HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 8:45 PM

Heard rumours that Buff got up to 285 in the offseason... full possible that he was planning on playing then when the time came to have to get into gear, he said F it. Lol.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 12:51 PM

I was at last night's game and I won't comment on the players since it was basically a combo of the Jets and Moose vs. Iowa Wild and it's hard to draw conclusions as a result. However, I will say that the new lighting at the rink is very noticeable. Gone is the almost beige/yellowish tint we are accustomed to seeing at Bell MTS... it's a much more crisp, bright white light. I like it.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:12 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Heard rumours that Buff got up to 285 in the offseason... full possible that he was planning on playing then when the time came to have to get into gear, he said F it. Lol.
I think these guys are being pretty selfish, actually.

Chevy is so hampered by these three guys right now that I'm sure he's pulling his hair out.

These guys going for massive contracts amidst a salary cap era make me crazy. It's good for the NHL in someways because you don't end up with these dynasties that you see in the NFL (Pats) and NBA (Warriors) because the rich teams can afford to pay large sums for these guys. But, some of these NHL players are making big asks when teams don't have the space to pay them. It's really starting to grind my gears.

Buff had all summer to decide whether he wanted to retire. It annoys me that he shows up at training camp and then takes a personal leave because he wants to contemplate his future. Talk about sticking it to his team and management. I get that things might have changed- maybe he showed up and realized he didn't want to play anymore, but c'mon- he couldn't have decided that this summer??

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I was at last night's game and I won't comment on the players since it was basically a combo of the Jets and Moose vs. Iowa Wild and it's hard to draw conclusions as a result. However, I will say that the new lighting at the rink is very noticeable. Gone is the almost beige/yellowish tint we are accustomed to seeing at Bell MTS... it's a much more crisp, bright white light. I like it.
I thought the same thing. All LED now. Not sure if you stayed in your seat for the first intermission, but they had a video playing and demo'd the new lights – they're 100% adjustable and colour-changing, which is really cool. They can flood the entire arena in any colour, any brightness now.

I imagine they'll do the demo for a while at intermission if you want to check it out.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 7:20 PM

Quote:
I thought the same thing. All LED now. Not sure if you stayed in your seat for the first intermission, but they had a video playing and demo'd the new lights – they're 100% adjustable and colour-changing, which is really cool. They can flood the entire arena in any colour, any brightness now.

I imagine they'll do the demo for a while at intermission if you want to check it out.
I thought I noticed a difference when I first walked in, and it was that intermission presentation that confirmed my suspicions. It's pretty cool.

Didn't they upgrade the lighting in there when the Jets came back?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:
I thought I noticed a difference when I first walked in, and it was that intermission presentation that confirmed my suspicions. It's pretty cool.

Didn't they upgrade the lighting in there when the Jets came back?
The tv lights they did but 8 years ago LED wasn’t as prevalent as it today. I’m sure there will be energy saving associated with this upgrade as well.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:04 PM

Regarding new lighting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
I get that things might have changed- maybe he showed up and realized he didn't want to play anymore, but c'mon- he couldn't have decided that this summer??
I think it is more likely when he started doing the skates he realized he was well short on the physical condition he needed to be to play at that level. He could have approached the team about wanting extra time to work on his conditioning away from the public eye to see if he can get into the needed shape or if it is time to retire.

It is one thing to be working on your physical conditioning at home. It is very different to show up at a skate and needing to be keeping pace with people ten years younger than you. It is quite possible he legitimately thought he was doing okay off season but fell well short.

It is also unfair to the team to say he really screwed them over. The team knew they were losing Trouba and was actively looking for alternatives and there were not any available that were willing to come here.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 2:07 PM

It's funny the way TNSE touted the customer service desk as one of the upgrades this year, it's so dinky and tucked in a weird spot. Nothing really that different or noticable other than the floors, and the event photos and new clippings replaced with LED screens. While cosmetically it is a bit fresher and newer, I actually think the skywalk upgrades are a downgrade tbh. It's just a long, drab, grey hall. The particle board and beige gave it a bit of warmth, it now feels like a hospital.

That being said I don't really care, I just don't think it's much of an improvement haha.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 4:15 PM

Doesn't Buff realize how much he owes us? smh...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 6:39 PM

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Well the above pics say otherwise.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Well the above pics say otherwise.
He looks quite a bit heavier in those photos to me

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 9:19 PM

In one of those pics, it almost looks like Andrew Scheer in the background peering over Buff's shoulder.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 6:29 PM

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the Jets tend to lose,or lose in OT after a last second tie, in at least half a dozen games a year? Yes, last night was pre-season, etc. etc., but except for their deep playoff run season a couple of years ago, they have regularly given up games over the years in the last minute of play. I don't mind watching the team re-build, but this sort of constant collapse, for me, is endlessly tiresome and frustrating.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the Jets tend to lose,or lose in OT after a last second tie, in at least half a dozen games a year? Yes, last night was pre-season, etc. etc., but except for their deep playoff run season a couple of years ago, they have regularly given up games over the years in the last minute of play. I don't mind watching the team re-build, but this sort of constant collapse, for me, is endlessly tiresome and frustrating.
At one minute mark with a 3-2 lead I ‘jokingly’ said to my partner, now they will lose in overtime happened way too much last couple seasons, too predictable.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 7:11 PM

Patty Boomstick signed. 2 year $13.5M.

$6m 1st year, $7.5m second year. This is key as the Jets would need to qualify Laine at at minimum of $7.5M for his next contract. That sets the bar. If the jets don't want to offer that, he's traded.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 7:18 PM

Whew. I was starting to worry about the nightmare scenario about going 0/3 on Buff, Connor and Laine.

It will be interesting to see how he rebounds after last year's somewhat below expectations performance.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Whew. I was starting to worry about the nightmare scenario about going 0/3 on Buff, Connor and Laine.

It will be interesting to see how he rebounds after last year's somewhat below expectations performance.
Personally if they can go 2/3 and get Connor re-signed I'll be happy. Their defence will suffer a bit (well....a bit more), but maybe it will force some of their younger guys to grow into their roles a little faster.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2019, 11:17 PM

Apparently if Buff doesn’t play, it would make Jets the youngest team (average age) in the NHL.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan