HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo View Post
What's going up on Washington and Front? In front of the Washington?

Nice little infill that I wish had some height
I'm pretty sure its the new branch library for Mission Hills/Hillcrest.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7498...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by embora; Apr 26, 2018 at 12:19 AM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by embora View Post
I'm pretty sure its the new branch library for Mission Hills/Hillcrest.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7498...7i13312!8i6656
Yes, that's the new library location. It's actually going up fairly fast now that it's above ground.
Have to admit I'm not a big fan of the psudo- Craftsman styling though. It just doesn't give with the rest of the block...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 7:32 PM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
I heard through the community newsletter that the empty lot at 7th & A in Cortez was put back up for sale.
They had planned a 20+ storey tower for that site, but buyers backed out when the much taller 6th & A threatened to block the view to the west.
Nooooooooooo.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 7:52 PM
Frequent Lurker

The Union Tribune has an article on the new Community Plan Update for the Midway area. I think the EIR is out for public review at the moment. The new plan proposes housing, smaller blocks, and pedestrian/park improvements.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...426-story.html

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 8:09 PM
Babylon falling

6th and A??

What are you talking about Steadfast? The two towers proposed for Cortez hill were both on 7th IIRC (7th/A and 7th/Ash) I checked on one of those development map things.

I don't recall something taller than 20 floors ever being proposed at 6th/A.

SDfan: So you think the new Arena behind Petco is just speculative? I think Joseph Tsai has big plans for San Diego he sees an opportunity to truly transform a cities profile and step us up in to the big leagues. Think of what an Arena and Ali Baba North America Headquarters would do for us. We would be catapulted in to a new tier of exposure.

Let's face it China is the new Empire and to have one of its biggest companies have a large presence here would be HUGE for SD. For those of you who asked why I think an economic crash is coming of course it is a long convo but watch the first 11 mins or so of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTn9HG1kbk&t=830s

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 11:40 PM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post

SDfan: So you think the new Arena behind Petco is just speculative? I think Joseph Tsai has big plans for San Diego he sees an opportunity to truly transform a cities profile and step us up in to the big leagues. Think of what an Arena and Ali Baba North America Headquarters would do for us. We would be catapulted in to a new tier of exposure.[/URL]
Until they put a ring on it... s-p-e-c-u-l-a-t-i-v-e

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 11:41 PM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
The Union Tribune has an article on the new Community Plan Update for the Midway area. I think the EIR is out for public review at the moment. The new plan proposes housing, smaller blocks, and pedestrian/park improvements.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...426-story.html
The BIG takeaway was the potential vote to strip the 30' height limit from the Midway area. I'm so onboard for that!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 11:58 PM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfan View Post
The BIG takeaway was the potential vote to strip the 30' height limit from the Midway area. I'm so onboard for that!
Wow! That would be huge!!

Anyone know the new limit proposed? Probably 40ft LMAO.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 12:05 AM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
What are you talking about Steadfast? The two towers proposed for Cortez hill were both on 7th IIRC (7th/A and 7th/Ash) I checked on one of those development map things.

I don't recall something taller than 20 floors ever being proposed at 6th/A.
Just a reminder, this is 6th and A, which is directly one block west of 7th and A.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 12:07 AM
Registered San Diegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Wow! That would be huge!!

Anyone know the new limit proposed? Probably 40ft LMAO.
Haha. I'm gonna guess they'll push for 65'-75' so they can get some good mid-rise action without scaring the NIMBYs too much. TBH, anything taller than that is financially infeasible because steel frame construction would be necessary, and you would need 150'+ towers to justify that cost, and that ain't gonna happen in Midway.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 1:45 AM
SD/OC

I've always thought the Midway district was a great spot for clusters of towers, but I could definitely see the Bay Park/Mission Hills crowd getting riled up over the development.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Just a reminder, this is 6th and A, which is directly one block west of 7th and A.

Yes, that's the building I was referring to. Can't wait to see it break ground!
Thanks for digging that up SDfan.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 8:17 PM

New office building notice for Little Italy. Promising news to hear more and more commercial office space being built in/around downtown.

http://civicsd.com/wp-content/upload...rn-4.27.18.pdf

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 12:18 AM

I’m a pretty infrequent poster on this site, but view it every few days as I’m passionate about development in our city and serve in a capacity related to the development downtown.

I must say there is much negativity on this forum, mainly by two individuals. It seems that those individuals complain every few days about the lack of taller structures. The height limit isn’t going away as long as the airport remains in its current location. So complaining is fruitless.

Additionally, if there wasn’t a height limit and we had much taller structures we’d then have less density. I moved here over a decade ago from NYC and love taller structures. But I prefer density to a few tall buildings as it creates vibrancy. And I feel if the reverse was occurring these individuals would then be complaining about the lack of density.

I served on the commission to review moving the airport and I was in favor of it. And I’m not in favor of putting billions into an airport that can only handle so many flights due to its one runway. But it is what it is. So stop complaining. Instead, seek the change you wish to see. Otherwise your complaints are fruitless and create an environment that isn’t welcoming to those of us who merely wish to discuss responsible development for the city.

Last edited by staplesla; Apr 29, 2018 at 4:13 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staplesla View Post
But it is what it is. So stop complaining. Instead, seek the change you wish to see. Otherwise your complaints are fruitless and create an environment that isn’t welcoming to those of us who merely wish to discuss responsible development for the city.
I too feel like NYC's best, most vibrant neighborhoods are its more human-scaled ones (San Diego's too, for that matter), but you can't be surprised when on a skyscraper forum, skyscraper enthusiasts complain about skyscraper-limiting circumstances. It's awesome you were a part of the airport relocation commission. Perhaps you could share your experiences in an attempt to show the angsty skyscraper enthusiasts how to turn their complaints into action.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 4:02 AM

I agree with staplesla. Often, you have posters here complaining about how SD won't build skyscrapers when there are a million variables to consider, such as economics, demand, location, etc. Not that these posters are completely ignorant of these factors, but it does get old. Developers are out to make money, plain and simple, and the rantings of a few forum members won't make them build faster.

That said, I appreciate staplesla's perspective because he was/is part of a legitimate body that has a sincere effect on what gets done. I suspect many posters here are either union shills or investors looking to get ahead of the market, but either way, things take time and they take thought. In sum, I wholeheartedly support a more rationed discussion of events rather than, "get it done, now, etc...". P.s. I would love to "get it done" but reality is what it is.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 5:19 PM
Registered San Diegan

Anyone see any new projects?

Last edited by SDfan; Apr 30, 2018 at 7:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 7:35 PM
Registered San Diegan

Updates from Hughes Marino

- Horton will either get a full redo, or a minimal update (Bosa and Cisterra are in the running)
- Ritz/7th & Market should break ground by end of year
- New office building render in LI

http://hughesmarino.com/san-diego/bl...fice-building/

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Horton will either get a full redo, or a minimal update (Bosa and Cisterra are in the running)
I so hope the redo goes the way of some of the rumors we've heard over the years, making Horton Plaza a more multi-purpose development with the retail at ground level, residential, hotel, and office above, and a reconnected street grid. It wasn't so long ago that Horton Plaza was a blueprint for how to revitalize a downtown. It's not crazy to think it could once again be a model for downtown vibrance and revitalization.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Updates from Hughes Marino

- Horton will either get a full redo, or a minimal update (Bosa and Cisterra are in the running)
- Ritz/7th & Market should break ground by end of year
- New office building render in LI

http://hughesmarino.com/san-diego/bl...fice-building/
Fantastic news about 7th/Market. Is it safe to say this is a reliable statement and we can actually expect it to break ground this year?

Also, I'm assuming Horton will remain a mall if it's fully redone? I always thought they would bulldoze the thing and turn it into an arena.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations