Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 4:43 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
Nothing could ever beat Philippe Petit though

Just to add I assume HY and 1V are having a race to be the 3rd/4th most popular observation deck? I think HY will win out due to it's position and how they can offer special discounts if you stay there.....after you've won the lottery of course
They'll probably be about equal. 30 Hudson has the ledge, and the glass floor, One Vanderbilt will have it's own ledges with glass bottom (just not as large). Both will have lounges with dining. 30 Hudson may have the more active adventure of climbing (there's a market for that), but most people would prefer a passive elevator ride to take in the view. Vanderbilt has the added benefit of being basically Grand Central. 30 Hudson will soak up the High Line crowd.

Either way, it's a win-win for the city. Manhattan is the "monster island of skyscrapers, and it's only fitting that more options should become available for the public to really appreciate that. Some will prefer the classics like 30 Rock, and the coming Chrysler deck. I think the Empire State will always sit on top. But the Freedom Tower at the WTC could use a little something more.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
They'll probably be about equal. 30 Hudson has the ledge, and the glass floor, One Vanderbilt will have it's own ledges with glass bottom (just not as large). Both will have lounges with dining. 30 Hudson may have the more active adventure of climbing (there's a market for that), but most people would prefer a passive elevator ride to take in the view. Vanderbilt has the added benefit of being basically Grand Central. 30 Hudson will soak up the High Line crowd.

Either way, it's a win-win for the city. Manhattan is the "monster island of skyscrapers, and it's only fitting that more options should become available for the public to really appreciate that. Some will prefer the classics like 30 Rock, and the coming Chrysler deck. I think the Empire State will always sit on top. But the Freedom Tower at the WTC could use a little something more.
Yes I agree with your points. All the tourism spread out makes things better for everyone.

Hopefully 2WTC will bring back the roof top observation at least. Do you know if 1WTC and 2WTC are directly connected underground? Make it easier for tourist to travel between the two?

I think the Met Life should have an outside deck/restaurant as well.

Top Of The Rock is my favorite view and I hope one day further back from there near Central Park another observation deck will be able to have a higher bigger view. I suppose Tower Fifth will be the closest we get at least in the next decade or so thought not much further back as I would have liked.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 3:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Silverstein said Tower 2 was supposed to have some type of even space at the top, and he's been pretty open about holding public events in the other WTC towers. It wouldn't surprise me if he put a restaurant up there as well.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 3:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 10:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 6:36 PM
New Yorker for life

Here's a better look at what the roof course entails. A little scary, but may be worth it to get to that top deck. No freebies here.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 7:40 PM

[QUOTE=NYguy;9007495]Here's a better look at what the roof course entails. A little scary, but may be worth it to get to that top deck. No freebies here.

Amazing find - thanks for posting! Officially added to the bucket list. I've done the Sydney Harbor Bridge Climb, so this will rank right up there with that. In Sydney, and appears here, you won't be able to bring a camera for obvious reasons, but you can be sure they'll hit you up for the $150 photo set on your way out! This was my group back in 2009!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 12:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLoopFromNYC View Post
Amazing find - thanks for posting! Officially added to the bucket list. I've done the Sydney Harbor Bridge Climb, so this will rank right up there with that. In Sydney, and appears here, you won't be able to bring a camera for obvious reasons, but you can be sure they'll hit you up for the $150 photo set on your way out! This was my group back in 2009!

Nice. I'm still on the fence about it. It's not the platform itself, it's the climb. It looks a little steep, and God forbid I look down, lol. Not enough strapping to make me feel completely safe.

But there are more than enough people who enjoy this sort of thing. And I'm sure there will be some photo they op they'll sale.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 12:11 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 3:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 2:46 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 3:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 25, 2020 at 3:30 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 2:15 AM
New Yorker for life

An old photo, but I don't remember seeing it this size...

https://www.bigcityaerials.com/

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 2:58 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 7:05 PM
I love NY!

I can’t find the image anymore, but that reminds me of the original WTC light show they use to do.

Edit- Here’s the image.

From @twins.wtc.nyc on Instagram

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 1:41 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
I can’t find the image anymore, but that reminds me of the original WTC light show they use to do.

Edit- Here’s the image.

From @twins.wtc.nyc on Instagram

I remember that from like the early 90's.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 2:31 AM
New Yorker for life

If you saw the VMAs, you saw this spectacle....

Video Link

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 31, 2020 at 2:52 AM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 11:12 AM

That was pretty much the coolest skyscraper-oriented musical performance I've ever seen. Amazing.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 3:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
That was pretty much the coolest skyscraper-oriented musical performance I've ever seen. Amazing.

I know. I must have watched a hundred times already.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 12:22 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEj9laGHITH/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEkTByeD3iH/

Quote:
Who caught @theweeknd 's soaring VMAs performance of "Blinding Lights" @edgenyc last night? No worries if you missed it; you can relive the epic show on @mtv’s YouTube channel.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...?adppopup=true

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture