HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21  
Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 10:19 PM
ahealy's Avatar
ahealy ahealy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Austin | Panni, Italia
Posts: 1,628
Remind me who the developer is for The Pearl? I seriously want to email them about the zero retail thing....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2018, 3:24 PM
jbssfelix jbssfelix is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
Only 4 floors.. no retail.. Failburger.
I thought the plans intended for a separate building next door to be all retail/commercial. Did that change?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #23  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 5:04 PM
atxsnail atxsnail is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

Civil site development plans for Lamar Station.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...SU_PLAN_01.pdf
Following this one b/c it's close to my house. I noticed within the city response was the following line:

SP 1. The proposed site plan does not meet the minimum height (2-stories) for a property in the Corridor Mixed Use Subdistrict (Section 4.2.9.B). Please note that Alternative Equivalent Compliance is not available for modification of Section 4.2.9.

Can anyone who's more knowledgeable explain? To me this sounds like this project is very likely dead as a result. If they weren't interested in building some height before, they probably aren't interested in doing so now.

I am hoping something good can ultimately be built there. I'd probably have been disappointed with the semi-updated strip center they proposed thus far. If the adjacent carpet business building is ever sold then maybe there's a chance for something better, but it's also right next door to a power substation so perhaps not...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 8:30 PM
_Matt _Matt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Remind me who the developer is for The Pearl? I seriously want to email them about the zero retail thing....
Ledcor
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #25  
Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 8:32 PM
_Matt _Matt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
I thought the plans intended for a separate building next door to be all retail/commercial. Did that change?
I don't see that noted anywhere, but even if it is, the Pearl itself a huge frontage of apartments along Koenig that could have had something worth walking to.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #26  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 10:01 PM
atxsnail atxsnail is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 199
Posting here, though maybe it belongs somewhere else. The preliminary plan for the Austin State Hospital is out. It looks like it could be nice. I guess my first choice would be that they build higher and open up some of the land for regular development. Given that this is state land, maybe it's as good as it will get.



https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...tate-hospital/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #27  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 2:18 PM
eskimo33 eskimo33 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 92
I am in love with those green roofs, I wish we had more of them around town.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #28  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 3:12 PM
urbancore urbancore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Zilker
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
Posting here, though maybe it belongs somewhere else. The preliminary plan for the Austin State Hospital is out. It looks like it could be nice. I guess my first choice would be that they build higher and open up some of the land for regular development. Given that this is state land, maybe it's as good as it will get.



https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...tate-hospital/

That is TERRIBLE. Another huge suburban office park in the MIDDLE of a CITY. ZERO street interaction means little-no foot/bike traffic.

This really pisses me off.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #29  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 3:24 PM
jbssfelix jbssfelix is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 356
Looks like there's some movement at the Lamar Station lot at 7500 N Lamar.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #30  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 6:17 PM
atxsnail atxsnail is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
Looks like there's some movement at the Lamar Station lot at 7500 N Lamar.
i'm guessing it's probably just a staging area for the under-construction Crestview Station apartments.

the site plan filing for Lamar Station is listed as "inactive." the plan did not meet the minimum height of 2-stories for a building in the Lamar/Justin TOD. that sounds like a very expensive surprise for the developer unless there is some waiver process.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #31  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 8:03 PM
jbssfelix jbssfelix is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
The plan did not meet the minimum height of 2-stories for a building in the Lamar/Justin TOD.
Hallelujah.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #32  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 9:45 PM
Syndic's Avatar
Syndic Syndic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
That is TERRIBLE. Another huge suburban office park in the MIDDLE of a CITY. ZERO street interaction means little-no foot/bike traffic.

This really pisses me off.
This rendering from that link makes it look not so bad. There's foot traffic and even a bike. It definitely looks much better than what's there now.

It's a mental hospital guys. Let's not get overly selfish here.

__________________
Anti-Leslie Pool. Bury I-35!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #33  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 11:16 PM
urbancore urbancore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Zilker
Posts: 904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
This rendering from that link makes it look not so bad. There's foot traffic and even a bike. It definitely looks much better than what's there now.

It's a mental hospital guys. Let's not get overly selfish here.

From what I see on the first rendering, there is no relation to Lamar/38th/45th/ or Guad. So sure, everyone inside this pic is walking, but it's closed off to the rest of the city.

I imagine that is what NIMBY's actually want in some weird way.....it's just stupid. Guadalupe and Lamar are "activity corridors" or whatever the city calls them...those streets should be lined with at least 5 story commercial/residential buildings which encourage walking/biking/rail/bus/parachutes/drones....whatever else.

Again, maybe I see the image wrong. But it not ok to make this a development that faces inward in the middle of a city. I get it when it comes to the Domain, it is bound by different types of roads.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #34  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 12:18 AM
AusTxDevelopment AusTxDevelopment is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 724
Who are all these people walking and biking around a State Mental Hospital campus? I get that physicians and administrators will have offices there and it might have some teaching facilities, but the funding for this redevelopment comes from the State Legislature.

The concept rendering seems a bit posh for a state-funded renovation of a healthcare facility. I'm not saying the patients & doctors don't deserve it, but I doubt the Leg will fund it as rendered.

Also: is Tesla the car of choice for doctors who work at state agencies?

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #35  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 2:16 PM
Sigaven Sigaven is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
That is TERRIBLE. Another huge suburban office park in the MIDDLE of a CITY. ZERO street interaction means little-no foot/bike traffic.

This really pisses me off.
I don't see anything wrong with this. It's a closed/secured campus, it's not really supposed to be open to the public and so street interaction wouldn't really make sense. On the plus side it seems, old dilapidated buildings are replaced with a denser plan of updated ones, and there aren't endless seas of parking.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #36  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 2:39 PM
shoreditch shoreditch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 15
I think the major frustration is that they could easily have produced a design with greater vertical density (I'm talking 5 and 6 story buildings, not 2 and 3) on a smaller footprint of land, freeing up acres of underutilized, prime land.

You could develop everything along 45th from Lamar to Guadalupe and south to wherever the smaller, more confined campus ended. Heck, if they don't want to sell the land they could even do 99-year leases and allow development to provide a passive income stream to the State Hosptial.

Sidenote: FWIW, I also don't understand why the State hasn't thought about doing something like this with all the DPS and TxDoT buildings farther north on Lamar.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #37  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 2:44 PM
Novacek Novacek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
Who are all these people walking and biking around a State Mental Hospital campus? I get that physicians and administrators will have offices there and it might have some teaching facilities, but the funding for this redevelopment comes from the State Legislature.

The concept rendering seems a bit posh for a state-funded renovation of a healthcare facility. I'm not saying the patients & doctors don't deserve it, but I doubt the Leg will fund it as rendered.

Also: is Tesla the car of choice for doctors who work at state agencies?
Depends on if that's supposed to be an internal street/driveway or frontage on Guadalupe/Lamar.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #38  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:21 PM
We vs us We vs us is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreditch View Post
I think the major frustration is that they could easily have produced a design with greater vertical density (I'm talking 5 and 6 story buildings, not 2 and 3) on a smaller footprint of land, freeing up acres of underutilized, prime land.

You could develop everything along 45th from Lamar to Guadalupe and south to wherever the smaller, more confined campus ended. Heck, if they don't want to sell the land they could even do 99-year leases and allow development to provide a passive income stream to the State Hosptial.

Sidenote: FWIW, I also don't understand why the State hasn't thought about doing something like this with all the DPS and TxDoT buildings farther north on Lamar.
I was essentially just about to write this comment.

This plan is a really, really poor use of prime land.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #39  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:51 PM
ahealy's Avatar
ahealy ahealy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Austin | Panni, Italia
Posts: 1,628
Idk...My mom worked at ASH in in mid 90's and it needs as much TLC as it can get! This render seems totally appropriate to me. It doesn't need fro-yo shops and a tapas bar to work. Green roofs look amazing, but they never seem to actually happen. Have y'all ever noticed that? I feel like we've seen so so many projects that get pitched with like a green wall or green roof and then it's just like a few monkey grass plantings and they're done ....not holding my breath.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #40  
Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:59 PM
Azul Azul is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Idk...My mom worked at ASH in in mid 90's and it needs as much TLC as it can get! This render seems totally appropriate to me. It doesn't need fro-yo shops and a tapas bar to work. Green roofs look amazing, but they never seem to actually happen. Have y'all ever noticed that? I feel like we've seen so so many projects that get pitched with like a green wall or green roof and then it's just like a few monkey grass plantings and they're done ....not holding my breath.
Green roofs are really, really heavy and designers/owners seem to forget about that sometimes. By the time the project gets off the ground and into the engineering phases it'll usually be the first item on the chopping block for VE as the owner ends up realizing that green roofs require a fairly substantial increase in structural material costs for seemingly little gain. I'm a little more optimistic they keep some green roofs or gardens since they might be able to find ways to implement them in their treatments.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:11 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.