HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL410 View Post
Can't keep ORD, but have the time to actually mention PEK as a desire? Nice. Like being dumped by your high school GF and telling your friends you desire getting back in the dating game with a super model.

What is YOW's catchment area? Kingtson east to Hawksberry? Would that be 2m people? More?
How many ~2m metros w/ an airport > 5m/yr do NOT have service to ORD nor ATL?

YOW should cut some of the airport bloated salary fat and use those savings to grease AA to MIA, UA back to ORD and DL to ATL.
MIA and ORD have solid O/D. What ATL lacks in O/D, it makes up in connectivity - especially useful having warm climate CNX Nov-March
I don't think the catchment area is anywhere near that big. Or at least not on a regular basis. Actually a lot of demand beelds to YUL, YYZ and US airports so the demand reflects probably less than a million.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
I don't think the catchment area is anywhere near that big. Or at least not on a regular basis. Actually a lot of demand beelds to YUL, YYZ and US airports so the demand reflects probably less than a million.
I think the airport’s own annual report suggests a catch area of 1.6m going as far as Kingston...if I recall correctly. I don’t think we bleed as much as we sometimes think with folks driving to Montreal, Toronto, Syracuse and Ogdensburg to get flights over there - there is some of that and was much more of that 30 yrs ago when we had no international/trans Atlantic flights ... I can remember the countless trips to Mirabel to pick up family and relatives. I think we capture a bunch of that traffic now through domestic connections and our own international flights. What we often forget is that we have the third busiest train station(s) nationally including fallowfield/Tremblay. Unlike Edmonton, Calgary and Halifax we have a viable alternative to get to international hubs. The same for our bus terminals. We are also within a 8 hr drive of 110m people in the north east US .... summary: between two international air hubs < 1 hr flight, efficient train and bus alternatives to get to the hubs, driving distance to major metros in the US... we struggle to get direct flights.

That said, in my opinion the best the thing the airport can do is to bring in a AC competitor overseas to CDG or FRA and quickly find a ORD alternative ...offer subsidies for landing fees, ... create viable competitors. Remember when we had KLM direct/multi-hop 747 to Amsterdam in the early 90s :-)

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 3:43 PM

I can’t see many scenarios where somebody from Kingston would use YOW. It is slightly closer than YYZ or YUL but a slightly longer trip also gets a large increase in options.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I can’t see many scenarios where somebody from Kingston would use YOW. It is slightly closer than YYZ or YUL but a slightly longer trip also gets a large increase in options.
YYZ is the most popular airport for us in Kingston, but if YOW can work for the desired trip, it's preferred. Shorter drive, and more importantly easier drive (traffic across Toronto can be brutal, YYZ is on the other side of Toronto coming from Kingston), and cheaper/easier parking.

I'd say for sun destinations, YOW is probably the most popular airport. But for international travel, YYZ is overwhelmingly preferred. The actual Kingston airport (YGK) is very lightly used, because there's relatively few options (you have to connect AC through YYZ as that's the only flight)--in one study they found that just 15% of air travel demand from the Kingston area uses YGK.

For travel to YYZ, since the UP train opened, taking VIA to your flight has become a lot more popular as well.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
YYZ is the most popular airport for us in Kingston, but if YOW can work for the desired trip, it's preferred. Shorter drive, and more importantly easier drive (traffic across Toronto can be brutal, YYZ is on the other side of Toronto coming from Kingston), and cheaper/easier parking.

I'd say for sun destinations, YOW is probably the most popular airport. But for international travel, YYZ is overwhelmingly preferred. The actual Kingston airport (YGK) is very lightly used, because there's relatively few options (you have to connect AC through YYZ as that's the only flight)--in one study they found that just 15% of air travel demand from the Kingston area uses YGK.

For travel to YYZ, since the UP train opened, taking VIA to your flight has become a lot more popular as well.
I know some people from Kingston who travel extensively for work. You pretty much nailed their flying preferences as well. They use YOW for Canadian destinations usually. US bound and international they use YYZ and YUL using the train to get there. I’ve seen them do sun travel from YUL and YOW.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
It definitely bleeds a lot to YUL, but our catchment is way bigger than a million. The NCR alone is 1.4 million. Keep in mind that some of YOW’s catchment overlaps with others. Take the 50k people around Cornwall for example. YOW & YUL are within 10 minutes of each other from Cornwall. So if you factor in overlapping markets and Upstate NY (I see NY plates at YOW all the time), arguably as far south as SYR for Canadian domestic and Europe, you could say YOW’s catchment is in the 2 million people ballpark...probably more like 1.8 million with a bit of traffic from beyond that population radius. There’s a bit of a fine line between catchment and leakage (which is what the NCR does in the hundreds of thousands annually to YUL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
I know some people from Kingston who travel extensively for work. You pretty much nailed their flying preferences as well. They use YOW for Canadian destinations usually. US bound and international they use YYZ and YUL using the train to get there. I’ve seen them do sun travel from YUL and YOW.
I’d imagine for transborder, some from Kingston would use SYR too at 2 hours away.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 2:21 PM
Melissa: fabulous.

I'd bet that the leakage is almost exclusively on the international front (TATL and sun).

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
I went on Sunwing's website and noticed that they're planning on adding a new destination from YOW, Mazatlan in Mexico.
I tweeted Sunwing and they responded that the first flight to MZT will start December 17, 2019!

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg308 View Post
I tweeted Sunwing and they responded that the first flight to MZT will start December 17, 2019!
I wouldn’t hold my breath. Sunwing is notorious for scheduling direct, nonstop flights and then after selling half the non refundable seats, cancelling the flight and rerouting everyone with the excuse that it wasn’t as popular as expected.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I wouldn’t hold my breath. Sunwing is notorious for scheduling direct, nonstop flights and then after selling half the non refundable seats, cancelling the flight and rerouting everyone with the excuse that it wasn’t as popular as expected.
Really? As a point of reference, Los Cabos was announced last winter and it operated. It's loaded for this coming winter too.

WG haven't yet uploaded departure times for winter, but the days of ops are there.

Last edited by Dominion301; May 22, 2019 at 12:40 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 12:17 PM

PD242 YHZ-YOW on 13MAY19 diverted to YUL due to a faulty sensor: http://avherald.com/h?article=4c83b7b4&opt=0

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 6:38 PM

According to Flighradar24, tonight's AC888 will be on the B789 (C-FVLU) and not the usual B767. Tomorrow's flight showing back on the B767. Wonder how many passenger from YHZ are being routed through YOW?

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaskoYOW View Post
According to Flighradar24, tonight's AC888 will be on the B789 (C-FVLU) and not the usual B767. Tomorrow's flight showing back on the B767. Wonder how many passenger from YHZ are being routed through YOW?
I wonder if this plane was going to do the flight but ended up going tech.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...905Z/CYYC/CYYZ

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 8:56 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanR27 View Post
I wonder if this plane was going to do the flight but ended up going tech.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...905Z/CYYC/CYYZ
That would make sense. Maybe next summer we’ll see a regular 789 on the LHR route or A333! Thanks!

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 11:14 PM

Rouge to YOW

Saw this on the Canada Airports Thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
AC Rouge is expanding sun flying W19:

Conversion to Rouge:
YOW-FLL
YOW-TPA
YOW-MCO
YOW-CUN
YOW-PUJ
YHZ-TPA
YHZ-MCO

New Rouge Routes (all 1x weekly)
YOW-VRA
YQB-PUJ
YQB-CUN

There are also other frequency adjustments, but mainly the increase for FLL from both YUL and YYZ.

Now mainline should be next.... or they should wait until they make sure the MAX is going to be back before the winter season starts...?

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 12:03 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Airport CEO, Nav Canada boss named to 'blue ribbon' drone task force

Megan Gillis, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: May 22, 2019

The heads of the Ottawa airport authority and NAV CANADA have been named to a task force on tackling the “critical” threat unauthorized drones pose to North American airports in the wake major disruptions to air traffic at Gatwick and Newark airports.

Mark Laroche, president and CEO of Ottawa International Airport Authority, and Neil Wilson, president and CEO of NAV CANADA, are new members, the Blue Ribbon Task Force on Unmanned Aircraft System Mitigation at Airports said in a release Tuesday.

The issue has been highlighted by “major” disruptions at London Gatwick Airport in December 2018 and Newark Liberty International Airport in January 2019.

“As drone technology continues to evolve at an increasingly faster pace, airports across North America must continue to adapt to the presence of drones in our airspace just as quickly,” Laroche said. “While we have only seen close calls in Canada with no major incidents to date, we must ensure that we are prepared with an appropriate regulatory framework that addresses this new threat.

“It is also critical that all industry stakeholders understand the role they must play to counter any nefarious use of drones around our airports.”

Task force members will look at how airports, law enforcement and others can come up with an “efficient and seamless” response to unauthorized drone use and develop a long-term strategy on deterring incursions and tackling new technology.

Their work could help stop drone incursions at national landmarks, stadiums, prisons and military bases, said the task force formed in April by the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International and Airports Council International-North America.

“The integration of unmanned aircraft systems into the national airspace has introduced distinct challenges for air traffic management now and going forward,” Wilson said. “While the growth of this new industry can be exciting, it is essential that it occur in a way that does not jeopardize the safety of others, either on the ground or in the air.”

The task force’s findings are expected to be released this summer.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...one-task-force

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 12:50 AM

It appears starting July 1st and only for the summer that Air Canada is shifting AC888 earlier and it's now scheduled to depart at 18:40. Not sure if this was discussed previously. I guess with the Max out of service they are juggling the schedule.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg308 View Post
It appears starting July 1st and only for the summer that Air Canada is shifting AC888 earlier and it's now scheduled to depart at 18:40. Not sure if this was discussed previously. I guess with the Max out of service they are juggling the schedule.
That’s the old LHR departure time from 15 years ago. Gets you into LHR super early. Feels like about 0130 YOW time.

For the Rouge conversions, hopefully they’re not on the 319 or that’ll actually be a small capacity cut unless there are frequency increases.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
AC Rouge is expanding sun flying W19:

Conversion to Rouge:
YOW-FLL
YOW-TPA
YOW-MCO
YOW-CUN
YOW-PUJ
YHZ-TPA
YHZ-MCO

New Rouge Routes (all 1x weekly)
YOW-VRA
YQB-PUJ
YQB-CUN
Wasn't YOW-VRA already a route with AC?

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanR27 View Post
Wasn't YOW-VRA already a route with AC?
It was, along with Providenciales (PLS), CCC and 1 or 2 others. AC used to fly weekly to 6 or 7 destinations. For the past couple of winters, they consolidated everything around POP and CUN still 7 weekly, but with only 2 destinations. Good to see one more back.

Anyhow, I asked the question in the Canada Airports thread and the response was all Rouge 319s. Here's the schedule for YOW:

AC 1616 319 D YOW - FLL
AC 1648 319 x15 YOW - TPA
AC 1838 319 D YOW - MCO

AC 1742 319 1 YOW - VRA
AC 1766 319 246 YOW - PUJ
AC 1770 319 1357 YOW - CUN
AC 1756 319 5 YOW - CUN

So YOW-PUJ, YOW-FLL and YOW-MCO lose 4 seats per flight, but YOW-TPA gains 2 weekly flights and YOW-CUN is +1 and the new weekly YOW-VRA, means YOW-Florida and YOW-South capacity both increase overall. So if you look closely above, there will be 4 daily Rouge departures this winter.

For summer 2020, I wonder if AC will revert back to mainline on YOW-FLL or keep Rouge? If it's Rouge, maybe even bring back MCO?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation