HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 1:32 AM
JACKinBeantown

WOW!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
WOW!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 1:20 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
More San Antonio fireworks goodness. This video was taken from a condo atop the Grand Hyatt. This is nuts.

https://www.facebook.com/mcclure.jon...66782770062824

Holy mackerel are those private fireworks be shot off in the neighborhoods? I used to live in San Antonio 20 years ago but I don’t remember that... Increible footage.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 1:44 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Holy mackerel are those private fireworks be shot off in the neighborhoods? I used to live in San Antonio 20 years ago but I don’t remember that... Increible footage.
Not only private, but illegal. lol

But yeah, that’s how it looks all over the city at midnight on NYE. It’s legit.

It’s so big that after they’re popped the city becomes so Smokey and hazy that visibility is very bad and the air quality temporarily goes to dangerous levels.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 2:33 AM
Meh

This year seemed to be a little more crazy. We stayed home this year because of our cedar allergies. I've felt like crud since Sunday. Anyway, I was surprised by how many people were setting off fireworks in the neighborhood. It was nuts. Tons of black cats, but also the big mortar rounds. I went out to watch and even was able to see the flashes and hear the rumble from the big display downtown, and then one particularly big boom and rumble as the finale finished up. The smoke was really thick. I had to go back inside because it was choking me up.

There was also a 32 car pile up on SH-130, and they attributed part of it to the smoke. There was fog also, but honestly, I think most of it was smoke from the fireworks.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Yes, the vast majority of fireworks in SA are in the neighborhoods.

I was at the old Drury Inn a few years ago, on the rooftop pool level, and was talking to a Canadian couple in town for New Years. Even they were more impressed by the display South and West of DT, (that's the view we had), than of the tower display.

It was funny explaining to them that fireworks are illegal inside of city limits, while the best displays were illegal, and inside of city limits.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
This year seemed to be a little more crazy. We stayed home this year because of our cedar allergies. I've felt like crud since Sunday. Anyway, I was surprised by how many people were setting off fireworks in the neighborhood. It was nuts. Tons of black cats, but also the big mortar rounds. I went out to watch and even was able to see the flashes and hear the rumble from the big display downtown, and then one particularly big boom and rumble as the finale finished up. The smoke was really thick. I had to go back inside because it was choking me up.

There was also a 32 car pile up on SH-130, and they attributed part of it to the smoke. There was fog also, but honestly, I think most of it was smoke from the fireworks.
Well, it was like 25 degrees last year, but I've yet to be unimpressed by the volume of fireworks in a city where they are banned.

Hell, I've set more than my fair share off. It's a law that is practically impossible to enforce, and should officially be done away with. One night a year. Get over it.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 5:41 AM

[IMG]San Pedro Creek Park by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Not only private, but illegal. lol

But yeah, that’s how it looks all over the city at midnight on NYE. It’s legit.

It’s so big that after they’re popped the city becomes so Smokey and hazy that visibility is very bad and the air quality temporarily goes to dangerous levels.
Yup. I have video of the drive home. It's crazy. Reminds me of areas of CA after fires have started or exhausted.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 5:07 AM

[IMG]San Antonio Skyline by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 2:32 PM
JACKinBeantown

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
[IMG]San Antonio Skyline by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]
What is the building next to the Wyndham Riverwalk in the picture? Kind of looks tall for the area and resembles the Vidorra.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 5:45 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

It is the Vidorra. It just looks like it's right downtown because of something about the angle.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 8:09 PM
Meh

He also shot that with a telephoto lens which makes objects seem closer than they really are. Great photos, Raul!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 11:49 PM

Here's a bit of news about the park space they're "activating" in front of the tower. It involves barbecue.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/food/re...s-13535171.php

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 1:27 PM
JACKinBeantown

How are they going to do this without taking away any park space or cutting down any trees?

Street view:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4266...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 3:52 PM

[QUOTE=JACKinBeantown;8438373]How are they going to do this without taking away any park space or cutting down any trees?

I think it’s going on the NW corner, but they have cut down some trees. This is not a city park, it is privately owned, but they plan to keep a lot of green space.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 5:12 PM
JACKinBeantown

[QUOTE=Txdev;8438533]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
How are they going to do this without taking away any park space or cutting down any trees?

I think it’s going on the NW corner, but they have cut down some trees. This is not a city park, it is privately owned, but they plan to keep a lot of green space.
I guess you're right. With that in mind it says this in the article: "Pinkerton’s Barbecue will open a second location downtown. According to Weston Urban CEO Randy Smith, it will be part of a 1.2-acre park being developed by the company at the northeast corner of Houston and Flores streets, across from the new Frost Tower."

Does that mean they are developing a park that will be 1.2 acres along with the restaurant? Or that there is currently a 1.2-acre park that they will develop into a restaurant (and possibly more)? If that's the case, I hope that if they remove the park space, that they at least build tall instead of just putting in a 1 or 2-story building in place of park space.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 5:22 PM

The park space is already there. They're putting a small building on the northwest corner of that block and leaving the rest as green space.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 11:02 PM
JACKinBeantown

I asked because the way it's worded is very general. It could mean the since it's not actually a park, they will develop it as a park with a specific design in mind including pathways, etc. Or it could mean that they currently consider it a park and they will develop it architecturally with buildings, etc. (Language is a tricky thing.) My guess is that you're right, but we shall see.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio