HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Alright, according to SSP Detroit is currently building 5 buildings over 9 stories. Dubai is building 92 buildings over 9 stories.

So no, they are *literally* not building nothing, but it's damn close to it, and it's really glaring comparing the two cities.

Most cities in the US would die to be able to pick a few skyscrapers from Dubai and plop them down in their cities. Lets all be real.
Skyscrapers mean next to nothing in isolation. Historically, they sprouted up in places that had extreme land pressures. New York and Chicago didn't decide to just start building tall buildings because they looked cool. They were built out of necessity, and were constructed in the larger context of their urban environments. Cities like Dubai build skyscrapers for the sake of building skyscrapers. They're novelty items to be gawked at, and they often exist next to basically nothing but empty desert or low rise development. They make a mockery of the whole point of skyscraper development in the first place.

And for all the people citing the 'old city' as the real urban Debai, it is entirely separated from the new skyscrapers, and there is basically nothing of note connecting the two areas. I don't like Dubai because it's fake and gimmicky. It's Vegas without the sin. An Arab Mississagua. Give me a real city like Detroit any day.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Skyscrapers mean next to nothing in isolation. Historically, they sprouted up in places that had extreme land pressures. New York and Chicago didn't decide to just start building tall buildings because they looked cool. They were built out of necessity, and were constructed in the larger context of their urban environments.
Untrue. . . Chicago is built on a prairie at the shores of an inland sea. . . there are no necessitating reasons - other than to make money - which required developers to build up. . .

Quote:
Cities like Dubai build skyscrapers for the sake of building skyscrapers. They're novelty items to be gawked at, and they often exist next to basically nothing but empty desert or low rise development. They make a mockery of the whole point of skyscraper development in the first place.
Dubai is building and will continue to build it's urban environment as it sees fit. . . that you can't get your head around these facts doesn't make it any less so. . . you see a "mockery" while others see a booming metropolis. . .

Quote:
And for all the people citing the 'old city' as the real urban Debai, it is entirely separated from the new skyscrapers, and there is basically nothing of note connecting the two areas. I don't like Dubai because it's fake and gimmicky. It's Vegas without the sin. An Arab Mississagua. Give me a real city like Detroit any day.
Deira and Bur Dubai - the older parts of Dubai are connected by uninterrupted urban development, roads and rail to the new skyscrapers along SZR and the Marina. . . Vegas without the sin? I think the only thing you'll find hard to do there is gamble. . . an Arab Mississaugua? No. . . there's nothing similar at all. . . trust me. . . I've been to both. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
I could be living in freaking Antarctica and I should be able to say whatever the hell I want about Dubai, bash it, praise it, whatever. It has fuck all to do with where I happen to live.
Welcome to the conversation. . . did you have a point?

. . .

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 10:56 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post

I could be living in freaking Antarctica and I should be able to say whatever the hell I want about Dubai, bash it, praise it, whatever. It has fuck all to do with where I happen to live.
Except you don't. Constructive criticism sure but "bashing" isn't welcome here and that sort of mentality has driven a lot of people away from this forum..who happen to be in places that are less than "urban". It went from a fairly amicable group of people from all Over regardless of their built environment to an echo chamber intolerant of anything that doesn't jive with the group think.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 11:06 PM

But apparently bashing a city that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread, and doing so repeatedly and in an obviously trolling way is ok? By a mod no less.

I mean The North One is annoying as all hell but I wouldn't respond to his antics by turning around and bashing Detroit just because he happens to live there. That's the definition of city-vs-city trolling.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Skyscrapers mean next to nothing in isolation. Historically, they sprouted up in places that had extreme land pressures. New York and Chicago didn't decide to just start building tall buildings because they looked cool. They were built out of necessity, and were constructed in the larger context of their urban environments. Cities like Dubai build skyscrapers for the sake of building skyscrapers. They're novelty items to be gawked at, and they often exist next to basically nothing but empty desert or low rise development. They make a mockery of the whole point of skyscraper development in the first place.

Dubai doesn't build skyscrapers because of constraints of cities like NYC, true. But tell me this, would Dubai be as world famous as it is if it was just low-rise suburban developments instead of skyscrapers?

I think we all know the answer. Their skyscrapers help create demand. If there were no skyscrapers the city would look entirely different, both in its actual appearance and the allure of the city for investment and tourism.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post

Most cities in the US would die to be able to pick a few skyscrapers from Dubai and plop them down in their cities. Lets all be real.
No I would not want a single tacky monstrosity that exists in Dubai in my "pathetic" home town, that's kind of the whole point.

I'll gladly steal some chunks out of Back Bay or Tribeca though.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions