HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Dylan in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 6, 2011, 9:50 AM
millard fillmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
I am beginning to recognize your method of operation. When the render is revealed - you trash it. Ground breaking - announce you have relunctantly high hopes with a back handed compliment: something like, "I'm excited New York is finally going to get something that doesn't make me want to vomit into my mouth and nose."

Then the cladding starts - you trash it. Top out - trash it. Chime in with any and all negative comments and published reviews. Ignore all the good ones. Is that about right?

Whats puzzling is that you ignore the really dumpy stuff. No comments on MiMa? That crap tower up at Mt. Sainai? Gene fucking Kaufman?
Really?

The internet is certainly an outlet for negativity but, architecturally, there really is almost nothing to praise that has been proposed or is being built in the US. Yes, there are exceptions obviously. But why must one praise something when it merits no praise at all? The proposals for this project are all anywhere from totally outdated to just bland. Nothing better. Of course it's all a matter of taste, but if you're looking for a building to display any promise, in terms of materials, renderings, etc., this looks to be a pretty mediocre product from a thoroughly mediocre firm.

Again, nothing to praise and plenty to criticize. Though you could probably sum up the criticism by just sighing heavily, then shake your head and finally shrug emphatically and go back to doing something more worthwhile like eating a burrito.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 9:33 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/111119888

35-story apartment tower slated for Fifth Avenue
DC-based real estate fund teams up with developer Urban Development to build 165-unit,
market-rate rental building on site of earlier failed project a block below Empire State Building.

By Amanda Fung
November 17, 2011

Quote:

A new 35-story, market-rate apartment tower with 165 rental units will rise at 309 Fifth Ave. in Manhattan. The news was announced Thursday by Multi-Employer Property Trust, a real estate fund that invested more than $100 million in equity in the project.

The opening date for the 122,000-square-foot property on the east side of Fifth Avenue between East 31st and 32nd streets has been set for September 2013. The building will boast 10,400 square feet of ground-floor and basement retail space. It will be developed by Manhattan-based Urban Development Partners. Construction is expected to begin in a few weeks, according to a spokeswoman for Multi-Employer Property Trust, adding that the prior owner of the site started the foundation work.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 4:45 PM
Build Baby Build

I cannot even fathom how much these apartments will each go for. Fifth avenue glass high rise.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 4:58 PM

This building is crap, it even looks cheap in the rendering. Look how it obliterates the street wall! DCP needs to take a serious look at their zoning requirements...

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 1:27 AM
Khurram Parvaz

If there's one Avenue that should be untouched with glass cladding, it's 5th Ave.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 2:19 AM
BANNED

This area, until recently, was pretty shoddy. That being said, it's rebounding dramatically. I hope that this is the last low-end tower built there. This area deserves limestone and brick.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 4:22 AM

This building is a shit. A simple glass box to a place so important.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2011, 4:29 AM
Khurram Parvaz

I think as long as no glass POS passes the height of the Setai, which set the standard for what should go on 5th Ave these days, I'll be fine.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 11:42 PM

Umm guys, this one has already been under construction for a while now that I think about it. I tripled checked it and every thing. They've even already started the cladding. Take a look. I'm guessing this should be moved to U/C now...

Last edited by Arawooho; Jul 11, 2012 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 11:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by reencharles View Post
This building is a shit. A simple glass box to a place so important.
That part of 5th avenue has never been considered very important in recent times. Actually, it used to be rather downtrodden and neglected. Did you think the whole of 5th avenue was extremely upscale or something? It is a very long street!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 1:22 AM

Holy crap, that is bad.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 1:28 AM

this building would be great somewhere else.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
That part of 5th avenue has never been considered very important in recent times. Actually, it used to be rather downtrodden and neglected. Did you think the whole of 5th avenue was extremely upscale or something? It is a very long street!
I mean, this is close to the ESB. They could have done better, differently and that combined with this site.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 4:02 AM

it's forgettable

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Did you think the whole of 5th avenue was extremely upscale or something? It is a very long street!
This part of 5th Ave. is pretty upscale nowadays.

Maybe not 20 years ago, but nowadays, office rents are higher in Midtown South than in Midtown itself.

And the opening of Eataly largely transformed the retail.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2012, 7:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
This part of 5th Ave. is pretty upscale nowadays.

Maybe not 20 years ago, but nowadays, office rents are higher in Midtown South than in Midtown itself.

And the opening of Eataly largely transformed the retail.
Hmm.. I never would have guessed from looking at that street.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 8:30 PM

I passed this one today. It is what it is... uninspired and obviously designed to maximize the bottom line. Too bad they couldn't at least line up to the street wall.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 8:55 PM
Come As You Are

I like it. At least it's not one of those nearly invisible 90s-style brick apartments.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 9:49 PM

This thing's about as awful as the other stuff over here, but here it is from above. Should see the glass soon.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 1:51 AM

This one is getting pretty tall, but honestly, I'm liking it less and less the taller it is. o.o

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive