HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 7:45 PM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | Fulton Center | 2014

http://web.mta.info/capital/fulton_alt.html

Quote:
On Sunday, November 9, 2014, the MTA unveiled the Fulton Center, located at the crossroads of Lower Manhattan on Broadway between John and Fulton Streets. This fully digital and accessible transit and retail hub serves as New York City's next great public space and integrates architectural ingenuity that fuses history, art, and sustainable engineering.

Encased in a glass and steel shell, Fulton Center improves the commuter experience by providing seamless transfers for up to 300,000 daily passengers of the A,C,J,Z,2,3,4,5 and R lines and will improve access to PATH trains and the E and 1 lines when additional work by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is completed.

Prior to the Fulton Center project, passengers had to maneuver through a complicated series of ramps, stairs, and passageways to access their trains, with frequent bottlenecks at the busy 4 and 5 Line to A and C Line transfer point. Platform overcrowding and lack of ADA accessibility also made the complex difficult to navigate.

The Fulton Center features open direct paths, widened corridors, and new mezzanines to separate entering, exiting, and transferring customers.

This better distributes passengers, decreases overcrowding, and vastly reduces train loading and unloading delays, improving the overall customer experience.

More renders...
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...ening.php#more

http://www.fultoncenternyc.com/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 7:50 PM
New Yorker for life

November 4, 2014

New York City, you've done well here...

More from Gothamist...

http://gothamist.com/2014/11/09/phot...ng.php#photo-1

And look, an actual, live token booth clerk!

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 7:51 PM
New Yorker for life

Video Link

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/new...ry-650411.html

New York opens 'train station of the 21st century'

November 10, 2014

Quote:
New York’s biggest underground terminus has opened in lower Manhattan – a vital link between the new World Trade Centre and the rest of the city.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority inaugurated the $1.4bn (€1.1bn) Fulton Centre, a space-age complex where nine tube lines converge.

“Welcome to the station of the 21st century,” said engineer Michael Horodniceanu, who led the project as president of the MTA’s Capital Construction.

The hub, which merges century-old stations with the latest digital technology and design, will open to the public this morning, when hundreds of thousands will enter what officials called Lower Manhattan’s “next great public space”.

Its soaring street-level atrium is encased in a glass-and-steel shell, with luminous interior panels leading to a skylight designers call the “oculus” - Latin for eye.

Livening up the climate-controlled, energy-saving spaces are various avant-garde artworks.

....just feet from the revitalised trade centre, the complex is part of a “new hot area”, said Senator Charles Schumer.

“It shows you how New York City can always reinvent itself and get better,” he said, remembering the gloomy maze of the old Fulton Street stop where “you would have to rush through those narrow corridors weaving through passengers; everyone is going in every direction, where you could knock someone over or they’d knock you over”.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 7:53 PM
New Yorker for life

This is a worthy addition to the city, and definitely worth a vist.

Some brief observations:

- The design is very underrated, especially compared to Calatrava's PATH terminal

- Only the building is open, none of the stores, bars will open this year

- It's still a beautiful site to behold

- I was surprised by the number of people there today

- I had expected people to continue with regular routines a little longer

- But New Yorkers were eagerly eating the place up

- Downtown needed this,(I think the whole city did)

- It's perfect for people watching

- Especially if you love the complex nature and pace of urban life

- The upper level was closed off

- It will be featured in movies and television shows (wonder who or what will be first?)

- Also wonder if they will do any holiday decorations

- When things begin to open inside, it will be the perfect place to meet after work

- It will be connected to both the PATH terminal, and Brookfield Place, both destinations of their own

- I think New York has been spoiled with this one, so close to the new PATH concourse

- Everyone should go see it

- I didn't explore the entire center, just took it in a little

And finally, some clips and photos taken opening day (the evening)

Video Link

I'll move these photos to a new thread, as this one is wrapped up, but excuse me while I indulge in people watching at the beautiful, new hub....

No bands playing today, so once more, with music...

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 8:31 PM

Yikes, this place is absolutely loaded! Looking good!

Although I have some concern about the number of posts everywhere. Hopefully that isn't a huge problem. And also the look of the outside facade during the day, we talked about the issue of it looking like a black iron fence.

The billboards all look good. Certainly looks futuristic, 21st Century. $1.4 billion well spent! Someone should take pictures during the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGuy
The earlier photos were taken during the day.
This is true, but there weren't any people in the station at the time, no crowds of people.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 8:39 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'll probably go see it Friday. Can you imagine that I haven't been in the city in over 2 months and I live near it. Something is wrong with me.

Although besides this, theres plenty of new improvements that must be visited. Highline seems to dramatically change every couple of months, plus, the HY is heating up. Lots to see and do. Can't wait for J&R to reopen, love that store.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 8:54 PM
BANNED

It looks nice but can't say I'm thrilled about its opening. It was there sitting there "closed" for a while now and took far too long.

Quote:
Fulton Center

Groundbreaking Date: The project began in 2002

Estimated Completion Date at Groundbreaking: December 2007

Estimated Completion Date Today: TBD, but within weeks of Oct. 7, 2014
http://commercialobserver.com/2014/1...ment-projects/

I almost don't want to follow the transportation hub/WTC because of the same reason, taking longer than anticipated and projects that ballooned +250% of the earlier estimate.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 11, 2014 at 11:12 PM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 9:19 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Coming soon to a cop show or sci-fi movie shootout near you!
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 9:42 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

it is stunning. i like the 'slow-mo' moving video photos that are shown in-between ads.

i hope to see much better shots soon, but for now enjoy a peek around and inside!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 11:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perklol View Post
It looks nice but can't say I'm thrilled about its opening. It was there sitting there "closed" for a while now and took far too long.
Well, it's open now. You've got nothing to bitch about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Coming soon to a cop show or sci-fi movie shootout near you!
That's what I was thinking. With so much filming go on in the city these days, this offers a fresh locale. I'm looking forward to seeing everything open inside. Another slice of New York to take in, perfect for those rainy, snowy days.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 11:18 PM

I went to check it out yesterday and I was very impressed, even better in real life than the pics. It was really awesome because from the hub itself you can actually SEE the various platforms and trains (namely the 4 and 5). It gave a very great feeling of openness and seamlessness and at the same time modern and definitely feels futuristic with the gigantic LCD screens! Wonder when the retail will move in? This whole area is gonna be breathtaking in a year or two when everything's done.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 1:09 AM
World Machine

Great tour NYGuy - thanks! Look forward to seeing the place for myself.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 1:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
I went to check it out yesterday and I was very impressed, even better in real life than the pics. It was really awesome because from the hub itself you can actually SEE the various platforms and trains (namely the 4 and 5). It gave a very great feeling of openness and seamlessness and at the same time modern and definitely feels futuristic with the gigantic LCD screens! Wonder when the retail will move in? This whole area is gonna be breathtaking in a year or two when everything's done.
Its already "done".

Also,
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=322

Quote:
It kinda looks like any other office building with just a weird hat on top. It's not bad, but seems easy to miss.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perklol View Post
Brookfield Place and the Path Hub and WTC3 and 30 Park, etc, etc.. are not done. These things will be absolutely transformative for the area!

Yes, from the outside it is somewhat unassuming (which is fine as there is an absolutely jaw dropping hub a block away) but from the inside, totally different story...very slick!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 2:08 AM

Stunning.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 4:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
but from the inside, totally different story...very slick!
So true.

http://www.mta.info/news-fulton-cent...-fulton-center

Welcome to the New Fulton Center

November 10th, 2014

Quote:
The Fulton Center is now open to the public and it’s already a major hit!

Located at the crossroads of Lower Manhattan on Broadway between John and Fulton Streets, this fully digital transit and retail hub will serve as New York City’s next great public space and integrates architectural ingenuity that fuses history, art, and sustainable engineering.

"The new Fulton Center complex is another example of how we are rebuilding Lower Manhattan which will spur a resurgence throughout the area," Governor Cuomo said. "This new station makes traveling easier for subway riders, and is a beautiful public space for visitors and commuters to enjoy. We now have a new cornerstone in Lower Manhattan, and I am proud to see this unique complex opened to the public."

The $1.4 billion Fulton Center project was funded with $847 million from a special Congressional appropriation granted after September 11, 2001. Known as the Lower Manhattan Recovery Grants, those funds were intended for local transit agencies to repair, replace, and enhance transportation infrastructure in Lower Manhattan. The MTA provided $130 million in local funds. The project also received $423 million from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), the largest single award for the Federal Transit Administration’s ARRA projects.

Encased in a glass and steel shell, the bright and modern facility dramatically improves the commuter experience and will accommodate up to 300,000 daily riders using the and lines. Construction of the Fulton Center includes restoration of the 125-year-old Corbin Building, which will provide additional public access to the facility.

The Fulton Center will house nearly 66,000-square-feet of revenue generating retail and commercial space and the MTA’s largest digital media program, both of which are being managed and operated by Westfield Corp., an international developer and operator of iconic retail properties and a leader in digital sales and sponsorship.

“This building stands as a testament to the strength and resilience New York showed on 9/11 and every day since. And it stands as a testament to what smart investments in infrastructure can do to improve a city, a state, and even a nation,” said MTA Chairman and CEO Thomas F. Prendergast. “It shows what we can do for our customers and our region when we invest in transit, and it shows New York is still thinking big and building big. Great cities like New York need great public spaces, and I’m proud to see this new symbol of our city’s strength open its doors.”

Last edited by Perklol; Nov 12, 2014 at 4:52 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 4:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
And it stands as a testament to what smart investments in infrastructure can do to improve a city, a state, and even a nation,” said MTA Chairman and CEO Thomas F. Prendergast
----

http://commercialobserver.com/2014/1...ment-projects/

Tracking NYC’s Transit Development Projects

BY DANIELLE SCHLANGER 10/09/2014 6:00AM

Quote:
Fulton Center

Groundbreaking Date: The project began in 2002

Estimated Completion Date at Groundbreaking: December 2007

Estimated Completion Date Today: TBD, but within weeks of Oct. 7, 2014

Brief Synopsis of the Project: When the Fulton Center, the new transit hub connecting a tangle of 11 subway lines in Lower Manhattan, is finished, it will be utilized by roughly 300,000 people. The road to completion has been arduous; the project initially started with estimated costs of $750 million and is now using a budget of $1.4 billion.

Critics have noted that the Fulton Center has drained resources while not increasing the subway system’s ability to handle more riders. Last year, then-Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer said the MTA was, “throwing precious dollars at projects like the Fulton Street station,” which “will do nothing to add to capacity when work finally ends.”

“The original budget and completion date simply weren’t realistic,” said Kevin Ortiz, a spokesman for the MTA. “The way that the original procurement was packaged was all done under one contract. We received one bid that was double the amount of the engineers’ estimate. The contract had to be redone and broken down into six different contracts, for which we received multiple competitive bids, all below estimates.”

The MTA says it has adhered to its current budget and schedule since May 2009.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 12:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I went to check it out yesterday and I was very impressed, even better in real life than the pics. It was really awesome because from the hub itself you can actually SEE the various platforms and trains (namely the 4 and 5). It gave a very great feeling of openness and seamlessness and at the same time modern and definitely feels futuristic with the gigantic LCD screens! Wonder when the retail will move in?
They're still in the leasing phase, but sometime next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Great tour NYGuy - thanks! Look forward to seeing the place for myself.
It's worth it. I think of it as Downtown's version of the Guggenheim with a touch of Grand Central - for the modern age. There will come a day soon when you could spend an afternoon or a day visiting the Fulton Center and PATH hall, taking in two future iconic locations in lower Manhattan, and they're neighbors, linked by an underground passageway (further linkage takes you all the way to Brookfield Place and the Hudson).

I've really got to get an extensive look at the place.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles...king-NY.543716

Space-age train hub linking NY
Terminus merges century-old stations with latest technology and design

November 12, 2014

Quote:
New York’s biggest underground terminus has opened in lower Manhattan – a vital link between the new World Trade Centre and the rest of the city.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority inaugurated the $1.4 billion Fulton Centre, a space-age complex where nine tube lines converge.

“Welcome to the station of the 21st century,” said engineer Michael Horodniceanu, who led the project as president of the MTA’s Capital Construction.

The hub, which merges century-old stations with the latest digital technology and design, will open to the public this morning, when hundreds of thousands will enter what officials called Lower Manhattan’s “next great public space”.
Its soaring street-level atrium is encased in a glass-and-steel shell, with luminous interior panels leading to a skylight designers call the ‘oculus’ –Latin for eye.

Livening up the climate-controlled, energy-saving spaces are various avant-garde artworks.

.....The old stations that were refurbished and linked were used by more than 80 per cent of the workers commuting to Lower Manhattan.

A 106-metre tunnel links the Fulton Centre to the World Trade Centre’s Santiago Calatrava-designed transport facility being built and the PATH commuter train to New Jersey. That tunnel will open some time next year.

The Fulton project includes the restoration of an early high-rise – the 125-year-old Corbin Building with a sumptuous, nine-storey tower. Its original stone foundation is exposed over a set of Fulton escalators.

The historic building in the new setting brings the neighbourhood full circle to the 19th century “when this was the centre of New York City”, said engineer Horodniceanu.

Not posting all 13, but...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jonpremosch/...subway-station

13 Amazing Photos Of NYC’s Futuristic New Subway Station

Monday marked the first full rush hour for the station, and hundreds of thousands of subway riders were stunned by the glass tower, which brings light two stories down:

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 12:53 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^^^

Quote:

I'll probably have the same reaction when I see this in person.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 4:35 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

well it sure didn't take long to get great, great photos of it in action -- wow!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture