HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 5:14 PM

It seems to be 7' on both sides except where the police hq is and it is significantly wider but has the bollards in it. There is an especially bad choke point between St Marys and York on the east side where a light post makes it less than 7' of passable space.

I haven't pulled out my tape measure to get an exact measurement but I would be shocked if it 9'. I should add the width also narrows a number of spots where the holes are currently for the trees that are likely being planted in the spring. In those stretches it would appear to be about 5'.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
There is an especially bad choke point between St Marys and York on the east side where a light post makes it less than 7' of passable space.
Overall sidewalk width vs. passable space are two different things. The City does a mediocre job of lining up street furniture, utility equipment, etc. to create a straight line for pedestrians to walk. On many streets you have to weave around random crap on the sidewalk and it's unquestionably poor design (the choke point on the Portage Avenue sidewalk by the now demolished bus shelter was the worst for this), but the sidewalk is still wide enough for people to get by each other including those on scooters/wheelchairs, etc.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:06 PM

I walked up Garry St a short while ago and so far as I can tell, the sidewalks are as wide as they were before. I didn't have a tape measure handy but 9.5' sounds about right. They don't feel especially narrow. And you can see the seams in the road, they still line up with the sidewalks. There is nothing to suggest that there have been any changes to the dimensions.

One new thing as CoryB pointed out are the bollards next to the police HQ (does that thing have a proper name yet?), they wrap around the ingress/egresses in a pretty awkward way. Not the most accessibility-friendly but probably still manageable. I think it could get messy come snow season though, I'm not sure that the usual sidewalk plows can navigate through those bollards.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:11 PM

Edit - delete duplicate

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
They definitely pulled the east side curb into the space the was the old sidewalk. I saw it happening. Maybe the plans called for different but that it what was actually done. Don't believe me? Get your tape measure out as that sidewalk is 7' or less. It isn't near someone's pet project though so it isn't getting any media coverage.
Dude, I live on the east side of Garry Street. My curb didn't move. They rebuilt the sidewalk with exactly the same dimensions that it always had. On what block did you see the curb being moved?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I like the patio on the street. That's the way it should be. take some parking spaces away.
Ya, maybe Across the Board will go out of business and the next place to take it up will put a patio in the loading zone lolol

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Overall sidewalk width vs. passable space are two different things. The City does a mediocre job of lining up street furniture, utility equipment, etc. to create a straight line for pedestrians to walk. On many streets you have to weave around random crap on the sidewalk and it's unquestionably poor design (the choke point on the Portage Avenue sidewalk by the now demolished bus shelter was the worst for this), but the sidewalk is still wide enough for people to get by each other including those on scooters/wheelchairs, etc.
What are you talking about, the city always puts function first and never cheaps out instead of moving posts over a foot for the benefit of all?! We rock at placement of street furniture and signals...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:05 PM

^ I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 8:05 PM

^Honestly it makes me sick to my stomach, and very angry. Like is there just absolutely no checks and balances with the city?

That last pic was a couple weeks ago, I believe that hole in the middle of the sidewalk is for one of those signals boxes.... it couldn't be 3 feet to the right?

Also, for some reason on some of these newer roads, instead of putting in the blue transit loading square, they're "cutting" the wayfinding paving out to the street at the exit and entrance doors. Makes no sense. And even less sense as I've seen them do this on streets like Donald 2 years ago, yet have redone streets with the standard blue boxes since. Are they just not communicating the standards to different contractors properly, or do they forget what their standards are?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 8:11 PM

I'm pretty sure it's just a huge mess over there.

Signals people: "NO! MY SIGNAL BOX MUST GO X DISTANCE FROM THE CURB!"

Hydro: "NO! THE LIGHT STANDARD MUST GO HERE! I CAN NOT MOVE IT 1'!"

Transit: What about us?

Public works: "SHUT IT TRANSIT!"

Joking, not joking..

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 10:39 PM

I'll bet my morning coffee on that cut out with the JC barricade is not a signal box location but the location where the blue brick and transit stop sign will be going back in.

Looking at Google street view there was an existing transit stop sign in almost the same location before the reconstruction started.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I'll bet my morning coffee on that cut out with the JC barricade is not a signal box location but the location where the blue brick and transit stop sign will be going back in.

Looking at Google street view there was an existing transit stop sign in almost the same location before the reconstruction started.
It's not, there's wires in the hole. You can see on the left where the pavers jut out to to street – that's what they've done instead of putting the blue square in – just "break" the line of the pavers to lead to the street. As I mentioned, they've done this a few places recently including on Donald last year.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 12:20 PM

https://www.winnipeg.ca/finance/find...3495-22-R0.pdf

There is a bus stop shown in this drawing. But the location is not very precise and would probably be decided by the technologist with the can of spray paint.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
https://www.winnipeg.ca/finance/find...3495-22-R0.pdf

There is a bus stop shown in this drawing. But the location is not very precise and would probably be decided by the technologist with the can of spray paint.
But as buzzg said, the sidewalk treatment for the bus stop is already finished at this location. Also the blue brick transit loading areas, when they exist, are placed right next to the curb where the bus doors open, not in the middle of the sidewalk like this hole is.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It's not, there's wires in the hole. You can see on the left where the pavers jut out to to street – that's what they've done instead of putting the blue square in – just "break" the line of the pavers to lead to the street. As I mentioned, they've done this a few places recently including on Donald last year.
If it was for signals control unit there would be a forest of black plastic pipe jutting out which I don't see.

I am still going to say bus stop related. They may be putting in an electronic bus stop sign which would require an electric feed aka the "wires in the hole"

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I am still going to say bus stop related. They may be putting in an electronic bus stop sign which would require an electric feed aka the "wires in the hole"
Highly unlikely at a stop that's served by only 2 bus routes.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
Highly unlikely at a stop that's served by only 2 bus routes.
Then maybe electrical for a bus shelter. The actual design specs should be somewhere in tender 6-2018 on the Winnipeg awarded contracts web page.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 3:43 PM

There's actually nothing shown there in the drawings. That's the NW corner of Garry at Graham we're talking? No work is shown in the drawings there. Event eh addendum doesn't show it. Must've been added later during construction?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There's actually nothing shown there in the drawings. That's the NW corner of Garry at Graham we're talking? No work is shown in the drawings there. Event eh addendum doesn't show it. Must've been added later during construction?
I don't think they are ever that detailed. They are usually directed on site where to put the detectable warning strips, brick accents and stop lights when they are forming. I assume bus stops would be similar.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 4:40 PM

The drawings actually show exactly where the bricks and everything are. But at that corner it shows nothing. No concrete work, nothing. It does say bus, and has some circles and stuff noting there is something there. But it's all existing, not proposed.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 2:15 PM

Walking home from work last night, I noticed the city's public works department has apparently taken away the pedestrian cross/do not cross signals across Osborne St. North on the south side of the intersection of St. Mary Ave. and Osborne N. I guess downtown's sole purpose is to accommodate quick and easy motor vehicle movement.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan