HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 11:04 PM
World Machine

Sorry there was no update this weekend like I promised. I got really caught up with friends and just didn't have time for it. It was a fun weekend though.

However, I am planning on an update tomorrow, and want to get another out on Wednesday. I'm on vacation all next week, so there won't be any updates.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 12:22 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Just make a nice long list before you leave for vacation.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 11:15 PM
World Machine

Guys, I really hate to do it, but I got to put the city on-hold for now. I apologize, but it's simply not a priority at this time, and between school finishing up and locking in a summer internship, there is just hardly any time to spare.

I will continue to work on the city at a later date. I'm banking on May as the return timeframe where I will pick up exactly where I left off (with the infastructure).

I'm currently interviewing with a number of potentials for an internship. I was planning on spending my summer with Bear Stearns, but (for obvious reasons) that is no longer the case. Right now, in addition to scouting for new jobs, I'm seeing whether or not my original contract with Bear can carry over into JP Morgan, but they've been sparse with a reply. I'm also interviewing with Goldman Sachs, Ernst & Young, and Citigroup, and my career department is looking into a possible landing with Vornado, which would be fantastic. Vornado of course is a NYC based development/realty trust firm. So for me, that would be a homerun.

As for Sprainbrook, to be continued...................

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 2:55 AM
Registered Lurker

Sounds like your career is really taking off. Good luck to you Dac! That goes without say, that other things like careers, friends and family come before 3d modeling.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 4:47 AM
Desert Dweller

VORNANDO!? Woahh! Good luck! Hope you land a job with one of those hugo companies! Although I'll miss Sprainbrook for a while!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 11:00 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Sounds like your career is really taking off. Good luck to you Dac!
Thank you Peter, I appreciate it. I'm for now just looking to get a taste of the industry and others that relate to my main ambition in real estate development and investments. I view this as a building block for what it to come, and I'm really looking foward to taking the plunge and getting started.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 11:02 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
VORNANDO!? Woahh! Good luck! Hope you land a job with one of those hugo companies! Although I'll miss Sprainbrook for a while!
Yeah, Vornado is a model of what I want my company to be, only I intend mine to be larger and to intertwine with different areas of business. If I can land a contract with them, that'll be where you'll find me this summer.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 6:41 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

What happened? He's been gone for more than a week. Where are you Dac?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 10:24 PM
Registered Lurker

Dac has put the city on hold until, possibly, May. He is busy with school and building his career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Guys, I really hate to do it, but I got to put the city on-hold for now. I apologize, but it's simply not a priority at this time, and between school finishing up and locking in a summer internship, there is just hardly any time to spare.

I will continue to work on the city at a later date. I'm banking on May as the return timeframe where I will pick up exactly where I left off (with the infastructure).

I'm currently interviewing with a number of potentials for an internship. I was planning on spending my summer with Bear Stearns, but (for obvious reasons) that is no longer the case. Right now, in addition to scouting for new jobs, I'm seeing whether or not my original contract with Bear can carry over into JP Morgan, but they've been sparse with a reply. I'm also interviewing with Goldman Sachs, Ernst & Young, and Citigroup, and my career department is looking into a possible landing with Vornado, which would be fantastic. Vornado of course is a NYC based development/realty trust firm. So for me, that would be a homerun.

As for Sprainbrook, to be continued...................

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 12:39 AM

Well good for him! I've just come from working my whole summer and when back my enthusiasm for SU urbanism hasnt declined a bit.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 3:54 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalextropy View Post
Well good for him! I've just come from working my whole summer and when back my enthusiasm for SU urbanism hasnt declined a bit.
Thank you vertical! Good to see you've returned to the forum.

Just to give you guys a little update on my life; sadly I got an e-mail this morning from my school's career department stating that Vornado does not accept internships from under-graduate students. It wasn't the greatest news, but on the positive side they went on to say that they are glad to see I am interested and to contact them in my junior year (which is in 2009).

I'm glad I've established a connection with them for now. Networking is important. So we'll see what the other options bring. I've decided to stay away from JP Morgan and Citigroup frankly because both those companies won't give me the best value in time and learning the trick of the trade. Not to mention Citi has just cut its investments in-half. Don't get me wrong, they are both excellent companies, but with what's going on right now, both in the economy and in the industry, it's just not practical.

Goldman however seems to be riding out the storm well, so they are a good choice. They are located right in Lower Manhattan, so for me that is just a short stroll.

I'll keep you guys updated. Sprainbrook is a go for May, no doubt.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2008, 8:43 PM
World Machine

Just a little update on Sprainbrook today:

Since it's my 'easy day' I spent a couple hours this afternoon working on the city, but on blocks. What I mean is, I making one block at a time (detailed), and then will eventually paste them all together and place them on the map.

So in a broad sense, the city's map will look different comes May. The more I looked at the bridges, the more turned off I got, so I've decided to make everything in different files, and then paste them together as one. This'll allow more detail, and a more realistic looking city in all aspects. However, it'll also mean longer time between updates, as a block does take long to make.

So come May I'll show you guys the new map and the 1st block. I finished the first building today and was happy on how it came out. It of course is a glass box.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 2:28 AM

Dac, glad to see you back.
Networking is REALLY important. I've spent my summer working at a marketing company but also establishing some contacts with international realtors. South America is a bargain for investors and I've come to meet a couple of businessmen to capitalize on that. There's also a big Argentine equity group, Consultatio, which I have SOME contacts with. They build all the major scrapers and gated communities down here, but I'll need to advance in my studies more, and specially do a year out in America.
Good to see that you're beggining to build up on your career!
I'll be expecting updates in May for Sprainbrook!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 6:21 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalextropy View Post
Dac, glad to see you back.
Networking is REALLY important. I've spent my summer working at a marketing company but also establishing some contacts with international realtors. South America is a bargain for investors and I've come to meet a couple of businessmen to capitalize on that. There's also a big Argentine equity group, Consultatio, which I have SOME contacts with. They build all the major scrapers and gated communities down here, but I'll need to advance in my studies more, and specially do a year out in America.
Good to see that you're beggining to build up on your career!
I'll be expecting updates in May for Sprainbrook!
Thank you. Glad to hear to you too are begining the network into the business world/ real estate. It sounds like you found a very solid connection.

Yeah, you should without a doubt try to travel and study. I'm actually taking a semester next year in Italy, which I'm looking foward too. I also want to try to get to Hong Kong before my college days or over. I love to travel and see how business is done in other countries. After all, business and real estate are more international then ever.

If you do decide to come to the States, you'd do yourself the greatest favor to come to New York. Nowhere else will offer you the best crash-course in business in real estate. It is the World's capitol of both areas.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 10:41 PM
World Machine

If you guys are interested, I can post the work I did on Sprainbrook last Sunday? Or do you just want to wait? Up to you.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 10:43 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Is it a lot of work?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 11:09 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
Is it a lot of work?
A lot of work went into it, but it's not like a large spread of buildings, just 2 1/2 lots. I think it looks good, but if I'm to continue later next month, I guess it would make sense to get your opinions now.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 11:20 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

It'd be great to see work now. You haven't updated in a while so I'd like to see something new.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 11:47 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
It'd be great to see work now. You haven't updated in a while so I'd like to see something new.
I think I'll post an update/teaser over the weekend. Over the weekend I'll have time to add a few details that are lacking right now.

The city is currently just five buildings (2 lowrises and 3 highrises). Think of the current format like Peter's Sabal Island; just blocks pasted together. Once, down the road, I get a good amount of blocks together, I'll paste that onto a landscape. The main file is already slowing up so I'm deleting some old files to make some space. I can't stand when sketch-up lags.

Here is just a teaser, nothing much....>>>>>

That brick building was basically my entire Sunday afternoon.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 11:56 PM

It looks really good! very nice job. cant wait for more.

how big are those windows 'cuz it seems like there are way too many.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup