HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 10:17 PM

I love it. Its slightly similar to the smurfit-stone building for obvious reasons. love it, though. Its my favorite of the upcoming new york buildings

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 11:07 PM

That is one kick ass design to say the least.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 11:08 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

its nice i dont love it but i really like it
i also think its the best tower outta the whole WTC towers complex

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 11:13 PM

Its the best piece of architecture at the WTC IMO but it just doesn't work with the other towers. It'd be better off somewhere else.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 5:21 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGarcia View Post
Its the best piece of architecture at the WTC IMO but it just doesn't work with the other towers. It'd be better off somewhere else.
I'm beginning to feel the same way. At first the novelty of Foster's design was blinding, but now it seems obvious to me that the tower does not fit in with the rest of the complex. I'll still be happy to see it built though.

-Greek Proverb

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 5:25 AM
New Yorker for life

I tell you one thing though, whether it fits in or not, I'm just happy it's being built! It's amazing that in a few years we've gone from hoping that something tall, even one tall tower got built at ground zero to dismissing supertalls as maybe being a little too flashy. We are becoming spoiled. Just wait until the whole Midtown thing gets rolling....

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 5:35 AM
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's amazing that in a few years we've gone from hoping that something tall, even one tall tower got built at ground zero to dismissing supertalls as maybe being a little too flashy. We are becoming spoiled. Just wait until the whole Midtown thing gets rolling....
Hmm, I never thought of it that way.

Mid-town will be no less than transformed.

-Greek Proverb

Old Posted Nov 7, 2010, 2:26 AM
Go 2WTC!

Cool Ah..love

What a wonderful building. However, it's not expected to reach ground level until late 2011, and after that, it could be built to only 5 or 6 levels if funds are not found. WE MUST SAVE 2WTC!!!!!!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2010, 8:56 AM

I don't doubt the building will get funded. Everybody wants to see this along with the other buildings get built. There's no time time to spare. This will restore all the office space that was lost on 9/11 and when I mean lost, I mean all the space that was practically in use before that horrible day.

@STR, I appreciate your efforts for making a 4D model of the how the site will look.

I also hope the 5th Tower gets constructed.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2010, 3:35 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2WTC View Post
What a wonderful building. However, it's not expected to reach ground level until late 2011, and after that, it could be built to only 5 or 6 levels if funds are not found. WE MUST SAVE 2WTC!!!!!!
Well, hopefully the business cycle will finally hit the upside just about the time construction reaches that point. Then we'll suddenly see a flurry of stories about the shortage of Class A rental space in lower Manhattan.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 2:50 PM

This Building will just look great, it's very creative

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 5:51 PM
Twin Towers crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crolo View Post
This Building will just look great, it's very creative
Yes, this design is awesome. It is something new but still isn't so modern that it wouldn't look good with the rest of NY.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2011, 2:53 AM

I can see how the architecture of this thing can make it either stand out on its own or make a great part of a better whole; but I cannot grasp how anyone can just flatly say that 200G doesn't belong there.
Taking this as an element of the overall complex, let me show you how I perceive this tower as a visual continuum between the 150 & 175G block to 1WTC:

150: Simple (but not overly so) and serene geometry is featured in homage to Yamasaki-san's original Twins. The facade will be remarkable in its humility.
175: Continuation of geometric simplicity yields to more aesthetic facades and the I-beamish quad spires.
200: The fourfold concept is carried over to the diamonds. The overall geometry of the structure grows in complexity with a subtlety that may be unmatched in modern skyscraper design...at least in this Hemisphere.
WTC: The intricate Spire/beacon/telecom ring carries over from the open-air top of 200G. All other design elements, which are making themselves ever more visible with time, should bring everything together.

ALso, if you think about it, we are actually seeing two sets of supertalls, with the Calatrava hub as a frame of reference. 200G and 1WTC look to me like a bride and groom posing for their first photo. 150/175G, especially with the latter's fairly radical design change, look almost twinnish, but aren't so...It's hard to describe; but the two of them now look more like each other.

I can see the WTC Grand Scale Vision both ways.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2011, 11:53 PM

I know its just a model, but this tower appears much shorter in relation to 1WTC in the model than on skyscraper pages. On the diagram it appears to be about the same height, minus the spire of course.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 2:32 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.wsj.com/articles/wanted-i...wer-1446569760

Wanted: Immigrant Funds to Build Final World Trade Center Tower
Silverstein Properties markets EB-5 visa program in China, aiming to raise about $500 million

By ELIOT BROWN
Nov. 3, 2015

Quote:
To help finance construction of the final office tower to go up at the World Trade Center site, its developer is turning to aspiring immigrants.

Silverstein Properties Inc. recently began a marketing push in China seeking investors to put in $500,000 apiece for 2 World Trade Center through the federal EB-5 visa program, which gives green cards to foreigners who invest in certain job-creating businesses.

Silverstein’s goal is to raise about $500 million in low-cost financing for the lower Manhattan tower, according to marketing materials.

The developer is turning to the program for 2 World Trade Center, he added, because the tax-exempt financing that was critical for the completion of the other World Trade Center towers was used up building them.

“In the absence of tax-free Liberty Bonds,” he said, “EB-5 is key to completing the rebuilding.”

Silverstein is seeking to start the 1,270-foot-tall 2 World Trade now that it is negotiating a lease with 21st Century Fox and News Corp to occupy more than half the 2.8 million square foot tower. News Corp is the parent company of The Wall Street Journal, which would move to the tower.

.....Whatever happens with the program, Silverstein still would need to piece together other sources of financing for the tower. The company is expecting to finance construction with about $2 billion in bank debt, according to the advertising materials in China. It also needs hundreds of millions of dollars in equity, and it is out seeking partners, according to several people familiar with the financing.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 10:43 AM

Location: Born and raised Clevelander, former Atlantan and Dallasite, and now 'probational' New Yorker, ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGarcia View Post

I think I'm in the minority for not being in love with this one. Perhaps it's exactly what JMGarcia points out ...it doesn't fit in with the rest. Poor composition overall.

or perhaps it's because the top diamond doesn't get finished with a similar facade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
The current renderings with that gap are very unsettling and disappointing IMO for what it could be. Like looking at a sports car with the nose ripped off

Forgive me for not finding anything in the search and reading all 80 pages but why is the top diamond not finished like the rest? Exhaust? Cranes? Isn't there anyway clever to circumvent that/those necessity(ies) to 'finish' the building properly? Like stagger the glass to vent but still look identical from afar.

www.UrbanImpressionist.com ______ Twitter: @UrbanImpress ______ UrbanImpressionist on Facebook______ UrbanImpressionist on Youtube

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 1:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpressionist View Post

I think I'm in the minority for not being in love with this one.

Forgive me for not finding anything in the search and reading all 80 pages but why is the top diamond not finished like the rest? Exhaust? Cranes? Isn't there anyway clever to circumvent that/those necessity(ies) to 'finish' the building properly?

Doesn't matter. If you don't like it, you don't like it. That's allowed. But you are not forgiven for not bothering to try and read anything.
For more specifics though, you'd best voice your concerns here...
http://www.fosterandpartners.com/Contact/Address.aspx

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 5:29 AM

Location: Born and raised Clevelander, former Atlantan and Dallasite, and now 'probational' New Yorker, ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Doesn't matter. If you don't like it, you don't like it. That's allowed. But you are not forgiven for not bothering to try and read anything.
For more specifics though, you'd best voice your concerns here...
http://www.fosterandpartners.com/Contact/Address.aspx
NYguy that's fair. Now I've read. However, the only subjects there were the concerns over the PA getting the site excavated in time to avoid paying daily $300k fines, some funny back and forth with 'Aluminum,' and discussion of the 'Survivor Stairs.'

Unless I missed it; I saw no discussion of the design aspect I inquired about. Thank you for posting the link but I'll pass. Years ago I actually (quite politely) wrote SOM and Kenneth Snelson regarding pleading to have the broadcasting crown's arrangement on One WTC to be considered in a squared and tapered fashion instead and never received a reply. So I'm guessing writing Foster would be a waste of time as well. I'm not an architect, but I do have years of education and experience in industrial design (and frequently comingled with architect students while in college) so I understand quite well form and factor, cohesiveness, and juxtopositon (i.e. a beautiful rectilinear building; topped by a circular crown with no blending transition = poor design from my schooling/experience).

I hope you realize that I am not here to flame; but to have an intellectually stimulating conversation about the design and a willingness to understand any reasoning behind why the design is as it is (and perhaps change my mind about this building as I am very reasonable man).

So if anyone knows why the gap is included in the upper diamond and would be so kind as to reply here and educate me I would be greatly appreciative. If not I will assume no one knows why or doesn't care and I'll just go on enjoying my life in an imperfect world

www.UrbanImpressionist.com ______ Twitter: @UrbanImpress ______ UrbanImpressionist on Facebook______ UrbanImpressionist on Youtube

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 10:50 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
NYguy that's fair. Now I've read. However, the only subjects there were the concerns over the PA getting the site excavated in time to avoid paying daily $300k fines, some funny back and forth with 'Aluminum,' and discussion of the 'Survivor Stairs.'

Unless I missed it; I saw no discussion of the design aspect I inquired about. Thank you for posting the link but I'll pass. Years ago I actually (quite politely) wrote SOM and Kenneth Snelson regarding pleading to have the broadcasting crown's arrangement on One WTC to be considered in a squared and tapered fashion instead and never received a reply. So I'm guessing writing Foster would be a waste of time as well.
Maybe you haven't read as well, but it hardly matters. If you don't want to or can't get what you are looking for from the source, I don't know why you would bother here. Repeating the same questions here aren't going to help. My only other suggestion to you is to get down to 7 WTC, wait for Larry Silverstein, and insist on an explanation of Norman Foster's design.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 1:49 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
... intellectually stimulating conversation about the design and a willingness to understand any reasoning behind why the design is as it is (and perhaps change my mind about this building as I am very reasonable man).
Dear UrbanImpressionist,

First of all, let me welcome you to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time on SkyscraperPage. There are thousands of pages to fulfil your love of skyscrapers.

I appreciate your desire to spark thoughtful conversation about design. Many others have tried to do the same in these threads only to learn the sad truth about their nature. The New York threads have been moderated to death and watered down so far, that they have been diluted to nothing more than Oooohs and Ahhhs about the latest pictures. Saying anything else will be construed as off topic. Trying to engage other forumers in a conversation about the building will enrage the powers that be. They will label you a troublemaker and warn you to cease asking questions.

Fear not, many other threads on this site are much friendlier and encourage healthy debate about design, impact on the environment, overall critiques of the projects and so forth.

In the mean time, I suggest you join the lockstep of the rest of us watching the new World Trade Center complex in the silent awe they expect. That is the only acceptable way of following the New York threads...

...Oh, except the occasional Ooooh and Awwww at a picture update.

Yours Sincerely,

Traynor

Last edited by Traynor; Apr 8, 2011 at 4:54 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction