HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Appreciate the informed response on the local situation. I do, however, still think people who pay a lot in taxes and not use the services should be thanked. You make a good point about community involvement etc., but at the end of the day the dollar is king. If a parent is saving the school district 7-10k a year by not using their services while paying more into the district than most people, that's a win for everyone involved.
While I can't speak for how it works in PA I have noticed this doesn't always work out this way. The families sending kids to private schools tend to be against not only additional taxes for public schools but can even fight to try and lower the current taxes. The argument is why should they have to pay higher taxes for schools they don't care about. I have heard many people say as such in the Las Vegas metro. It turns into a vicious cycle. It all comes down to how good the private schools are the the public schools get ignored and starved.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 1:05 AM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallagasse View Post
While I can't speak for how it works in PA I have noticed this doesn't always work out this way. The families sending kids to private schools tend to be against not only additional taxes for public schools but can even fight to try and lower the current taxes. The argument is why should they have to pay higher taxes for schools they don't care about. I have heard many people say as such in the Las Vegas metro. It turns into a vicious cycle. It all comes down to how good the private schools are the the public schools get ignored and starved.
I mean, they can complain all they want, but if they want to continue living in their house, they have to pay their taxes...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad9 View Post
Philly has some of the most backward city council-members in the country.
NYC says hold my beer...

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I mean, they can complain all they want, but if they want to continue living in their house, they have to pay their taxes...
Those with money don't just complain but have the power and resources to create change. Again I don't know how things work in PA but at least in NV and WA funding for public schools can be on the ballet. That is where the wealthy residents not using the public schools not only directly vote against funding levels the public schools need and hence the taxes supporting that funding. Even more important is the funding of the against campaign towards those ballot initiatives. They add in political power at local and state levels controlling funding for public schools. The public schools then get starved for the funds they need.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 7:10 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallagasse View Post
Those with money don't just complain but have the power and resources to create change. Again I don't know how things work in PA but at least in NV and WA funding for public schools can be on the ballet. That is where the wealthy residents not using the public schools not only directly vote against funding levels the public schools need and hence the taxes supporting that funding. Even more important is the funding of the against campaign towards those ballot initiatives. They add in political power at local and state levels controlling funding for public schools. The public schools then get starved for the funds they need.
Yeah, but I mean who the hell likes taxes? Also, I don't think some rich person with a 1.5 million dollar house is going to spend too much money campaigning to save a couple of thousand dollars a year in property taxes.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions