HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 4:20 PM

Asphalt should be fine. I've had other people say the same thing. Disraeli has held up very well with asphalt. Chief Peguis on the other hand. Chief is more about crappy base construction, not the asphalt.

Winnipeg historically has used a lot of concrete. It's not necessary. As long as the base is constructed well, there should be minimal issues. The asphalt can be mill and filled much easier than repairing the concrete, then diamond grinding which doesn't usually work out very well. Then the concrete will be overlaid with asphalt anyways, in typical Winnipeg fashion.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 11:06 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Asphalt should be fine. I've had other people say the same thing. Disraeli has held up very well with asphalt. Chief Peguis on the other hand. Chief is more about crappy base construction, not the asphalt.

Winnipeg historically has used a lot of concrete. It's not necessary. As long as the base is constructed well, there should be minimal issues. The asphalt can be mill and filled much easier than repairing the concrete, then diamond grinding which doesn't usually work out very well. Then the concrete will be overlaid with asphalt anyways, in typical Winnipeg fashion.
Yeah, the asphalt on Chief Peggy isn't the problem at all. The base is making these undulations throughout the route.

Other than that, it's still holding up fairly well. I do wish it was paved with concrete like the original stretch between Main and Henderson.

Oh well. Whatever can be done cheaper and a year ahead of schedule.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 1:47 AM
Formerly rypinion

There was an article in the Free Press last week about asphalt vs concrete:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...513449542.html

It included this comparison chart: https://infogram.com/comparing-concr...h8n6mqozjwm2xo

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 2:42 PM

Asphalt on Narin too, hopfully they re-pave or asphalt the part of Narin between Watt and Stadacona.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
Asphalt on Narin too, hopfully they re-pave or asphalt the part of Narin between Watt and Stadacona.
Sorry to be that guy, but...it's spelled (and pronounced) Nairn!

I'm not usually such a pedant but this is my Winnipeg pet peeve.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 3:30 PM

lol i really had no clue so thanks for the correction!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 6:17 PM

The infographic is quite accurate. One note. Late season asphalt placement, such as October and November, produces the best laid sections of road most of the time. I'm guessing because the lower temps allow for quicker more even cooling of the asphalt.

Nairn is being overlaid with asphalt. They're fixing the concrete, which actually isn't in too bad of shape, and TBO'ing with asphalt. That is typical of Winnipeg. Instead of ripping out the concrete for a more expensive project, the spot repair and overlay.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 6:03 PM

Construction of the extension of Scurfield Boulevard from Waverly St. to Bishop Grandin Crossing is underway.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 4:56 PM

Well they are currently doing a stretch of Inkster in concrete for a change because that area is always bad

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
What does everyone think of the city chinsing out on the pavement for he Waverley underpass and then bragging about coming in $50M under budget. Long term really don't see how asphalt was a wise choice, with 40K vehicles a day it's not exactly a lightly used roadway!
It’s not cheaper with asphalt as they have to lay down concrete first anyway before asphalting it, so in reality it should be more expensive than simply concrete.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 6:12 PM
What could go wrong?

There is no concrete for the underpass roadway. Only asphalt on a thick aggregate packed base.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
Sorry to be that guy, but...it's spelled (and pronounced) Nairn!

I'm not usually such a pedant but this is my Winnipeg pet peeve.
Do people call it na-rin? I've never heard that before.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 8:13 PM

^ All the time.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 8:46 PM

one word. nairn.

people who call it nai-rin are the same people who use irregardless or nucular.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
one word. nairn.

people who call it nai-rin are the same people who use irregardless or nucular.
Video Link

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
There is no concrete for the underpass roadway. Only asphalt on a thick aggregate packed base.
Maybe they were cheap as they used concrete on the McPhillips underpass and not asphalt

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 2:07 PM

I passed by Memorial Boulevard, construction is getting close to completion there. Man, does it look good now. Memorial was in such wretched condition (embarrassing for such a prominent street in front of our most important building), but it's looking great now.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
Maybe they were cheap as they used concrete on the McPhillips underpass and not asphalt
McPhillips had issues with utilities and such being very shallow. That's why it took forever.

New asphalt roads will never have concrete below them. Placing asphalt on top of concrete is a retrofit situation. I'm not sure of the popularity of this method in other places, but is extremely common and the de facto rehab in Winnipeg. Everything will get a TBO before it is blown up and fully re-constructed. This pushes off the expensive projects for 10-20 years.

There is no reason to be placing a new concrete roadway, then put asphalt on top unless you are doing this for ease of maintenance. Such things are done on the interstates and large volume highways around the world. You can come in and do a mill and fill overnight. Minimizing disruption to busy day time traffic.

Waverley underpass is asphalt for no other reason than cost. Probably was cheaper to do it asphalt. Doesn't mean that's it worse than concrete.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 4:45 PM

Quote:
McPhillips had issues with utilities and such being very shallow. That's why it took forever.

New asphalt roads will never have concrete below them. Placing asphalt on top of concrete is a retrofit situation. I'm not sure of the popularity of this method in other places, but is extremely common and the de facto rehab in Winnipeg. Everything will get a TBO before it is blown up and fully re-constructed. This pushes off the expensive projects for 10-20 years.

There is no reason to be placing a new concrete roadway, then put asphalt on top unless you are doing this for ease of maintenance. Such things are done on the interstates and large volume highways around the world. You can come in and do a mill and fill overnight. Minimizing disruption to busy day time traffic.

Waverley underpass is asphalt for no other reason than cost. Probably was cheaper to do it asphalt. Doesn't mean that's it worse than concrete.
I can think of one exception: on McGillivray they put a foot of stone on top of the existing concrete and then asphalt on top of that. I think they did it because they were changing the drainage of the roadway and the ditches so they had the ability to raise it. (Not to call you a liar, but it was one interesting exception).

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 4:50 PM

Yes! That is definitely one interesting exception. The sandwich method. They basically built up the road to a higher elevation as you mentioned. Leaving the original roadway in place. Makes sense, basically have a concrete subbase under the road.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan