HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrodrig34 View Post
Any pics on the progress on Twelve Twenty-One? I fly back to San Antonio on Thursday so I'll take some pictures this weekend if no one posts.
I took one....

I was doing alot of looking around and i forgot to snap some more. They were also pouring concrete on the 2nd level of the garage; they were pouring the 3rd level a couple of days ago. They were putting up wall boards on the north side of the building and it appeared that a camera crew was there(?), not sure why.
There is definitely plenty going on, I also went over to see the pile of rubble at Pearl.

Oh yeah, and this was up on the corner of Ave. B and Jones.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 1:18 PM
Paradise

From Ripley's gets partial OK on exterior renovation
Quote:
The commission also:

Approved design changes to the Broadway Lofts, part of the long-delayed 1221 Broadway project, to include first-floor office and retail space, with rental units above.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 3:48 PM

I think you meant to put this in....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
From Ripley's gets partial OK on exterior renovation
Quote:
The commission also:

Approved design changes to the Broadway Lofts, part of the long-delayed 1221 Broadway project, to include first-floor office and retail space, with rental units above.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...ion-993150.php

Here is a link to the agenda... 1221 is the second item on here (6th on the agenda.)

Looks like the design changes are to make the street-side exterior of the office building.
First of all, it will no longer be offices above retail, it will be apartments, and the office space will be sharing street-level with retail. I still think that Broadway should have street parking on both sides and get rid of that center lane; create a buffer from fast moving cars and humans, and it might make people slow down a bit if they are more cautious of people pulling in and out of parking spots along the street since they feel the need to speed in that stretch under 37/35. By maximizing street parking, they might also decrease the future need for parking spaces in the area.

Quote:
The applicant received final approval for this project on November 4, 2009. The applicant is returning to request conceptual approval for modifications to the previously submitted plans. The revised plans include retail at the first floor level with residential rental units above. A complete signage plan for the development will be submitted at a later date.
The applicant met with staff and the Design Review Committee on January 25, 2011. The Committee supported the revised plans for the structure, particularly the decision to setback the first floor façade along Broadway to create a pedestrian-scaled covered walkway space at the retail level. The Committee recommended approval as submitted with the stipulation that the applicant return for final approval with a landscaping and lighting plan to soften the uniformity of the structure and animate the building at night.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 7:33 PM

There will be 39 apartments above the retail/office portion. That will be phase II. Phase I is the "back" apartments and garage. 268 apartments will be part of that phase. 307 total apartments in the development.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2011, 9:52 AM

Thanks for the updates. Looks like it's moving along slowly but at least it's moving!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 5:05 AM

Just a quick photo I snapped, not the best view but shows some progress

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 1:15 AM

How long have they been unfinished?? and when is the set out date for the completion??

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Dskyhigh View Post
How long have they been unfinished?? and when is the set out date for the completion??
Prior construction stopped in October 2004. They should have first residents moving in by early this summer.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 10:13 PM
Paradise

Speaking of 1221...

1221 Broadway leasing scheduled to begin in a month
Quote:
Leasing begins May 1. The project’s developers are looking at June for the first move-ins.

It’s hard to calculate when driving by, but the property actually consists of 17 structures. The first phase, which is completely funded, is comprised of 268 units. Funding is still being sought for Phase 2 (the loan building that faces Broadway), but assuming those pieces fall into place, that will add another 34 units. Phase 3, which is conceptual at this point, calls for the construction of new buildings on the land between Roy Smith Street and U.S. 281.

The parking garage, which 1221 residents will use without an additional charge, is being used now by construction crews. It’s big enough to accommodate residents of all three phases.

The average size of the units at the Vistana is about 900 square feet, bringing the average rent at $1,200 a month. The average size of the units at 1221 Broadway is about 650 square feet, bringing the average rent to between $900-$950 a month. There are 52 unit types at 1221. Units will range in size from 400-square-foot studios ($610 a month) to large 1,200-square-foot two bedroom, two baths ($1,700-$1,800 a month). These are broad figures, but the official 1221 Broadway website, 1221broadway.com, will be live next week with details.
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtow...in-in-a-month/

Some good info.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 7:32 PM

The best part of it is the fact that they keep adding units. First is was only the original 268, then they added the 34 above the retail on Broadway side, and now they are talking about adding more in a phase III.

Speaking of adding more units, it looks as if The Mosaic is getting the HDRC's blessing next week.

From agenda:
Quote:
The applicant is requesting a Certificate of Appropriateness for final approval to:
Construct a 125,000 square foot mixed-use commercial and multi-family project that will be located on a
vacant urban city block between Josephine and Grayson streets on Broadway. The development will consist
of retail, restaurant, and office spaces on the 1st floor, and 114 residential apartments on the 2nd-4th floors.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 3:49 PM
Paradise

The website is up now.

http://www.12welve2wenty1.com/

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 7:40 PM
Endless Moments...

Now that is what I am talking about. Fantastic...

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 12:17 AM
Liberator.

Location: San Antonio,(born) Arlington Heights, Ill.(Chicagoland)
Nothing new to report on my end

Go Spurs (NBA) , Go Talons (arena football) , Go Scorpions (soccer) , Go UTSA Roadrunners (college football) , Go Rampage (hockey)

Last edited by max7; May 12, 2011 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 12:23 AM
Liberator.

Location: San Antonio,(born) Arlington Heights, Ill.(Chicagoland)
Nothing new to report on my end, but I have finally seen the banner for the 1221 Broadway in front of the construction site itself. I like the double-decker breezeway connecting one building to the other. I'm very impressed with the progress that is being made. It's also great that they have a head start with the frame of the building already up. I believe that one of the reasons for them adding more units to the 1221 is because Mayor Castro has finally made official that there WILL be a grocery store built downtown. They say it doesn't make financial sense, but I think it does! They say if you build it, they will come. Well, I believe that if you build not a generic building, but a beautiful and well-constructed one, that even more will come, and not only come, but also stay. A good example of this, is The Vistana Apartments, which is I am happy to say is practically 100% leased. The proof is in the putting! The 1221 will definitely rank in the same category as The Vistana Apartments. Even I might consider moving into the 1221!

Go Spurs (NBA) , Go Talons (arena football) , Go Scorpions (soccer) , Go UTSA Roadrunners (college football) , Go Rampage (hockey)

Last edited by max7; May 12, 2011 at 12:34 AM.

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 12:31 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Bit of an update: The buildings between the shell and Avenue B look practically done from the outside. The buildings closest to the river still have a ways to go, but since that side was the least complete of the entire site I guess that makes sense. The streets are also finally being resurfaced, and the garage has been cleaned up nice and they've put new railings and some sort of roof on the garage as well. Judging by this, I guess the first move ins aren't far off?

Side note: They finally broke ground on that trailer restaurant at Jones and Ave. B. It's not really much of a construction project, and I'm not really much of a fan of these trailer-type restaurants, but it's nice to add a third restaurant to the museum reach (the first two being La Gloria at the Pearl and that restaurant behind the Art Museum)

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 5:57 AM

Update

Took these pics earlier this evening. 7-28-11 This is turning out nice

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 2:17 PM
Paradise

Looks really nice!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 9:21 PM

Hopefully the building closest to the river will have some retail/cafe spaces open up where the large grooved metal sheets are now. I really liked that about the original plan. It could feel a little suburban to have nothing but residential blocks and then retail only on Broadway.

I noticed the other day while riding past that the street-lights the've put in have cameras very cleverly concealed in them. Its really creepy actually. I tend to feel less comfortable and less secure in surveillance areas.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 3:07 AM
Endless Moments...

agreed.

Anyhow nice pics. Looking awesome...
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 4:03 AM

I think it is fine with residential only for the 1 block; it is only 1 block. That corner isn't even up against the river, the two other lots nearby are up against it. What could happen is the same thing as the main riverwalk; if you have everything on the river, the street suffers. This way, someone would have to wander away a bit (100 yards or so) to Broadway and create some cross pedestrian traffic if they wanted to grab a bite.
One building should strive to fill every need, then there would be no need for other buildings nearby.
cake and keep it, too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio