HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Shoppers. In Regina, all the Shoppers now have groceries including some meat and produce. Maybe that will happen in Evergreen.
Yeah that would be perfect there but there's already a Shoppers down the road so I don't know if they'd build another. In fact every mid sized grocery chain that I can think of has a presence in the area so I don't know what they could put in there, all I know is something is sorely needed. Even a 7/11 with a gas bar would better than what we have now.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryceyourself View Post
Yeah that would be perfect there but there's already a Shoppers down the road so I don't know if they'd build another. In fact every mid sized grocery chain that I can think of has a presence in the area so I don't know what they could put in there, all I know is something is sorely needed. Even a 7/11 with a gas bar would better than what we have now.
Shoppers is shown on the map on Block TT as already going in.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 2:40 PM

There was an open house last night regarding a rezoning for a proposed mixed use development at Cumberland and 8th. It would feature 9 storeys of retail, office and residential.

Councilor Block posted a picture of the rendering on her Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/CynthiaBlockSk?r...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 3:05 PM

Regarding the Cumberland and 8th development shown above, the Original Joe's adjacent to this building is slated to move into the ground floor of the new building (note the corner with the patio). The existing OJ's building would then be demolished after they occupy the new space.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 3:18 PM

This is fantastic news....when this location was going through its recent redevelopment and upgrade, I was lamenting the fact they were not taking the opportunity to add some density and residential along the BRT. This is excellent for this area!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 3:25 PM

Arena convention centre

When I was driving by the Sears end of the Midtown Mall I was wondering again about the Toys'r'us location for an arena convention centre. That lot may be large enough for a well designed arena, but not enough space for convention centre.

Then I thought, the empty lot behind and around the Scotiabank Theatre might be large enough for convention space and could be connected with skywalk/meeting space. Not sure if it is an option, but perhaps even the theatre space could be used(when needed during the day for meeting space) for larger conventions?

I think the South Downtown is a great option for an arena development, with Remai, Persephone, Riverlanding and Farmers Market all so close....it's just space is so limited. The only other feasible option to me is the North Downtown. The lot across from current TCU Place would be my preference over city yards, as I don't see the need to develop another "additional entertainment district" that could take away from our existing vibrant downtown restaurants, pubs, shops.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskE30 View Post
There was an open house last night regarding a rezoning for a proposed mixed use development at Cumberland and 8th. It would feature 9 storeys of retail, office and residential.

Councilor Block posted a picture of the rendering on her Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/CynthiaBlockSk?r...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

[IMG][/IMG]
This is definitely something that should become common along 8th street. Great if it moves forward.

I'm assuming the façade facing 8th St. is the one with "business" on the front?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Regarding the Cumberland and 8th development shown above, the Original Joe's adjacent to this building is slated to move into the ground floor of the new building (note the corner with the patio). The existing OJ's building would then be demolished after they occupy the new space.
Glad to see mixed-use and density.... but blah.... is this another Baydo-esque “in-house” design? Do we only have 5 materials and a half dozen colours in Saskatchewan? I’ve seen enough of that charcoal grey slate for a lifetime.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 2:00 PM

I just can’t imagine them spending the costs in concrete and soundproof windows to actually make a building right next to 8th street traffic enjoyable. I lived on Portage Ave in Winnipeg which is a similar atmosphere, and going on to my balcony was just for nice pics of Portage, and never to enjoy how loud it was out there haha. This would be a wild horizontal step if they do decide to build something more expensive psf right on 8th - those drawings and an open house at a grocery store sure don’t entice me to “move your grandma or college kid here” though lol.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 4:12 PM

This is exactly the type of development that is happening in other cities along their rapid transit routes (whether that be bus or rail - see Calgary builds along their line).

It makes total sense to increase density close to amenities and public transit. I agree....design is pretty crappy...but the idea/concept makes perfect sense to me and hope it is successful enough to prompt more similar development.

This type of development would also make people like Mr. Naylor in Varstiy View very happy, as development would not be in his "neighborhood".

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
This is exactly the type of development that is happening in other cities along their rapid transit routes (whether that be bus or rail - see Calgary builds along their line).

It makes total sense to increase density close to amenities and public transit. I agree....design is pretty crappy...but the idea/concept makes perfect sense to me and hope it is successful enough to prompt more similar development.

This type of development would also make people like Mr. Naylor in Varstiy View very happy, as development would not be in his "neighborhood".
im sure this is just "a" rendering, and not "the" rendering. Glad to see something like this be proposed along 8th.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 7:43 PM

This is an old article but shows some work being done at wanuskewin.

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...ding-expansion

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 8:48 PM

RE Cumberland Square Development:

I hate to say that I disagree with some of the folks here characterizing this 'density' as good and harmonious with transit routes. This is not residential density but further office space density that complicates Saskatoon's larger objectives. I don't think that putting another engineering firm (for example) in an 8th strip mall will not improve parking, traffic, or transit.

This would have been a prime opportunity for some quality high density residential along 8th street. I would have considered moving!

This said, I realize that the rendering appears to allow for expansion but that is a precarious promise. Its progress (which is always good) but not quite as on-point as I would like.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 1:52 PM

I think the quote provided along with the rendering may have been misleading. My understanding is that this will be 3 stories commercial with 6 to 9 floors of residential.

However, I may be the one misinterpreting that!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 7:57 PM

The Cumberland & 8th building is a 3 storey commercial building that has been designed to accommodate additional floors above. When, or if, those floors get built is just spectaculation.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
According to this agenda the city planning commission is considering the Urban Capital proposal on Broadway on Tuesday. I think that would put it at City Council for a vote in February?
So do we know any more about this as to timeline for Council to vote on it?

My understanding is that there were a few minor changes (i.e. options for more retail and something about options for plaza(?), but otherwise support from planning department.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 7:52 PM
Registered Geek

SKYXE Saskatoon Airport

Conceptual of the new departures.

https://skyxe.ca/en-us/skyxe-updates...ction-projects

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
So do we know any more about this as to timeline for Council to vote on it?

My understanding is that there were a few minor changes (i.e. options for more retail and something about options for plaza(?), but otherwise support from planning department.
According to the City's website it will be decided by Council on Feb. 25.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 11:02 PM

These may have been posted before, but here are renderings of the Egadz/Tees & Persse project on 1st Ave:

https://www.coldwellbankersaskatoon....k-1x5.83388008

https://www.coldwellbankersaskatoon....k-1x5.83387623

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 11:14 PM

New life for the Bowerman Block (former American Apparel) on 21st Street:

http://reddeeproperties.com/properti...-saskatoon-sk/

....Based on the "Prairie Pint" placeholder signage, and the new side door opening on to that pocket plaza between the building and Lululemon, it looks like they may be wanting to attract (or already have?) a restaurant/bar tenant with an outdoor patio. What a shot in the arm to street life on that block that would be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan