HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #261  
Old Posted May 18, 2016, 8:02 PM
kornbread kornbread is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Having the ITC stay in place with new development around it is a really interesting idea, a good developer could create something really interesting with that. Plus I would hate to see the ITC leave its current site, I have a feeling that if it leaves its current location it would probably be stuck off on the edge of UTSA somewhere and never heard from again.
I think it's time for them to move. They suffer from the same problem as Hemisfair in that they are off the beaten path.

I think a good landing place could be in one of the buildings purchased by the GLO in Alamo Plaza. I'm not sure if any of the building spaces or configuration work well, but that would be an ideal location. Historical museum near one of the most visited sites in the state with relevance (as opposed to Ripley's). It makes sense to me.

Stick the baseball diamond on the old site and build residential/retail around it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #262  
Old Posted May 18, 2016, 8:41 PM
Keep-SA-Lame's Avatar
Keep-SA-Lame Keep-SA-Lame is offline
COGSADCAJA- Publicist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
I think it's time for them to move. They suffer from the same problem as Hemisfair in that they are off the beaten path.

I think a good landing place could be in one of the buildings purchased by the GLO in Alamo Plaza. I'm not sure if any of the building spaces or configuration work well, but that would be an ideal location. Historical museum near one of the most visited sites in the state with relevance (as opposed to Ripley's). It makes sense to me.

Stick the baseball diamond on the old site and build residential/retail around it.
I mean, it's true that ITC as it is is pretty off the beaten path, but with the Hemisfair project the path is being rerouted to their front door basically, so if they stayed put they would be in high cotton, in my opinion.

I agree that Alamo Plaza would be a great place for the ITC if it was to leave Hemisfair, but rumor has it the GLO has plans for Alamo Plaza that don't involve those 3 buildings existing in their current locations...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #263  
Old Posted May 18, 2016, 9:38 PM
kornbread kornbread is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
I mean, it's true that ITC as it is is pretty off the beaten path, but with the Hemisfair project the path is being rerouted to their front door basically, so if they stayed put they would be in high cotton, in my opinion.

I agree that Alamo Plaza would be a great place for the ITC if it was to leave Hemisfair, but rumor has it the GLO has plans for Alamo Plaza that don't involve those 3 buildings existing in their current locations...
I hope that's not true. That would absolutely be a terrible thing to do.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #264  
Old Posted May 19, 2016, 1:19 PM
Keep-SA-Lame's Avatar
Keep-SA-Lame Keep-SA-Lame is offline
COGSADCAJA- Publicist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
I hope that's not true. That would absolutely be a terrible thing to do.
Couldn't agree more, but certain people seem more interested in making the Alamo more like the movies than actually doing something interesting with one of the most unique public spaces in the country. Go to the newspaper website and search for "alamo plaza" and you'll find three or four op-eds by their editorial board and others advocating the removal of those buildings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #265  
Old Posted May 19, 2016, 1:27 PM
Keep-SA-Lame's Avatar
Keep-SA-Lame Keep-SA-Lame is offline
COGSADCAJA- Publicist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 750
To get back on topic, looks like UTSA wants to keep the ITC downtown:

http://www.utsystem.edu/sites/utsfil...%20%282%29.pdf

"For purposes of Relocation Costs, a new ITC Facility must be located within a tourism
region of San Antonio, such as the museum district along Broadway Street, or theDowntown Riverwalk or Alamo area"

The map is on page 18. The idea moving the ITC up to Broadway is very intriguing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #266  
Old Posted May 19, 2016, 3:04 PM
The Model's Avatar
The Model The Model is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 542
Does ITC have to move? I actually like where they are located. I feel like with the new development of Hemisfair park the ITC is in a perfect location already. If the plan is to demo ITC, I'm very disappointed. It seems like Hemisfair is changing so much there will be nothing left from the 1968 version of the park except the Tower. I'm hoping to be proven wrong but I still not on board with some of the plans for the park. Like adding street grid from the neighborhood that existed before 1968. The possible removal of all the fountains around the tower also. I know they were not original but their a fan favorite among locals.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #267  
Old Posted May 19, 2016, 7:56 PM
Spoiler's Avatar
Spoiler Spoiler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
Does ITC have to move? I actually like where they are located. I feel like with the new development of Hemisfair park the ITC is in a perfect location already. If the plan is to demo ITC, I'm very disappointed. It seems like Hemisfair is changing so much there will be nothing left from the 1968 version of the park except the Tower. I'm hoping to be proven wrong but I still not on board with some of the plans for the park. Like adding street grid from the neighborhood that existed before 1968. The possible removal of all the fountains around the tower also. I know they were not original but their a fan favorite among locals.
I'm not sure how much of what's left of Hemisfair '68 should stay. Of what remains, I am in favor of keeping the federal courthouse and judicial training center, the women's pavilion, the Mexican Cultural Institute, the Lila Cockrell theater, and of course the tower. The ITC has such a massive footprint that I think there's too much opportunity for that space to allow it to remain the way it is. I am also massively in favor of restoring the street grid.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #268  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 4:59 PM
Sean1187 Sean1187 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 58
Does anyone have updated photos of the cleared out area from the demolished portion of the convention center?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #269  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 9:00 PM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1187 View Post
Does anyone have updated photos of the cleared out area from the demolished portion of the convention center?
I'll get some tomorrow. I live across the street but I'm busy today, Sean.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #270  
Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 8:12 PM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 2,211
Rivard: Hemisfair’s Civic Park, P3 Development At-Risk with Low Bond Funding


So who else finds this absolutely ridiculous?

btw, here is an aerial of the site... from the same article by Scott Ball.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #271  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 6:43 PM
kornbread kornbread is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
So who else finds this absolutely ridiculous?
If by absolutely ridiculous you mean the lack of funding? Then yes.

The city's new showcase park right next to the convention center in the middle of everything. Supposedly envisioned as a new gathering place for the city and trying to be complete for 2018. How does this get shortchanged?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #272  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 9:42 PM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
If by absolutely ridiculous you mean the lack of funding? Then yes.

The city's new showcase park right next to the convention center in the middle of everything. Supposedly envisioned as a new gathering place for the city and trying to be complete for 2018. How does this get shortchanged?
LOL yeah, that's what I meant. Like this has been in the planning and now construction stage for years... how do you not allocate the funds correctly? This is disappointing beyond all reason. Just gah.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #273  
Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 10:54 PM
aggie2008 aggie2008 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
LOL yeah, that's what I meant. Like this has been in the planning and now construction stage for years... how do you not allocate the funds correctly? This is disappointing beyond all reason. Just gah.
Call your city council person and the mayor. Talk to the bond chairs. It isn't set in stone and can be changed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #274  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 1:19 PM
Keep-SA-Lame's Avatar
Keep-SA-Lame Keep-SA-Lame is offline
COGSADCAJA- Publicist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 750
How incredibly short sighted. This is the one "optional" thing in the bond package that should absolutely without a doubt be funded.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #275  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 4:54 AM
The Model's Avatar
The Model The Model is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1187 View Post
Does anyone have updated photos of the cleared out area from the demolished portion of the convention center?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #276  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 4:54 AM
The Model's Avatar
The Model The Model is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 542
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #277  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 2:33 PM
Sean1187 Sean1187 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 58
Thank you so much for providing the photos. I really can't wait for the finished product.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #278  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 4:55 AM
The Model's Avatar
The Model The Model is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 542


Updated view
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #279  
Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 7:54 AM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 2,211
The final review for the new Hemisfair apts goes up to the HDRC on Wednesday! woot
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #280  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 9:43 PM
jaga185's Avatar
jaga185 jaga185 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Posts: 2,211
Zachry plans to build food hall, class A office building at Hemisfair

Quote:
...The office building, which will be between five and eight stories tall, will raise the five-acre mixed-use project’s total cost from $165 million to $200 million, he said.

Zachry also plans to build an 8,000 square-foot food hall with space for about a dozen food vendors, and a 200-room hotel that will be part of Hilton’s luxury Curio brand, Gonzalez said. Multifamily developer NRP Group will build a 383-unit apartment building between 9 and 12 stories tall with access to the River Walk, he said.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:28 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.