HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 4:37 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Have you been to Ikea?

I've had plenty of rowdy sex on an ikea bed, and not a single screw has come loose. I have a battery operated LED lamp that I got for pennies and it hasn't even needed a replacement in months.

You fail to understand the simple economic concept, that's for sure-- but what's the real reason you hate Ikea?

Is it because you hate FREEDOM?
Yes you are correct. I do not Ikea because I hate "FREEDOM"

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 3:03 PM
San Antonio, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post

Is it because you hate FREEDOM?

WTF!!! LMFAO!!!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 3:51 PM
I'm one fathom tall

Location: Sicilia (Sicily) 6 months a year/ Texas 6 months a year
Ikea sucks and is one of the most overated trashy stores on the planet.
Here in Europe the stores are not even that cheap! In the States I am not sure other than a bookcase or some simple item why anyone would furnish a house or kitchen with it. But more power to you if you do.

Somewhere in Sweden a man is eating a meatball and laughing right now...

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Pissing off forumers since 1999

Io sempre voglio la fica della mia mogile.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 4:15 PM
passion for patterns

Ikea is great, I think, it's not a place where you would go to furnish your entire house, but they have lots of creative little things that do the trick for the price. Also, Ikea's products vary in quality - they have more expensive offerings that are much better-made than their entry-level stuff.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 2:26 PM

Good to see San Antonio finally getting an IKEA. All the big, important cities in Texas have had one for awhile now.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 8:21 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

SA would have had one a lot sooner if it weren't for certain back room dealings.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 8:35 PM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
SA would have had one a lot sooner if it weren't for certain back room dealings.
So you're implying that Austin or Round Rock used payola or something to influence IKEA?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 8:49 PM

My comment had nothing to do with anyone outside of San Antonio. Are you trying to start something?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 8:59 PM
passion for patterns

Well, your above statement was open with a lot of room for interpretation - maybe you can explain what it means?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
Well, your above statement was open with a lot of room for interpretation - maybe you can explain what it means?
I won't/can't, which is why I wrote it that way, but what the question to you is why would that be your assumption, seeing as how you think I left it open to a lot of interpretation. Maybe an inkblot test of sorts.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewDizzle View Post
Good to see San Antonio finally getting an IKEA. All the big, important cities in Texas have had one for awhile now.
Right...so what makes a city big and important is if they have an ikea? please, im not sayin sa is big or important..cause its really neither of the two...but a city getting more credit than is due just because it has a furniture store? its ok keep that cheaply crafted shit out of my city..

Now how many big important texas cities have a gucci store? thats a more serious question to be asked I think more people care about that then a furniture store...or maybe its just the age difference. Who knows.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 12:31 AM

I don't think he was in any way saying that the cities that have IKEA's are important because they have IKEA, I think he was just saying that it's odd that all the big cities in TX (Houston, Austin and Dallas) have one and not San Antonio, being that it is the last big city in TX not to get one. I'm not speaking for him but thats what I got from that.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 12:33 AM
passion for patterns

Quote:
I won't/can't, which is why I wrote it that way, but what the question to you is why would that be your assumption, seeing as how you think I left it open to a lot of interpretation. Maybe an inkblot test of sorts.
Well, unless I misread, you suggested that an IKEA wasn't built sooner in San Antonio because of back room dealings. This would indicate that there was something in San Antonio politics or real estate development that actively prohibited IKEA from entering a certain location or the market at all, or would indicate that there was some kind of influence that caused Austin to get one built sooner vs. San Antonio. It just seems like something that's kind of serious and that's why I remarked. If that kind of stuff actually happened, certainly we would want to know about it. But since you can't comment further, I don't know what the point of your comment was in the first place.

(Perhaps to allay the suggestion that San Antonio otherwise didn't have the demographics to warrant one, which had been bandied about before with other new stores?)

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 12:43 AM
Meh

Don't worry about not having an IKEA. Big buildings should not be blue and yellow.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 12:49 AM
passion for patterns

Anyway, I don't think it's demographics, there are IKEA's in Poland where the median income is like $12,000 a year. It's probably just a matter of being closer to a distribution center, a highway, or maybe they got the right price in Round Rock and couldn't find the right spot in SA yet. I definitely want San Antonio to get one, because that will reduce the amount of traffic from SA-metro area people driving out of their way to go to the Round Rock one.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 4:06 AM

Quote:
(Perhaps to allay the suggestion that San Antonio otherwise didn't have the demographics to warrant one, which had been bandied about before with other new stores?)
Nope. And the demographics actually favor SA for a store so that's not the reason. SA was also getting a store, the timing like I said was hauled because of other reasons.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 4:13 AM
Meh

Quote:
I definitely want San Antonio to get one, because that will reduce the amount of traffic from SA-metro area people driving out of their way to go to the Round Rock one.
Good point. My cousin drove all the way to Houston to pick up a bed that he had ordered online from them before they opened the Round Rock store.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 4:32 AM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Nope. And the demographics actually favor SA for a store so that's not the reason. SA was also getting a store, the timing like I said was hauled because of other reasons.
Well, since you can't say what the reasons are, I don't know why you brought it up to begin with. Unless you work for IKEA's new stores division, I doubt you really know what their reasoning was. Just like I don't know. Was Austin getting a Nordstrom's first due to "other reasons" too?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2007, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Well, since you can't say what the reasons are, I don't know why you brought it up to begin with. Unless you work for IKEA's new stores division, I doubt you really know what their reasoning was. Just like I don't know. Was Austin getting a Nordstrom's first due to "other reasons" too?
The reason I don't tell you what the reasons are is simple. 1) It's not as scandalous as you seem to want it to be. It's actually quite tame. 2) The person who informed me of what happened (someone who is in the know) is a frequent visitor of this forum (yet to register and post) and if that person feels the need to make public that information I will let them as I'm not sure how happy they would be if I were to post her companies private information on a public forum.

Keep in mind, I never used the word first I said sooner, as in they'd (IKEA) have begun construction and finished a lot sooner as opposed to still looking for a location. What your deal is with trying to pit both metros against one another is clearly unknown but does speak volumes to me.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 6:16 AM

dont know if the last pic on this pdf had been posted, but if you click on the link below it will download a pdf and on the last page it has a rendering of the hotel/condos and the offices/townhomes/apts that are to be built at the rim...

http://www.reatarealestate.com/prope...Renderings.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio