HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 8:38 PM

SA - 12WELVE 2WENTY1 BROADWAY - Mixed Use Project - River North

1221 Broadway is a mixed-use redevelopment project located in the master-planned neighborhood of River North,
on the banks of the recently completed Museum Reach section of the San Antonio River. 1221 Broadway will be one
of the first developments completed in this cultural arts district on the north end of downtown San Antonio, making it
a premier location for its residents, businesses and retailers. It is within walking distance to the San Antonio Museum of
Art, the Bexar County Performing Arts Center and the Pearl Brewery project. The project is targeted as LEED-Silver,
and with a commitment to sustainable design and innovative technologies.
Covering two entire city blocks, this project will include a
5-story 76,673 SF office building with first floor retail, 295 loft apartments
and a 5-story parking garage.

Convenience, security and spectacular riverfront views await those
who will call 1221 Broadway home. Apartment homes will offer
spacious units, high ceilings, large windows, gourmet kitchens, and
covered, secured parking. Elevators will provide access to all residential
floors, and walkways offer easy access to the covered parking
garage. Amenities will include landscaped courtyards, a rooftop
pool and in-ground pool, a fitness center and a media room. The
building will offer the latest in high-tech communications capabilities.
Mini-storage units will also be available.

The first floor of the office building includes almost 12,000 rentable square feet of retail space, an elevator lobby and
conference room for office tenants, and other building service elements. Contemplated retail uses for the first floor
include a restaurant with patio space, a coffee shop, and grocery. Paid covered parking will include 514 spaces for
retail customers, office tenants and residents.

The 1221 Broadway location offers easy access to Hwy. 281, I-35 and IH-10. It is within close proximity to Trinity
University, San Antonio College, The University of the Incarnate Word and the downtown campus of UTSA.
Brackenridge Park, the San Antonio Museum of Art and the Witte Museum are just blocks away. It is immediately
adjacent to the Museum Reach section of the San
Antonio River Walk and the San Antonio city center
is just a few blocks to the south. Numerous
restaurants and retail businesses are located along
Broadway. Public transportation is at our doorstep.

all info from www.cross-co.com
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 9:17 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

I love that Cross owns so much property in River North! Let the good times roll!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 10:52 PM

Can't wait till this is complete! Once it gets going it should happen quite fast considering the shell is already built.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 4:06 AM

too bad it could not be taller

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 4:11 PM

I think its the perfect height, actually, as an true urban neighborhood is built on a human scale. Who are you more likely to have association with, somebody who lives two floors above you or twenty?? If RN/Broadway corridor was comprised of a dozen residential developments of this same height, I'd be thrilled.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 10:41 PM
James

Oh my goodness I love it, and I totally agree SKW, I'm very glad he owns this much property, too bad he can't own more! haha

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 5:03 PM

The one I'm excited to see eventually break ground is the Ave. B/9th St. project. I think that block has great potential, not only for infill of some dead space, but to anchor the center of River North with some residential that allows for the most height (20 floors, if I'm not mistaken.)

3rd/ Broadway is also going to be a key location... Imagine a Vistana-like project anchoring that corner. Also the possibility of adding 200+ units that close to Houston St. and the CBD is exciting.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 5:54 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
The one I'm excited to see eventually break ground is the Ave. B/9th St. project. I think that block has great potential, not only for infill of some dead space, but to anchor the center of River North with some residential that allows for the most height (20 floors, if I'm not mistaken.
I don't think 20 stories is the max. When the city became in charge of the master plan they increased the height limit.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 8:43 AM

Any idea what the new height limit is?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 4:56 PM

Like the Development, but I feel its a waist to make another grand hyatt wide 2 city block building at 5 stories. Isn't it true that all the new houses on the north side are two stories so they get more houses in a smaller area to make more money. Well river north is valuable, we should be building towers all along this river, space is going to run out. Someone is going to be left out. We will be looking at this building saying well maybe 10 stories and 1 city block would have not been so bad. I don't even thing 20 stories is tall enough. Look at the Vidorra, its twenty, and the Alamodome columns are still taller. I truly believe we need a thirty story building to make an impact on the skyline.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 6:18 PM

i agree

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
We will be looking at this building saying well maybe 10 stories and 1 city block would have not been so bad. I don't even thing 20 stories is tall enough. Look at the Vidorra, its twenty, and the Alamodome columns are still taller. I truly believe we need a thirty story building to make an impact on the skyline.
30+ would make an impact, but I would rather see that height with a couple of office buildings in the CBD.
Evolution of a neighborhood will dictate what height a building is needed. At this point 10 would make an impact in that area. I keep wanting to say that 20 is the max for riverfront, and 10-15 along secondary corridors (Alamo, Ave. B) and 5 on Broadway.
There is plenty of space in River North. And if there is not enough space for everyone, like you said, then they can live in the outlying neighborhoods.
Considering that only a couple hundred live in that area now, I think River North will be okay.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 5:00 PM

Update from DTBlog:

Quote:
While interviewing developer Ed Cross last week about another matter, I asked him for an update on 1221 Broadway — the huge building shells slated to become a mixed-use property at Broadway and U.S. 281 and which also rests a stone's throw from the River Walk extension.

Through the partnership Broadway Lofts LP, Cross is waiting to hear back from the U.S. Housing and Urban Development Department about whether their application for financing has been approved.

Cross said the announcement could come later this month or in early December, in which case construction could begin Jan. 1.

He wasn't sure whether 1221 Broadway was in competition with other stalled housing projects for the HUD financing.

"I suspect there's a finite pot of money that HUD has," Cross said. "Right now, they're the only girl at the dance, so there's a lot of interest in their financing."

He's confident the application is strong. Having completed the block-long Vistana apartment building, 100 N. Santa Rosa, earlier this year gives him a track record.

Last week, the Historic and Design Review Commission approved plans for 1221 Broadway. The HDRC must approve the plans because the project is located in the RIO-2 zoning district.

According to an Express-News article last week, the buildings will include "office and retail space, about 260 apartments, a garage and elevated walkways."

Read a previous Express-News article concerning the legal battles over the property.

— Benjamin Olivo
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 5:55 PM
Bears of antiquity

Trust me when I say that this will be very much like the Pearl District in Portland. Buildings no taller than 15 stories, most around 6-8 stories. Like the old apartment neighborhoods that were adjacent to downtown cores to house city workers, lawyers and doctors like First Hill in Seattle.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 11:14 PM
Paradise

^Is that a good thing?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 4:08 PM
Bears of antiquity

Yup

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 3:28 AM
Paradise

So is it going to get started next month?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2010, 12:05 PM

At the Cross and Company website it says "Now Pre-Leasing. Occupancy targeted for October 2010". Has construction restarted because I don't see how it's going to get done by October 2010 if construction hasn't started?

Sorry, I'm in Korea right now so I can't go check for myself.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2010, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrodrig34 View Post
At the Cross and Company website it says "Now Pre-Leasing. Occupancy targeted for October 2010". Has construction restarted because I don't see how it's going to get done by October 2010 if construction hasn't started?

Sorry, I'm in Korea right now so I can't go check for myself.
Nothing new. The construction was supposed to start back up in Jan. but since it hasn't, it might be more like Oct 2011, maybe even 2012.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2010, 3:48 AM

Found a bit of interesting info while scouring the web:

In a story about "Ghost Town" (I guess that's the nickname to the empty shell,) there was a statement from David Adelmen, principal at Cross & Co.
Quote:
The current owners of the property, a partnership called Colina del Rio LP, plan to cooperate with the city in driving the homeless from the complex, said David Adelman, a principal in Cross & Co., one of the companies in the partnership.

"They can have all the access they want from us,” Adelman said. “The city has our full support to do whatever’s necessary.”

He added, “We’re hopeful to commence construction as early as May. We’re in the final stages of financing for the project.”
Just thought I'd pass on that bit of information for those interested.
cake and keep it, too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio