The City

Spend some time reading this when you have a chance:

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/repor...fiscal-crisis/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 8:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I think people of all walks of life don't want their hard earned money wasted and abused. Not sure why you have to label it as a "right wing" thing?

Once again, your answer continues to be "we should've taxed ourselves more". It shows that you haven't studied Illinois' fiscal history.

Do you actually understand why the State is in this mess with the pensions? It isn't because we didn't tax ourselves enough. It's because our elected officials didn't make regular, required contributions towards the pension systems decades ago. It was fiscal mismanagement of the worst kind.

I'm hoping you understand this...
The fiscal situation is so bad exactly because we didn’t tax ourselves enough to pay for the services citizens wanted. The politicians didn’t make the payments because citizens were fine putting that money to other priorities. It’s the same reason we continue to combine tax cuts with spending increases at the Federal level. No Illinois Policy article is going to change that fact, when Rauner hired out their staff for his administration they accomplished nothing. They provide no actual solutions just bloviating.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 8:25 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj View Post
The fiscal situation is so bad exactly because we didn’t tax ourselves enough to pay for the services citizens wanted. The politicians didn’t make the payments because citizens were fine putting that money to other priorities.
^ When did the politicians ask the public whether or not to make payments into the pensions? I don't recall hearing about that.

First of all, politicians don't need to ask the public for every decision that they make. That's the whole idea about living in a Republic with elected officials.

Secondly, I'm betting that for the above reasons, politicians didn't ask the public this question. After all, we put them in office to make decisions in the State's interests--ideally. *

And they obviously made the wrong one.

At some point, it's okay to blame the politicians for being shitty. I understand that we get the Government that we vote for, but that doesn't mean that the officials we vote for are immune from any criticism, especially when we are talking about machine politics where people like Madigan get to have outsized power for decades.

* Notice I said "State's interest". Because we don't have term limits, too many politicians instead make decisions in their own interest, meaning to keep getting votes and stay in power. And that's bad for all of us.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 12:48 PM
The City

I wonder if LL will do anything about this?

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/ligh...rap-food-truck

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 2:46 PM
Closed account

Quote:
^ When did the politicians ask the public whether or not to make payments into the pensions? I don't recall hearing about that.

First of all, politicians don't need to ask the public for every decision that they make. That's the whole idea about living in a Republic with elected officials.

Secondly, I'm betting that for the above reasons, politicians didn't ask the public this question. After all, we put them in office to make decisions in the State's interests--ideally. *

And they obviously made the wrong one.

At some point, it's okay to blame the politicians for being shitty. I understand that we get the Government that we vote for, but that doesn't mean that the officials we vote for are immune from any criticism, especially when we are talking about machine politics where people like Madigan get to have outsized power for decades.

* Notice I said "State's interest". Because we don't have term limits, too many politicians instead make decisions in their own interest, meaning to keep getting votes and stay in power. And that's bad for all of us.
It’s not like these politicians have been hiding their plans. The Edgar ramp (Republican Governor) was public knowledge, Blago (Dem Governor) skipping pension payments and budget gimmicks were public knowledge. The people of Illinois voted for these can-kicking policies at the state level. Quinn was honest about the financial issues and got ousted by Rauner. Who was Governor for 4 years and never presented a plan to truly balance the budget or solve the pension crisis.

People are getting exactly what they are voting for. We see the same thing at the Federal level. Trump campaigned on cutting taxes and increasing spending. I mean, his entire healthcare plan was “better coverage for everyone for much cheaper.” Voters want to have their cake and eat it too and politicians are more than willing to give them that in the short term.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 11:06 PM

I'm sure you will all be pleased to hear that our boy Fritz dropped the tax bill on literally all my properties except my biggest nicest one which probably deserved a tax increase. That and my vacant lots all saw a $5/YR increase...

Just shows that areas with more low income residents and properties that haven't been challenged are, in fact, getting a bonus at the expense of the big boys.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 5:12 PM

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...hicago-schools

I really hope Lightfoot sticks it to CTU. The union does nothing for the citizens of Chicago. Sharkey may be worse the Karen Lewis. A 12.5% salary increase over 5 years is more than enough, especially when considering a good number of teachers are sub par. It sucks for the many good teachers to be held hostage by the underperformers.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 11:11 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I'm sure you will all be pleased to hear that our boy Fritz dropped the tax bill on literally all my properties except my biggest nicest one which probably deserved a tax increase. That and my vacant lots all saw a $5/YR increase...

Just shows that areas with more low income residents and properties that haven't been challenged are, in fact, getting a bonus at the expense of the big boys.
Kaegi wasn't the Assessor in 2018 when City of Chicago properties were re-assessed, Berrios still was. You won't get to see what Kaegi does to your properties until the next re-assessment in 2021.

The overall levy went up sharply in 2018, so if your tax bills actually went down in real dollar amounts due to a even sharper drop in assessed value, that's impressive...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 11:49 PM

The feds are coming for madigan too!

Quote:

Sources: Feds Search for Michael Madigan Records at Home of Retired Alderman

david kidwell, better government association, dan mihalopoulos, wbez
july 12, 2019

federal agents recently executed a search warrant on the southwest side home of retired chicago ald. Michael zalewski, and sources familiar with the investigation say they were seeking records regarding the alderman’s longtime political ally, illinois house speaker michael madigan.

In a related move, federal investigators subpoenaed documents and other information from utility giant commonwealth edison regarding the company’s state government lobbying activity. Comed officials confirmed they received the subpoena and said the utility is cooperating in the ongoing federal investigation.

Zalewski’s attorney, longtime chicago defense lawyer thomas breen, confirmed to wbez and the better government association that the former alderman’s home was searched by federal agents in may. Around the same time, authorities raided the home of kevin quinn, a madigan operative whose brother is alderman of madigan’s 13th ward power base. The zalewski search has not previously been disclosed.

“despite the government’s interest in getting documents, we are confident there was nothing wrong in any of [zalewski’s] conduct,” breen said, describing the former alderman as “a working stiff for the people.”

part of the probe centers on efforts to get work for zalewski at comed and the interactions between madigan, zalewski and longtime comed lobbyist and madigan confidant michael mcclain, according to three sources familiar with the federal investigation. The three sources declined to be identified because they were not authorized to speak about the investigation.

Asked whether zalewski had been hired in any capacity by comed, a utility spokeswoman declined to answer. But in a statement, comed spokeswoman jean medina said the utility and its parent company, exelon, recently were contacted by federal agents....

Lots more here:

https://www.wbez.org/shows/wbez-news...c-b9147d00e273

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 6:07 PM
The City

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 8:16 PM
The City

Regarding an earlier debate whether the ARO lead to a reduction in new multifamily housing proposals in the neighborhoods where the measure went into effect. The answer is--yes:

Quote:
A review by The Real Deal of applications introduced into the City Council over the past two years shows a steep drop-off in those neighborhoods after the measure went into effect. While the total number of proposed units fell by 27 percent over that time, the number of affordable units cratered, dropping by 47 percent.

From November 2017 through September 2018, developers submitted plans for nine multifamily projects totaling 2,160 units inside the pilot zones. Of those, 225 units — or 10 percent of the total — were set aside as affordable. Only three of those proposals included plans to meet the 20-percent affordability mandate, and the rest were exempted because they were amendments to plans that had been approved before the new rules went into effect.

By comparison, from November 2016 to September 2017, developers filed applications for 15 apartment complexes in those areas totaling 2,948 units. Those include 423 affordable rental units, or 14 percent of the total.

While it’s still early, the drop in planned residential construction aligns with the near-consensus in the real estate industry that the new rules have pushed builders to roll up their blueprints and look elsewhere. The city, meanwhile, says it is still on pace to meet its goal of creating 1,000 affordable units in the zones by 2020.
https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2018...housing-rules/

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Regarding an earlier debate whether the ARO lead to a reduction in new multifamily housing proposals in the neighborhoods where the measure went into effect. The answer is--yes:

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2018...housing-rules/
That's interesting. When the facts change, I change my mind. I definitely favor inducements to construct affordable housing. But it looks like the ARO rules either go too far or aren't the right way to accomplish it.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 11:50 PM

Y'all sure you aren't interested in the FBI coming for Madigan?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/inves...6fm-story.html

Looks like they are investigating some sort of scandal involving him and Comed...

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 11:54 PM
devout Pizzatarian

I think we're all interested, just not enough in the way of actual info has been made public for us to have much discussion yet.

Let's all hope he'll soon be cellmates with blaggo at club fed.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jul 19, 2019 at 1:42 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 3:07 AM

Prekwinkle is a hack. Nothing made me happier than seeing her crushed. This is an issue where Lightfoot is clearly correct.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 3:04 PM

So the mayor recognizes this (UUW) is a big problem... How long does it take to get fixed?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2019, 4:27 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Edit: Oops wrong thread...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 3:56 PM
The City

Illinois Senate President Cullerton indicted on embezzlement

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 5:50 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Illinois Senate President Cullerton indicted on embezzlement
I think state Senator Tom Cullerton was inducted. The Senate President is his cousin, John Cullerton.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 3:08 AM

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...hmy-story.html

39 counts of embezzlement carrying up to 5 years each plus a charge of making false statements to the FBI and a charge of conspiracy to boot. Dudes looking at life hope he flips and turns in his crooked cousin too.

FBI is my fav right now, really cleaning house. With all these investigations going on it's possible we might round up every last one of these corrupt fucks.

You better start running because there is no longer anywhere to hide. Can't wait to see Madigan and John Cullerton in cuffs...

Most importantly big businesses like BK and Cinespace seem to have realized that they don't need to go along with the happy horseshit anymore like they would have been expected to in the past. I know what I would do if solicited by an Alderman for a bribe or if a city inspector tried to shake me down. Straight to the FBI, no hesitation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest