HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 3:43 AM

Was in town for the game against Toronto. Good to see another emphatic win, although the Argos are not proving to be much of a test this year.

Getting in to the area and getting out were quite easy. I'm glad the sponsor village outside the stadium near Gate 2 caught on. We found the number and scale of in-game promotions to be about right. e.g. A t-shirt cannon fired out a whole bunch of shirts. At an Argos game, if you are "lucky" to have a maniacally grinning fan entertainer in your section they will throw one shirt. (period).

One thing I am curious about though; what is the thinking behind the "Pinnacle Club"? Yes, it is nice to have padded seats while watching the game and nice to have a climate-controlled area to retreat to if it is really hot or cold, but $40 extra per seat and an "opportunity" to purchase food? OK, there were free chicken bites and spring rolls after the game but that is not what I tend to pay $40/head for. I could understand if it was a "special" seating area, like at Tim Hortons Field where there are a few rows of seats at a really nice height that access a lounge with a view of the field. However, every seat in the east lower bowl between the 35's? I don't think the old "West side sucks" cheers will be reappearing.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 3:18 PM

^They're really popular corporate seats as you can take entertain people in the club before and after the games without mixing with the regular swine. Also it has its own entrance. The concourses can be a nightmare during halftime so it's nice to be able to have some space to grab a drink and breathe. Personally, I like to go to the tailgate plaza at halftime – it's a fantastic addition.

"VIP" tickets and many events generally don't give you much bonus aside form the status of saying you're in a VIP section. I'd rather take someone to the new standing areas in the north end zone for a real CFL experience, but I can definitely see the attraction to the Club for lots of people.

--

On the in-game experience – It is quite good, but I find the new in-game announcer to be sooooooo boring and dull. Actually a step down from the woman who was doing it before, which is shocking that that's even possible. It can't be that hard to find someone that can at least pretend to be excited to be there and smile.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 3:31 PM

^ I guess the Pinnacle Club reflects expectations these days... if you're buying the good seats it isn't enough just to have a good view, you need some kind of air of refinement and exclusivity to sell.

I'm an upper deck man myself. It fits my joe lunchpail budget but I really do find the views to be just great from up there. I've sat all over the stadium and I remain convinced that the best views come from the lower part of the upper deck, just below the entrances. The people with seats in that area have one of the best ticket deals to be had anywhere in Canadian sports IMO.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
FWIW Kyle Walters has done a good
To be brutally honest is there is any single person in the Bomber organization that currently needs to be shown the door it is Walters.

We can all agree something on the coaching side needs to change regardless of who exactly is your fall guy there. My understanding on how things operate is O'Shea is the point person responsible for naming who he wants as coaches and Walters in turns in suppose to hold O'Shea accountable, and when needed enforce that either O'Shea replaces a specific positional coach and gets the door himself.

That said as we are on the verge on moving into the era of a front management salary cap it is going to be a lot harder to have a coach on a long term contract and fire them and carry that salary on your books for seasons to come.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
One thing I am curious about though; what is the thinking behind the "Pinnacle Club"?
Separate entrance before the game with a typically short line.

Access to dedicated food and beer vendors and washrooms (shorter lines all around).

Access to the private lounge to mingle with similar high rollers, often business folks.

Invites to special events (ie come meet the coach, etc).

Access to premium parking locations.

--

Most pro sports teams have similar programs. I know the Bombers had it even at their old stadium with fewer perks but used to promote it as an area where the retired players would come and sit with the fans. Not sure that still happens though.

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I remain convinced that the best views come from the lower part of the upper deck, just below the entrances.
I am convinced too. I had an opportunity to join someone else in the lower bowl seats for a game and didn't enjoy the viewing experience as much. Sure you are closer to the action but I find the upper deck height gives you a good chance to see the full play happen, not just the parts closest to your seats. It is also fairly telling that since moving to IGF only the obstructed view front row has changed up in my section and only after the first season. I keep trying to get an extra seat in the front row as the current holders never come to games and always resell their tickets on StubHub but no luck at all and there is no other seats available below the entrance.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 8:50 PM

Upper bowl lower section is definitely the best. I'm in 213 row 2. 3rd section in from the south east corner. Section is angled in so we get a great view of the field. It's covered. Sun helps in winter.

Oh... it's also the cheapest ticket price.

Our Bomber season tickets (for the whole season) are the are cheaper then going to two games in our P5 Jets seats.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 3:08 PM

Hey Winnipeg friends!

We planning on attending the Banjo Bowl and we are looking for recommendations for transport to IGF. Several years ago we took a riverboat, which was awesome, but I do not believe that is available this year. I have a car and don't mind reasonably long walks. We re staying at the Mere.

Thanks and Go Riders!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 3:16 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Hey Winnipeg friends!

We planning on attending the Banjo Bowl and we are looking for recommendations for transport to IGF. Several years ago we took a riverboat, which was awesome, but I do not believe that is available this year. I have a car and don't mind reasonably long walks. We re staying at the Mere.

Thanks and Go Riders!
If you're staying at the Mere, definitely the best option is Winnipeg Transit. You can catch a 160 (http://winnipegtransit.com/en/routes/160) bus from Graham at Fort, eastbound (or any other eastbound spot on Graham). You pay regular transit fare to get to the stadium, and the ride on the 160 home is free.

You can either walk (10 - 15 minutes) to Graham and Fort (take in the ridiculousness that is Portage and Main) or hop on a bus at City Hall to get you there.

Edit: Forgot to add, Riders suck

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 3:18 PM

My friend is a corp sponsor and has a loge box. So we generally just hang out in there and hit up Pinnacle before/after from time to time. Its nice to relax in after the game to grab an extra drink or two but I was there a couple games ago (super hot night) and it sure didnt feel Air Conditioned! It was warmer inside there.

I also love lower part of upper bowl. But the Loge is awesome. If I could afford that, I'd do it. I'd include a few bar stools that could pull out of the counter-area for guests (you have four seats around a small table).

Also, the service is hit or miss. Last year you could order from an app on your phone but this year they have a table tent with buttons (Canadian Brewhouse use the same thing) and at this particular game, no server ever came. No big deal for most of us as there is a beer kiosk steps away but we had some elderly people in there and they liked the comfort of a server.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 2:37 PM

I thought we had a trash talk thread for Bomber & Rider fans in advance of the LDC and Banjo Bowl. I can't find it so maybe we need to post here?

🏈I admit I am a little concerned about all the travelling Bomber fans embarrassing us at Mosaic this weekend. They may drown us out with their boos (and booze) when the Bombers are on offence.🏈

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 9:48 PM

Any predictions on the LDC?

Seems like the teams are headed in different directions right now, but that can all change in one play in a tight game. The Riders defence has been dominant recently, but our offence still struggles to put it in the endzone. 23-17 in favour of the Riders is my prediction.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 10:38 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Any predictions on the LDC?

Seems like the teams are headed in different directions right now, but that can all change in one play in a tight game. The Riders defence has been dominant recently, but our offence still struggles to put it in the endzone. 23-17 in favour of the Riders is my prediction.
58-3 for the Bombers.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 10:46 PM

^ I admire your optimism

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 3:24 PM

I know this is the Bomber thread, but we were talking about this – the Goldeyes aren't making the playoffs this year, but sold out their game last night.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 4:56 AM
BANNED

They should fold the team, and then after a season or two with no CFL team, grant True North an expansion team. I remember when the Blue Bombers were a proud franchise, not a complete joke.

How can you go 28 seasons without a Grey Cup in a league that had 8 teams most of that time?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 2:18 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
They should fold the team, and then after a season or two with no CFL team, grant True North an expansion team. I remember when the Blue Bombers were a proud franchise, not a complete joke.

How can you go 28 seasons without a Grey Cup in a league that had 8 teams most of that time?
While sharing your frustration, it’s not that hard ... no one asks this about divisions in the NHL etc., e.g. the Blue Jays have one first place AL East finish since 1993, even though it’s had 5 teams through much of that time. In the 25 years of the six-team NHL, the Rangers, Bruins and Black Hawks won one Stanley Cup between them.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 3:27 PM
BANNED

Prediction.....Saskatchewan 37 Winnipeg 19

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 9:58 PM
BANNED

Bombers lose again. Fold the team and let TNSE win an expansion team.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 10:20 PM

Very disappointing. Suggest they pull Nichols.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 10:25 PM
Starring as himself

That was rather discouraging!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan