HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 2:11 PM

edit

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 10:10 PM
Ham-burgher

More images of Hamilton's John Sopinka Courthouse
Opened as the main post office in 1936, expanded/renovated and re-opened in 1999 for court use.

Source

Source

Source

Source

Wentworth County Courthouse (1958)
This was used by McMaster University's Centre for Continuing Education after Sopinka opened across the street. But it was reclaimed by the province and after a reno it's now back to provincial court use.

Source

Source

Source

Unified Family Court (1913)
This was originally the main branch of the Hamilton Public Library, repurposed after the new library attached to Jackson Square opened in 1980. This is on the same block as city hall, northeast corner.

Source

Source

Central Library (1980)
This is the building that replaced the 1913 Carnegie Library, now 39 years old. The pic is post-reno, which was done in conjunction with the farmer's market just below and east of it, between 2009-2011 or so.

Source

Hydro building (1950)
I've seen a few posts with hydro buildings in other cities, thought this was worth a look. It's now one of the offices of Alectra Utilities, formerly the Hamilton Hydro-Electric Commission and then Horizon Utilities before amalgamations happened. It lies on the northeast edge of downtown, adjacent to what's been a parking lot wasteland for decades...

Source

Source

Source

Also notable, though not a public building per se: Fire Station No. 1 (1913) is just south of the hydro building.

Source

Source

Source

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Sep 13, 2019 at 2:13 AM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 10:14 PM
Ham-burgher

Burlington city hall (1965)
A 1980s expansion added most of the two to three floors that now surround the original 8-storey tower.

Source

Source

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Sep 12, 2019 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 11:24 PM
Ham-burgher

Some other notable historical municipal buildings that are still standing in Hamilton. These were town halls prior to amalgamation of the city with its five regional suburbs in 2001.

Dundas (1849)
Still used as a municipal service centre.

Source

Source

Source

East Flamborough Township Hall, in Waterdown (1857)
It later became a library until 2015, then renovated for private office space.

Source

Source

Ancaster (1871)
Now rented out for meetings, weddings, and other events.

Source

Source

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Sep 12, 2019 at 11:35 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Burlington city hall (1965)
A 1980s expansion added most of the two to three floors that now surround the original 8-storey tower.

Source

Source
I used to hate Burlington City Hall, but I have recently come to like it.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 1:36 PM

^ It's very nice... that would have been a pretty bold architectural statement for a smaller city to make back in 1965.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 1:59 PM

I like passing through the small DTs of Dundas and Ancaster. Waterdown's is very small. But all three are in close proximity to the Escarpment and some cool windy roads so always makes for an interesting drive.

I love Burlington's DT. Oakville's is more "charming", but Burlington's is closer to a real DT so I prefer walking around there.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:53 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I like passing through the small DTs of Dundas and Ancaster. Waterdown's is very small. But all three are in close proximity to the Escarpment and some cool windy roads so always makes for an interesting drive.

I love Burlington's DT. Oakville's is more "charming", but Burlington's is closer to a real DT so I prefer walking around there.

Yeah, I've long maintained that Burlington's downtown is probably the best of the suburban municipalities in the GTHA. It's a bit undersized for a standalone city of that size, but not nearly so much as most of the others, and it actually has a substantial amount of both employment and residential space. You need the combination to have an actual functioning downtown, not just a quaint retail / restaurant strip.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 6:35 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Yeah, I've long maintained that Burlington's downtown is probably the best of the suburban municipalities in the GTHA. It's a bit undersized for a standalone city of that size, but not nearly so much as most of the others, and it actually has a substantial amount of both employment and residential space. You need the combination to have an actual functioning downtown, not just a quaint retail / restaurant strip.
I disagree that employment is "substantial" in Burlington's core. There are a few small office and mixed use buildings in downtown B-Town, and many old homes converted to commercial/office use, but there could be so much more. In Halton most of the employment is along the QEW corridor, in Burlington and Oakville (check out the employment surveys; they map things at a municipal level but unfortunately don't break down sub-municipal areas).

People may look at the towers and see a "downtown" but as an employment node there's much to do yet. Most of the talk lately has been about fighting tall condo towers and supporting local retail, but getting more offices in the core seems to be a non-issue I wish city council would focus attention toward.

I've lived on the edge of downtown for more than 13 years and aside from new residential developments and some change in restaurant/retail the office component hasn't seemed to keep up. This city can do better that way.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 2:12 PM

Tried to find a thread about Canada's schools and couldn't find one so I thought I'd drop this here. New school in Métis-sur-Mer, Gaspésie by Stéphane Groleau photographe.

https://www.facebook.com/Stephane.Gr...epa=SEARCH_BOX

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 2:53 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I disagree that employment is "substantial" in Burlington's core. There are a few small office and mixed use buildings in downtown B-Town, and many old homes converted to commercial/office use, but there could be so much more. In Halton most of the employment is along the QEW corridor, in Burlington and Oakville (check out the employment surveys; they map things at a municipal level but unfortunately don't break down sub-municipal areas).

People may look at the towers and see a "downtown" but as an employment node there's much to do yet. Most of the talk lately has been about fighting tall condo towers and supporting local retail, but getting more offices in the core seems to be a non-issue I wish city council would focus attention toward.

I've lived on the edge of downtown for more than 13 years and aside from new residential developments and some change in restaurant/retail the office component hasn't seemed to keep up. This city can do better that way.
I prefer Burlington's downtown however, Oshawa's feels more like the prototypical downtown.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 8:00 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I thought this photo of Halifax's city hall (1887) was interesting. It shows the "moat" between the building and the square in front (Grand Parade):

Source

The building is built on a hill. It's 3 storeys on the Argyle side and 4 on the Barrington side. There were also stables built under the Grand Parade; the entrance is still there on the Barrington side.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 8:31 PM

Pembroke, ON Courthouse

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 8:49 PM

Ottawa:

Not sure what this one's called

Bank of Canada

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 1:22 PM

Ah yes, this thread wouldn’t be complete without Ottawa! The first ones called the Confederation Building.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 1:57 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Pine View Post

This is the main downtown Ottawa headquarters of the Department of National Defence. It is along the Rideau Canal and across the street from the south entrances of the Rideau Centre.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 1:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Behind the island in the middle is the fairly new Jim Flaherty Building which is home to the federal Department of Finance.

On the left you can make out a bit of the more classic Lord Elgin Hotel.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 2:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

This is the Connaught Building, which happens to be the downtown Ottawa home of the Canada Revenue Agency. It lies at the southern end of Sussex Drive between the Byward Market and the Château Laurier.

Two other buildings further down on Sussex have similar architecture.

This is the Royal Canadian Mint:
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4315...7i16384!8i8192

And this is the National Research Council:
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4382...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 12:24 AM

Hadn't actually seen Milton's town hall before today as I went for a walk around DT Milton. Quite possibly the nicest in the GTA outside Toronto. It's a former jail.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...n_Ontario.html

http://wikimapia.org/1218681/Milton-Town-Hall

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 3:01 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Quote:
Ottawa:

This is the Connaught Building, which happens to be the downtown Ottawa home of the Canada Revenue Agency. It lies at the southern end of Sussex Drive between the Byward Market and the Château Laurier.
Great imagery, a bureaucratically inspired version of the Tower of London, presumably a place of imprisonment for tax evasion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada