the property, 601 W. Diversey, would require the land to be rezoned.

The hotel was built in 1918 and has 71 rooms.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 7:29 PM
Urbane observer

On that 200 South Wacker mural, the "roads" shown along the west bank of the river are private Union Station driveways. Perhaps they should have hired a Chicago mapmaker.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Company listed on the application is "CA Residential State/Huron, LLC". Last activity of the application from the clerk's office's records was last December.
CA stands for CAMPUS ACQUISITIONS. the same people doing Old Colony

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 11:23 PM
Show me the blueprints

Inn @ Lincoln Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
such a shame. we're losing our architectural heritage piece by piece. this is a perfectly good/attractive building
Here's the rendering for what they're planning. Design may have changed though. This is from Koo Associates:

Crains

It's like a mini Apparel Mart!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 11:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
I'm usually the first to defend historic buildings and go crazy when they get destroyed, but I don't see what we're losing here. Just because it's 100 years old, doesn't mean it's worth saving or preserving. The hotel that will replace this should be really nice, and honestly, the current building is dank and shitty. Worthless IMO.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
I'm usually the first to defend historic buildings and go crazy when they get destroyed, but I don't see what we're losing here. Just because it's 100 years old, doesn't mean it's worth saving or preserving. The hotel that will replace this should be really nice, and honestly, the current building is dank and shitty. Worthless IMO.
It's far from worthless; an exterior chemical wash will help bring facade details to life. I've not been on the inside, so I don't know if there's anything of value, but I wouldn't mind this being a candidate for a facadectomy.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 12:49 AM
Chicago 21st Century

They should make little buildings sticking out! Talk about outside the box! That would be impressive... and possible. Keep it in mind!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
CA stands for CAMPUS ACQUISITIONS. the same people doing Old Colony
Campus Acquisitions became CA Ventures after they branched out from more than just student housing. Their apartment group is also involved with Arkadia in wloop. Their growth in the last few years is pretty impressive.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 2:07 AM
BANNED

Blair did a review of Maggie Daley park today I'm too tired to provide the link perhaps someone else could

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
Blair did a review of Maggie Daley park today I'm too tired to provide the link perhaps someone else could
http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-82288547/

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 4:56 AM

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-82297392/

Under UIC plan, part of Obama library complex would sit atop expressways
By Dahleen Glanton, Chicago Tribune
8:49 pm, December 15, 2014

Quote:
In its bid for the Obama presidential library, the University of Illinois at Chicago has proposed a visitor center and academic institute complex on its Near West Side campus that would extend over portions of the Jane Byrne Interchange.

Though the plan has not yet been approved by the Illinois Department of Transportation, UIC officials said the site would extend like a deck over the point where the Kennedy, Dan Ryan and Eisenhower expressways come together, formerly known as the Circle Interchange. Officials said capping the expressways would be similar to the way Millennium Park was built over existing Illinois Central Railroad tracks.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Here's the rendering for what they're planning. Design may have changed though. This is from Koo Associates:

Crains

It's like a mini Apparel Mart!
So floors two and three are... parking?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 5:05 AM

I guess it's nice that the idea of highway caps is mainstream enough now for something like that^^ to be proposed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development