HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 21, 2023, 3:17 PM

2 weeks left to provide input on the Project Connect light rail system. The survey closes Jan 2.

https://publicinput.com/austinlightraildesign2023

I encourage all of you to participate - in particular, the final question asks if you have any comments for the designers about specific stations. If you are intimately familiar with a station area and its quirks/needs, now is the time to let them know.

I would also be thankful if you can inundate them with demands to re-affirm their commitment to include Crestview Station in the initial rollout. This would supercharge transit connectivity and the N Lamar/Justin Ln/Crestview TOD.

Last edited by atxsnail; Dec 21, 2023 at 3:18 PM. Reason: added date

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 7:16 PM

It appears TexDot has upgrade plans for US 290 from Oak Hill to the middle of Dripping Springs. There is a meeting scheduled for January 16. Informational flyer:

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 9:43 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

I read the plan is 3 lanes in each direction, with a wide median in the middle. Essentially what will become the frontage roads in preparation for when the freeway lanes are built at some point in the future.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 2:15 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
I read the plan is 3 lanes in each direction, with a wide median in the middle. Essentially what will become the frontage roads in preparation for when the freeway lanes are built at some point in the future.
It's bound to happen along both 290 and 71, especially after they finish the Y expansion. 71 is already nuts west of the Y really all the way through Bee Cave and on to the Pedernales River. The way Marble Falls is growing, it's likely to continue eventually. 290 is nuts all the way through Dripping Springs.

The question for me re: 290 is whether it will follow the ROW for 290 all the way to 281 (future) or take another route? Thinking regionally, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities for a westward freeway all the way to I-10 at some point *way down the road* if we don't get out of our car-centric regional growth mindset.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 8:30 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
It's bound to happen along both 290 and 71, especially after they finish the Y expansion. 71 is already nuts west of the Y really all the way through Bee Cave and on to the Pedernales River. The way Marble Falls is growing, it's likely to continue eventually. 290 is nuts all the way through Dripping Springs.

The question for me re: 290 is whether it will follow the ROW for 290 all the way to 281 (future) or take another route? Thinking regionally, it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities for a westward freeway all the way to I-10 at some point *way down the road* if we don't get out of our car-centric regional growth mindset.
Piggybacking off of this.

I support an expanded commuter rail system. Lines to San Marcos, Round Rock, Georgetown, Elgin, etc. as well as a complete light rail system eventually with downtown subway. We’ve gone all-in on bike lanes, which is wonderful, and we need to see more of that and sidewalks city-wide. I’d also like to see Austin invest in inner-city streetcar, but light rail has already been such a huge fight.

All of that said, highways are still a VERY important piece of the puzzle. With the anticipated population, we need to plan for a bunch more sprawl and vehicular commuters rather than bury our heads in the sand as if they aren’t going to exist.

All of the following should already be freeways (or tolled):

• 290 to Dripping Springs
• 71 to Bastrop
• 71 to Marble Falls
• 290 to Elgin
• 79 from 130 to Taylor (with 79 between 35 and 130 getting the Lakeshore Drive, Allen Parkway, etc. treatment)
• the entirety of 360
• 620 between the Steiner Ranch and 183
• 45 Southwest between 35 and the existing stretch
• 1431 from just past Trails End to 130 (in WilCo planning docs)
• 29 from 183 to 35 (in Wilco planning docs)
• 183 South between 71 and 130

All of these are in some degree going to eventually happen and are in planning stages of some degree or another. We just already need them.

I would also add:

• a completion of the outer loop via a 45SW western extension to 290, turning north around the Austin Zoo, skirting to the east of Bee Caves and connecting to 620 from 71 thru the 6D Ranch and skirting just east of Steiner Ranch — then add 45 signage to all of the outer loop
• Parmer Lane between 45NW and 130 (a MoPac or even Lakeshore style treatment)—there is just SO MUCH incoming commercial, residential, and employment developments happening in this corridor and there are only THREE routes into Austin from the northwest: 2222, 183, and Parmer. 183 is not going to be able to absorb the additional capacity long term, even with the improvements, and 2222 is far away from everything, whereas Parmer is going to play center stage when the Robinson Ranch finally get built out—we need to be seizing enough ROW now to make this happen. This also provides an ingress/egress east/west route to the Domain and a total bypass to the non-tolled portions of 183. The big sticking point is how to build freeway between 35 and MoPac. You can get creative and make it happen. For much of the portion between MoPac and 45, there’s enough space to build tolled mainlanes, a collector distributor system, and access roads to replace the existing capacity.
• a new river crossing in the vicinity of Pace Bend park (some local leaders have pushed for this)
• an east-west interstate via an upgrade of 71 the entire way to Houston and 290 west to Junction. The mythical I-10 North.
• an east-west interstate spur of the I-14 network concurrent with a complete upgrade of US-79 east and US-183 north until their intersection points
• TX-21 between San Marcos and 130. We need to provide a viable freeway pathway between San Marcos and Austin as an alternative to I-35 as the southern communities grow. 130 is too far afield to be practically useful to these communities, but it could easily become more useful if 21 is used to create an additional “bypass” route for I-35 around Austin.

In any comparable metropolitan area of similar size, all of this would already exist. And we’re playing planning catch up without really grasping the hole we’re gonna be in at 5 million metro.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Last edited by wwmiv; Dec 28, 2023 at 8:48 AM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 9:04 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I’ll also add that when the metro does reach 4 or 5 million, there may clearly be the need for another outer bypass. The obvious money is on the TX-95 corridor from Temple to Bastrop and either an upgrade of TX-21 between Bastrop and 130 or in the TX-304 corridor south of Bastrop to I-10. Or both.

All of those being freeway are about where 4-5 million metropolitan area should be at. Keep in mind that Dallas’s subdivision of their metro is about 5 million, and it still has more freeways than everything I’ve listed above plus what we’ve already built.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post

I support an expanded commuter rail system. Lines to San Marcos, Round Rock, Georgetown, Elgin, etc. as well as a complete light rail system eventually with downtown subway. We’ve gone all-in on bike lanes, which is wonderful, and we need to see more of that and sidewalks city-wide. I’d also like to see Austin invest in inner-city streetcar, but light rail has already been such a huge fight.

All of that said, highways are still a VERY important piece of the puzzle. With the anticipated population, we need to plan for a bunch more sprawl and vehicular commuters rather than bury our heads in the sand as if they aren’t going to exist.

• 71 to Bastrop
• 71 to Marble Falls
• 290 to Elgin
• 79 from 130 to Taylor (with 79 between 35 and 130 getting the Lakeshore Drive, Allen Parkway, etc. treatment)
• the entirety of 360

All of these are in some degree going to eventually happen and are in planning stages of some degree or another. We just already need them.

I would also add:

• a completion of the outer loop via a 45SW western extension to 290, turning north around the Austin Zoo, skirting to the east of Bee Caves and connecting to 620 from 71 thru the 6D Ranch and skirting just east of Steiner Ranch — then add 45 signage to all of the outer loop
• Parmer Lane between 45NW and 130 (a MoPac or even Lakeshore style treatment)—there is just SO MUCH incoming commercial, residential, and employment developments happening in this corridor and there are only THREE routes into Austin from the northwest: 2222, 183, and Parmer. 183 is not going to be able to absorb the additional capacity long term, even with the improvements, and 2222 is far away from everything, whereas Parmer is going to play center stage when the Robinson Ranch finally get built out—we need to be seizing enough ROW now to make this happen. This also provides an ingress/egress east/west route to the Domain and a total bypass to the non-tolled portions of 183. The big sticking point is how to build freeway between 35 and MoPac. You can get creative and make it happen. For much of the portion between MoPac and 45, there’s enough space to build tolled mainlanes, a collector distributor system, and access roads to replace the existing capacity.
• a new river crossing in the vicinity of Pace Bend park (some local leaders have pushed for this)
• an east-west interstate via an upgrade of 71 the entire way to Houston and 290 west to Junction. The mythical I-10 North.
• an east-west interstate spur of the I-14 network concurrent with a complete upgrade of US-79 east and US-183 north until their intersection points
• TX-21 between San Marcos and 130. We need to provide a viable freeway pathway between San Marcos and Austin as an alternative to I-35 as the southern communities grow. 130 is too far afield to be practically useful to these communities, but it could easily become more useful if 21 is used to create an additional “bypass” route for I-35 around Austin.

In any comparable metropolitan area of similar size, all of this would already exist. And we’re playing planning catch up without really grasping the hole we’re gonna be in at 5 million metro.

YES! Spot on across the board. Well summarized.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 2:47 PM
World Traveler

Quote:

• 71 to Bastrop
• 71 to Marble Falls
• 290 to Elgin
• the entirety of 360

Agreed on a lot of this - and I didn't mean to come off as wholly opposed to highways in general. I think we both agree that we (i.e., Texans) rely too much on them while simultaneously being deficient in that area.

I would add to this that 2243 from Georgetown to Leander is also planned by Wilco.

Quote:
I would also add:

I think with a lot of these, the focus needs to be on regional planning, not just commuting to and from the core. Like it or not, we have sprawl and have to build accordingly with the immensely difficult task of not creating further sprawl in the process. Texas always plays catch-up, it seems. Granted, the growth has outpaced any planning that had been done previously as well, but we still have a lot to do.

The Pace Bend Park crossing idea is interesting. There is also a plan to cross from Wirtz Dam Rd to 2147 (west of Marble Falls) - that one is almost certain to happen as it is in design, I believe. There are also two additional proposed crossings to the east - one being a loop around Marble Falls and eventually Burnet, and another just east of Spicewood Beach. Burnet County plans speak to both of these but not in great detail.

Quote:
Bingo.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 8:44 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Good to see I'm not the only one who still sees the need for highway expansion in a rapidly growing city such as Austin. Especially one which has historically been so reticent to build any transportation infrastructure.

I suppose I'm old school in my thinking that multi-modal is the responsible path moving forward. It seems today many want only roads, while hating transit, bike, and pedestrian infrastructure. Or vice versa.

While I am glad Austin escaped the 1960s plans which would've been disasterous, I feel like the city threw the baby out with the bathwater in certain regards. Freeways running down Cesar Chavez or Guadalupe seems preposterous. However, isn't it also quite preposterous that in 2023 we're just now getting the only major western entrance into our city upgraded from rural standards? This was a project needed 40 plus years ago.

The same goes for I-35. There's a black and white picture floating around of I-35 and Riverside back in the 50s or early 60s where the highway is exactly the same as it is today. The Austin region has grown from about 200,000 in 1960 to about 2.5 million in 2023. Texas has grown from less than 10 million to over 30 million.

Let's build a great transit system, have a city where every street has sidewalks, where riding a bicycle is safe, and build out an efficient highway network. There is no reason all of the above can not be accomplished.

I will add that in my opinion the environmental activists in this city really failed to lead during the years where they had great success stopping highway construction, had SOS enacted, etc. Imagine in the late 80s into the early 90s had they rallied behind land use reform, and transit as an alternative to highway expansion and auto-dependent sprawl.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 9:41 PM
Resident Moron

Look, its not that highway infrastructure never matters but the Katy freeway did not improve traffic from Katy to Houston it just made suburban sprawl worse.

America does not have a problem building highways or making existing city lanes dangerous for anyone not in a giant SUV. It has a problem with everything else.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Agreed on a lot of this - and I didn't mean to come off as wholly opposed to highways in general. I think we both agree that we (i.e., Texans) rely too much on them while simultaneously being deficient in that area.

I would add to this that 2243 from Georgetown to Leander is also planned by Wilco.

I think with a lot of these, the focus needs to be on regional planning, not just commuting to and from the core. Like it or not, we have sprawl and have to build accordingly with the immensely difficult task of not creating further sprawl in the process. Texas always plays catch-up, it seems. Granted, the growth has outpaced any planning that had been done previously as well, but we still have a lot to do.
There are multiple other WilCo proposals for freeways beyond the ones I mentioned and 2243. I think the 2243 is overkill, being redundant to both 1431 and 29, personally.

And I know and never thought you were not pro-transit or anti-highway. I apologize if I came off as having directed it at you! I was just directing it at anyone who doesn’t see the need for more capacity.

Last edited by wwmiv; Dec 29, 2023 at 12:31 AM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post

Look, its not that highway infrastructure never matters but the Katy freeway did not improve traffic from Katy to Houston it just made suburban sprawl worse.

America does not have a problem building highways or making existing city lanes dangerous for anyone not in a giant SUV. It has a problem with everything else.
Just teasing: Username tracks.

The key to fixing traffic on I-35 is to provide useful bypasses and alternative ingress, egress routes. 130 is a very useful piece of the puzzle, but think more systemically (its a network, things don’t function in isolation):

• 21 would make 130 even more useful and help take load off of 35 by creating a more time effective bypass.
• a complete inner and outer loop would allow people multiple options to bypass central 35. Currently, the most efficient route from San Marcos to Cedar Park takes you through downtown Austin on either MoPac or 35 to get to 183. 360 and a completed 45 should be viable routes as well. That’d take significant load off of 35.

This is a long one:

• east/west interstates would also significantly unburden 35 (and 10) as they would allow shipping from additional points of entry from the east (via 79 to I-14 and 71 to I-10, and points beyond on those interstates once I-14 is completed) and from the west (via 290 to I-10 and 183 to I-14, and points beyond on those interstates). Currently, freight traffic generally travels north or south on 35 into San Antonio or Dallas before switching to another interstate. This is one of the biggest drivers of traffic on 35 and having interstate billed east west alternative ingress routes. Going further, having TWO east west connections makes it even better: one on the north side and one on the south, means that inbound traffic will generally never pass through central Austin at all. A long hauler traveling from Atlanta to the north burbs, for instance, will take I-20 to Meridien and then switch to I-14 for the rest of the way, whereas to south Austin they’d take 85/65 to Mobile and 10/I-10N all the way into south Austin. Currently, they take I-20 into Dallas and then get on 35 going south. People make fun of Pennsylvania for having SO MANY rural interstates, but when was the last time you heard about anyone in Pennsylvania complaining about traffic? They have well dispersed traffic. With many bypasses and reliever routes in a completely thought out system. We have I-10, I-20, I-35, I-37, and I-45. That’s a system built for a state of 10 million. To really relieve traffic on our existing interstates, we need a more fleshed out rural interstate system, starting with the systems currently in development:

• I-14: Midland through San Angelo to Killeen to College Station to rural east Texas
• I-69: Texarkana to Houston to Victoria, Corpus, Laredo, and the RGV
• I-27 extension from Lubbock south to Midland/Odessa to San Angelo to Sonora and Del
Rio/Laredo and north to Texline
• I-37 extension from San Antonio via US-281 to Hico and US-67 into Fort Worth
• an I-32 from Fort Worth to Wichita Falls and Amarillo
• an I-47 from Houston through College Station, Waco, and Stephenville, to I-20
• an I-2 completely paralleling the border from the RGV to Laredo and Del Rio, although national security and immigration issues may trump this
• an I-6 from San Antonio to Del Rio
• I-44 extended from Wichita Falls through Abilene to San Angelo

Currently anything going north travels through Austin on 35. If we had a bunch of other interstates connecting to points north, Austin’s traffic nightmare would be A LOT LESS. When I-69 is completed to Houston, traffic in San Antonio will be significantly eased. When it is completed to Texarkana and Louisiana and Arkansas finish their portions, I-69 will likely carry as much traffic as I-35 and Austin’s traffic burden will be significantly reduced. Anything going from Mexico to Ontario or anywhere in the US Northeast can now take I-69, rather than I-35. Furthermore, the Ports to Plains corridor (I-27) will likely have the same effect for shipping to Alberta and British Columbia. That would leave 35 as the main route for goods going to… only the cities on the I-35 and I-29 corridors and Winnipeg. Like I said, it’s a system. The state hasn’t just been thinking about local inputs of traffic. There are significant external inputs as well, and many projects they’re working on statewide will have massive local effects here in Austin.

https://www.cato.org/blog/debunking-induced-demand-myth
https://www.washingtonpolicy.org/pub...hing-for-roads
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/12/31...-it-means/amp/
https://www.bensouthwood.co.uk/p/why...demand-is-fake
https://www.reddit.com/r/urbanplanni...nduced_demand/

Not directed at you, but: people need to stop this straw man argument that everyone who (rationally) sees the need for more road and freeway infrastructure is either stupid or anti-transit. We aren’t. We are the majority. And we are actually quite well informed.

Continuing from my point about a fully fleshed out interstate system in Texas relates to induced demand. Induced demand only works if one (or both) of the following two things are true:

1. There was latent demand from people who wanted to take vehicular trips but for some reason (traffic, time, money, etc) would have chosen not to if it were not for the new infrastructure;
2. The new infrastructure results in rerouted trips from other corridors.

Either way, you’re resulting in a net positive for society:

1. More people are more able to do the things they want to do, even though the system eventually reach a new equilibrium there are still more people being serviced by the transportation system than before.
2. This results in theoretically less traffic on the other corridors which were trips were rerouted away from, which would be a good thing except this results in induced demand’s other tenet: which is that now more people will choose to take those local routes to do local things that they couldn’t do before because those routes were clogged with thru-commuters. Except just like in point 1: you eventually reach a new equilibrium where MORE PEOPLE are able to choose to go and do the things they need and want to do, which is necessary for society to thrive and flourish.

In the case of interstates, those new interstate corridors are going to induce demand away from I-35, which will allow Austinites to go out and do things. Yeah, they might still complain about the awful traffic (because there will still be awful traffic), but instead of being awful traffic with relatively few Austinites able to go do things (e.g. they’re all sitting at home complaining about how they wish they could go out except for the traffic), it’ll be Austinites complaining about the drive there to their friends at the restaurant they’re sitting down at to have an alcohol-free dinner. Which scenario seems better to you? People enjoying their lives or people sitting at home miserable because of traffic clogged with big rigs and other thru-travelers? Let Houston and San Angelo have that through-traffic.

All of this would be a HUGE economic boon to rural Texas, giving lifeblood to cities which have been starved by their larger brethren, breeding resentment and fueling hatred toward those large cities. Hence the rise of MAGA. We need to start spreading the pie away from our large cities and toward poor smaller ones, it’ll be good for both: take the pressure off of larger cities and renew growth and prosperity in the smaller ones. Imagine if liberals realized that they can have their pie and eat it, too, if they share. Instead of continuing to pump money only into infrastructure in cities, we may get more bang for our buck by creating additional capacity in new corridors to ease the burden on our existing infrastructure rather than have to reconstruct it all.

Last edited by wwmiv; Dec 29, 2023 at 12:01 AM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post

Thankfully UT is going to cap all that!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 12:21 AM

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...htmlview?pli=1

Data is city limits, from The Transport Politic

Austin is one of the ten highest inbound commuter cities, fwiw, and even back in 1960 71.6% of commuters used a personal vehicle in Austin. In 2018, that was 83.4. No matter what we do with transit, more freeway capacity in more places with more lanes is necessary. We are never going to be New York City. We will never be Chicago. We will never be Boston or Philadelphia. The best we are going to get is detached two story home neighborhoods with two to three homes arranged front to back on each parcel. This is already happening everywhere on the eastside, and is now going to happen in wide swaths across the central city, and the end result is going to be a distinct type of quasi-urbanism.

And even then. Even if 1/10 of all lots in the inner loop get redeveloped per the new standards. Even if we built overnight a complete commuter, light rail, and streetcar system. Transit mode share is never going to be higher than 15% in Austin. Period. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t build the best most world class transit system. Because that’s what it’s going to take to keep the roads as “clear” as possible so they can then re-absorb the additional demand that comes with population growth.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 12:52 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
The Pace Bend Park crossing idea is interesting. There is also a plan to cross from Wirtz Dam Rd to 2147 (west of Marble Falls) - that one is almost certain to happen as it is in design, I believe. There are also two additional proposed crossings to the east - one being a loop around Marble Falls and eventually Burnet, and another just east of Spicewood Beach. Burnet County plans speak to both of these but not in great detail.
The Pace Bend Park idea has actually been mentioned by the mayor of Lago Vista. He wants to connect 2322 across the river and up to 1431.

I was unaware of the Burnet County crossings, which would be great. Particularly the one at Spicewood Beach. Do you have a link to planning docs? Pace Bend and 6D Ranch would still be the ideal places for new crossings, and have both been talked about by local leaders in the last. I really hope they’re revived.

I would also add that we need multiple river crossings into Dog’s Head to make it viable as a neighborhood. Two in each direction. On the west, Shelton and Bolm, on the north Decker and Blue Bluff, and on the east Tesla Road and a new throughway to 973. Otherwise, the traffic on 183 and 71 is going to be a mess, especially with the growth of Bastrop and the Airport.

And that we need more bridges generally throughout the core of the city. But there’s really nowhere to squeeze them. Younger me would have said Comal or Chicon, Trinity (we’re getting a rail bridge there, and I’ll happily take it), and Nueces. And I still think we need a crossing at Nueces.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Good to see I'm not the only one who still sees the need for highway expansion in a rapidly growing city such as Austin. Especially one which has historically been so reticent to build any transportation infrastructure.
It’s a shame, isn’t it, that more people have fallen victim to “do nothing” thinking in any respect.

Quote:
I suppose I'm old school in my thinking that multi-modal is the responsible path moving forward. It seems today many want only roads, while hating transit, bike, and pedestrian infrastructure. Or vice versa.
All of the above has always been the best approach in a country and state that can afford to do it, except we haven’t because our taxes are too low.

Quote:
While I am glad Austin escaped the 1960s plans which would've been disasterous, I feel like the city threw the baby out with the bathwater in certain regards. Freeways running down Cesar Chavez or Guadalupe seems preposterous. However, isn't it also quite preposterous that in 2023 we're just now getting the only major western entrance into our city upgraded from rural standards? This was a project needed 40 plus years ago.
I agree with you on the old plans. And that we through the baby out with the bathwater, and maybe even the tub, too.

Quote:
The same goes for I-35. There's a black and white picture floating around of I-35 and Riverside back in the 50s or early 60s where the highway is exactly the same as it is today. The Austin region has grown from about 200,000 in 1960 to about 2.5 million in 2023. Texas has grown from less than 10 million to over 30 million.
Same goes for the broader interstate system within Texas.

Quote:
Let's build a great transit system, have a city where every street has sidewalks, where riding a bicycle is safe, and build out an efficient highway network. There is no reason all of the above can not be accomplished.
Right? It’s all accomplishable.

I like to always make sure I bullet point out every component of the transit system to anyone I’m speaking with, that way each component gets equal billing as each component of the roadway network, e.g.

A great Austin requires:

• airport (for international travel)
• interstates (for interregional driving)
• high speed rail (for interregional transit)
• freeways (for metropolitan area driving)
• commuter rail (for metropolitan area transit)
• arterial roads (for within city driving)
• light rail (for within city transit)
• neighborhood roads (with within neighborhood driving)
• streetcar (for within urban neighborhood transit)
• busses (for within suburban neighborhood transit)
• bike lanes throughout
• sidewalks throughout
• dedicated rideshare stations (modeled after bus stops) in the urban core, in specific districts, and adjacent to heavily used bus stops and in transit centers.
• and express lanes (for express travel) on all freeway corridors

Quote:
I will add that in my opinion the environmental activists in this city really failed to lead during the years where they had great success stopping highway construction, had SOS enacted, etc. Imagine in the late 80s into the early 90s had they rallied behind land use reform, and transit as an alternative to highway expansion and auto-dependent sprawl.
They are some of my least favorite people to engage with. They’re usually pretty rude and unwavering in their opinions and unwilling to seek compromise anywhere even when doing so would actually result in more forest being saved than if they got their way entirely. The odd thing about the trap we’re in is it is entirely their doing.

The local factors of our housing crisis? Their fault.
The traffic? Their fault.
The lack of light rail already built? Also their fault. You think they voted for rail? LMFAO. No. That crowd is anti-development in all its meaning. No roads, no rail. And the ones that did support rail probably didn’t get out and volunteer like they do with green space initiatives.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 2:11 AM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
It’s a shame, isn’t it, that more people have fallen victim to “do nothing” thinking in any respect.

A great Austin requires:
Agreed on pretty much everything.

I wanted to quote these two parts in particular because I think it pretty much sums it up.

I can not quite understand it, but there is a quite prevelent mindset in Austin which seemingly does not want this city to be great. Now, I am very well aware what makes a place great is debateable.

Not that there aren't other issues in the city, but transportation has been a major problem for a long time.

The city is subpar when it comes to freeways.

The city is subpar when it comes to arterials.

The city is subpar when it comes to bridges over the river.

The city is subpar when it comes to sidewalks.

The city is subpar when it comes to bus transit.

The city is subpar when it comes to rail transit.

I think it really is the epitome of do nothing, bury your head in the sand, and hope they don't come.

This mindset has manifested itself in other aspects of the city as well. The Zilker Park fiasco is a recent example. For Austin's signature park, it is in need of some serious TLC. We could really turn it into something spectacular. We could cap and stitch Barton Springs Rd. Everyone freaked out about having underground parking garages which would eliminate surface parking lots that could be green space instead! I've gone to Zilker Hillside Theater. It was a dusty mess. What would be wrong with having a small amphitheater for events? What's wrong with sprucing the place up a bit? But the mention of such things drives some into a manic episode.

But I digress. I hope more people who do want to see Austin grow and prosper, as well as change for the better will make their voices heard in the coming years.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 4:44 AM

Basically this

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 12:54 PM

I don’t want to go more than 10 miles in any given direction without hitting a freeway at least 8 lanes wide, but preferably 24… Because that will get me to my destination quicker.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 2:37 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
There are multiple other WilCo proposals for freeways beyond the ones I mentioned and 2243. I think the 2243 is overkill, being redundant to both 1431 and 29, personally.
Yeah, I don't think both 2243 and 29 will (or should) happen in full. I do think it will depend on how much they build up 29 with ROW before starting anything, whereas 2243 has room (currently). Ultimately, either option will connect to the SW Bypass and then travel south of Georgetown through to 130 and then on to 29 again.

Quote:
And I know and never thought you were not pro-transit or anti-highway. I apologize if I came off as having directed it at you! I was just directing it at anyone who doesn’t see the need for more capacity.
No worries! I only cried a little.

Quote:
The Pace Bend Park idea has actually been mentioned by the mayor of Lago Vista. He wants to connect 2322 across the river and up to 1431.
I vaguely recall hearing about that now - either on here or in the paper.

Quote:
I was unaware of the Burnet County crossings, which would be great. Particularly the one at Spicewood Beach. Do you have a link to planning docs? Pace Bend and 6D Ranch would still be the ideal places for new crossings, and have both been talked about by local leaders in the last. I really hope they’re revived.
This shows two of the bridges on a few different slides:
https://www.burnetcountytexas.org/pa...ion%20Plan.pdf

I couldn't find the bypass map that I'm thinking of - it was an older proposal, but this displays the idea at least for the Marble Falls portion:
https://marblefallstx.gov/DocumentCe...hfare-Plan-PDF

The idea is a loop around Marble Falls with a future extension to go around Burnet as well, but those are interestingly missing from the latest versions of the Burnet County Transportation Plan (2020), which is what CAMPO is currently utilizing for that area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin