HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
If this is Block 185, I love how different it’ll look in that area. I hope it’s Black. The podium is very industrial, has the look of a 1900s factory, a throwback to the old “office” if you will with the high rise portion representing a new era. Not unlike Austin itself. George, if you’re reading this.. I hope I interpreted it as intended.
I got excited too, but I see now George posted a comment saying "not 185." So that really has me wondering if this was a foregone plan of a previous building, or something new?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
I got excited too, but I see now George posted a comment saying "not 185." So that really has me wondering if this was a foregone plan of a previous building, or something new?
What!? That's awesome! So there's another great building coming to DT Austin. Let the guessing game begin.

Last edited by deerhoof; Dec 6, 2017 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:41 PM

All these unanswered questions; MLS, H2Q, 185, 6th and Guad, American Statesman site, when will Fairmont open...did I leve anthing out??

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:47 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
They said a couple sites. This is definitely one of them. It wouldn't shock me if they're talking about the thread on shaggytexas as well. It has 133,000+ views and 2600+ replies.
I agree that Shaggytexas is the other. In terms of Skyscraper forums, SSP is really the only one with a significant Austin presence. I'll check out the others occasionally but not much activity.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:51 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
All these unanswered questions; MLS, H2Q, 185, 6th and Guad, American Statesman site, when will Fairmont open...did I leve anthing out??
Your favorite building on Barton Creek.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 8:57 PM
Meh

I wonder if it's a redesign of Block 87. He mentioned they're working on that one also. This looks like it doesn't have much around it and the tower is clearly trying to avoid some kind of corridor or overlay. One of the designs for Block 87 also had the tower standing on columns above the podium much in the way this one does.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 9:02 PM

Great catch, Kevin. Best alternative.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I wonder if it's a redesign of Block 87. He mentioned they're working on that one also. This looks like it doesn't have much around it and the tower is clearly trying to avoid some kind of corridor or overlay. One of the designs for Block 87 also had the tower standing on columns above the podium much in the way this one does.
Interesting idea but notice how there's no balconies in the sketch. Why would they take those out? Maybe the sketch is an older design and the renderings are a more current version...?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Your favorite building on Barton Creek.
No...that one is already decided. But there is a plethora of questions still to be answered. If we finally do get the answers to up coming projects, we could witness the tallest and best building boom, and perhaps the last, in the history of Austin. The next phase of construction south of the Capitol could be a major game changer to an already impressive skyline. Any major construction boom after that would be north of the Capitol. GB is certainly good at carrot dangling.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Interesting idea but notice how there's no balconies in the sketch. Why would they take those out? Maybe the sketch is an older design and the renderings are a more current version...?
Wouldn't that be great!

Kevin, I think you're right about this being a likely candidate. Looking at the podium portion of those renderings along with the picture George posted, they seem to match up pretty similarly. Maybe he'll post something from another angle and you, me, and the other SSP detectives can figure it out

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 1:19 AM
World Traveler

Hey, so which one of you guys is actually George Blume? Speak up.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:22 AM

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:31 AM
Meh

Quote:

Well, I can't be George. I'm too busy being Kevin.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:50 AM

Not 185 apparently haha

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 5:07 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
No...that one is already decided. But there is a plethora of questions still to be answered. If we finally do get the answers to up coming projects, we could witness the tallest and best building boom, and perhaps the last, in the history of Austin. The next phase of construction south of the Capitol could be a major game changer to an already impressive skyline. Any major construction boom after that would be north of the Capitol. GB is certainly good at carrot dangling.
I know hehe, was hoping for some more of your artful critique of that building for the fun of it lol.

I am looking forward to 600 Guadalupe as well as what could be in store for the post office site and now my interest in Block 185 has peaked again.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Just the "a" and the "y"!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 5:54 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Awesome.

Quote:

Well, I can't be George. I'm too busy being Kevin.
Fair enough, haha.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 9:39 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
This makes sense actually, if you'll notice a minor detail in the black and white rendering: the building seems to imply the same CVC generated angle on the side of the building that we can't see by way of this angled (maybe) outdoor (also maybe) courtyard space.

Link

If it is the Episcopal Archives project, perhaps the lack of balconies in this rendering suggests a redesign to either be entirely office or to include more office besides what the Episcopal Church requires in the podium. But, all that said, the angled courtyard honestly could point to any lot that is affected by a CVC, and may thus just as likely be a new project altogether as it is to be the Episcopal Archives lot.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 8:19 PM

Not Block 87 either. This is a new building Could we be looking at a massive office on the post office site? How about the new development site that will raze The Belmont and one of those banks?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
Not Block 87 either. This is a new building Could we be looking at a massive office on the post office site? How about the new development site that will raze The Belmont and one of those banks?
It could also be on the site of a stale project, i.e. WPP. But the design does seem to indicate that it's on a site with a CVC.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin