HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 12:54 PM

So after driving through the Victoria Construction Zone all summer, I'd dare say Phase 2 (or Phase 3?) is getting close to starting. The pile of pipping and other plumbing supplies is almost completely gone now, so the underground infrastructure work should be nearly done.

Some of the curbing on Woodstock Road is complete, along with the base for the overhead signs I think. Once they're done digging deep, I'm sure the actual roundabout routing should be done fairly quick; they only have a month or so to finish it up now.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
So after driving through the Victoria Construction Zone all summer, I'd dare say Phase 2 (or Phase 3?) is getting close to starting. The pile of pipping and other plumbing supplies is almost completely gone now, so the underground infrastructure work should be nearly done.

Some of the curbing on Woodstock Road is complete, along with the base for the overhead signs I think. Once they're done digging deep, I'm sure the actual roundabout routing should be done fairly quick; they only have a month or so to finish it up now.
Heard a rumor that it might not be completed this year. That they may have to finish next spring. Not sure how true this is as city still continues to say that the construction is on time. Stay tuned!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 7:56 PM

I could believe it may not be finished until the spring. Despite the heat in the summer, the fall is cooling off fast and was wetter than usual. They may not have time to get all the pavement down before the plants close for the season, especially if there's either an extra cool October or any delays coming forward.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Fredericton Inn and City motel are the oldest. All others either relatively new or recently major upgraded. Also forgot Howard Johnson on Prospect. Plenty of choices.

Summary: Note that all hotels are within 5 minutes of each other via car

Bishop Drive - Hampton Inn, Quality Inn, Best Western Plus
Regent Street - Fredericton Inn, City Motel
Prospect Street - Howard Johnson, Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Express
Hanwell Road - Radisson Hotel @ Kingswood
That's a lot of hotels. And that's just uptown. Fredericton must have a lot of tourists to support so many of them.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
That's a lot of hotels. And that's just uptown. Fredericton must have a lot of tourists to support so many of them.
They are all 'close' to the highway (closer when the TCH was Route-8 but still close to the TCH), so that helps in that respect.

But outside of Uptown we don't have that many more hotels.

Downtown we have 3 hotels that serve the Convention Centre, Government and events like the Harvest.

On the northside we have... 1? motel (the Ramada or the old HoJo depending on how old your memories are).

And I think there might be one or two other hotels near the University, but I'm not positive on that.

Beyond that there are 2 more in Lincoln for the airport. And I think that's about it.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 9:35 PM

There's also the Carriage House Inn on University, the Fort Nashwaak Motel, the Silverwood Inn, and the Riverside Resort.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 2:02 AM

Calendar Club added Fredericton to their list of locations.

Here are the locations in NB this year.
  • Fredericton: Regent Mall - Calendar and Game Kiosk. (Located close to Walmart). [Early November opening].
  • Saint John: McAllister Place - Calendar, Game and Toy Store. (Located beside The Children's Place). [October opening].
  • Moncton/Dieppe: CF Champlain - Calendar Only Kiosk. (Located outside Walmart). [October opening].
  • Moncton/Dieppe: CF Champlain - Calendar and Game Location. (Located beside Foot Locker). [Mid November opening].
Their website: https://www.calendarclub.ca

Last edited by DyAm00394; Sep 19, 2019 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 2:28 AM

Quote:
They are all 'close' to the highway (closer when the TCH was Route-8 but still close to the TCH), so that helps in that respect.

But outside of Uptown we don't have that many more hotels.

Downtown we have 3 hotels that serve the Convention Centre, Government and events like the Harvest.

On the northside we have... 1? motel (the Ramada or the old HoJo depending on how old your memories are).

And I think there might be one or two other hotels near the University, but I'm not positive on that.

Beyond that there are 2 more in Lincoln for the airport. And I think that's about it.
Yeah, the proximity to the highway would be key. A lot of people would be visiting the city by car. And it's not an issue to drive from Prospect to down town. It's good to see a healthy hotel industry in the city.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 4:14 PM

The Risteen Building is being demolished today. At noon the entire wood structure was down. Only the cinder block portion, with the well talked about stone, was left intact.

Last edited by Freddypop; Sep 19, 2019 at 7:36 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 5:00 PM

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 5:30 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I wish they would at least keep the stone structure. It's 200 years old for god sake!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 5:58 PM

I'm surprised the usual rabblerousers haven't blown up on Facebook over it yet. I guess until the CBC does an article on it, it hasn't happened.

It would be nice if the stone portion could be salvaged or reused somehow, but it is what it is I guess.

As I've said before, my main issue with this, is we have no idea what the plans are to replace it are. We've been told it's the usual "Apartments with retail base" project, but there's been woefully few details to help reassure people that something is actually planned and it isn't going to be empty space for the next few years. A sketch or a rendering would at least show there is something actually planned beyond a few words from the developer; and those are good ways to drum up interest in the project and to sell the space too.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 6:50 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised the usual rabblerousers haven't blown up on Facebook over it yet. I guess until the CBC does an article on it, it hasn't happened.

It would be nice if the stone portion could be salvaged or reused somehow, but it is what it is I guess.

As I've said before, my main issue with this, is we have no idea what the plans are to replace it are. We've been told it's the usual "Apartments with retail base" project, but there's been woefully few details to help reassure people that something is actually planned and it isn't going to be empty space for the next few years. A sketch or a rendering would at least show there is something actually planned beyond a few words from the developer; and those are good ways to drum up interest in the project and to sell the space too.
The heritage preservation people don't care what will replace this.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
The heritage preservation people don't care what will replace this.
Yes and?

Maybe I wasn't clear but I had two separate thoughts in my post. (Well three but the middle part was basically agreeing with KnoxfordGuy)

The first part was expressing surprise that the historical preservation people haven't raised a fuss yet.

The last part of the post was my own personal take on it, expressing some frustration that we don't know what's coming yet; considering just about every other sizeable project like this usually has sketches and/or renders available before anything changes on the lot.

I wasn't trying to imply the historical folk would care about what is replacing it, or that having the plans released before would've assuaged their concerns.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Yes and?

Maybe I wasn't clear but I had two separate thoughts in my post. (Well three but the middle part was basically agreeing with KnoxfordGuy)

The first part was expressing surprise that the historical preservation people haven't raised a fuss yet.

The last part of the post was my own personal take on it, expressing some frustration that we don't know what's coming yet; considering just about every other sizeable project like this usually has sketches and/or renders available before anything changes on the lot.

I wasn't trying to imply the historical folk would care about what is replacing it, or that having the plans released before would've assuaged their concerns.
One would think that the stone could be salvaged. Of course there would be a cost. I'd really like to see that arched window saved. It's really nice. In older photos, it shows that it used to be a door. Let's see what the developer does.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Yes and?

Regarding the heritage preservation people, fair enough.

We typically only see renderings and such if the proposal needs to go before the PAC. If whatever they're planning can be built as-of-right, that is, without the need for variances or rezoning, it doesn't need to go before the PAC and they can just get a building permit. And you can demo things before anything else is official too.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 10:21 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
I wish they would at least keep the stone structure. It's 200 years old for god sake!
I was thinking the exact samething.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 11:16 AM
@jefferyssmith

Thumbs up CBC article out today on the cancelled Centennial Building project

It be interesting to finally see some updates on the future of this property!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...yers-1.5290004

Quote:
From the article:

...in May, the government issued a request for proposals for private-sector redevelopment of the property, with "no inclusion of public money or risk to provincial taxpayers" part of the criteria.

[Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Bill] Oliver said a recommendation is expected "in the very near future."

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 11:17 AM

Well the stone portion is still standing, but they may just need different equipment to take down the stone instead of the wood. Looks like the stone part is mostly self contained.

In other news, Penny wise, pound foolish

Because the Centennial project was cancelled, we're paying 2.4M more per year in various rentals around the city instead of consolidating all those offices under one roof with no rent. That's on top of any other costs associated with cancelling the project (and extra costs we'll get when we eventually restart it)

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 12:37 PM

It's not just the fact that the courthouse financially made sense in the long term, in the short term we lost 13 mill due to halting the project halfway through and most importantly- Fredericton is in desperate need of an updated courthouse. The SJ Museum ok fine, I was there a couple weeks ago on a Saturday afternoon and it was a ghost town, my family literally had the entire 3-floor museum to ourselves; this place must be hemorrhaging money.

Hopefully, the province can make some money off the updated proposal for the centennial building but regardless, Fredericton needs a new courthouse.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces