HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Throne speeches generally are.

As for polling, Pallister could show up to question period in meth psychosis and he'd still get re-elected. The NDP is still such a basketcase right now there is no way that they will seriously challenge the PCs next time out.
Not to mention the Libs getting better funding and splitting some votes. Hopefully the PC's push a lot of infrastructure projects in the Winnipeg economic zone and create a real cohesive infrastructure plan that is properly funded.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 10:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:

As for polling, Pallister could show up to question period in meth psychosis and he'd still get re-elected. The NDP is still such a basketcase right now there is no way that they will seriously challenge the PCs next time out.
Seriously aside from unionized govt. employees and the real dumb who would vote NDP ever again?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:02 PM

Quote:

It was mentioned in the news there would be announcements on infrastructure. I think I seen somewhere they would go ahead immediately with the Lake Manitoba outlet, which was already the plan. However I'm not sure if I caught that during my read through. Nothing else was mentioned.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:24 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
We'll probably hear some juicy infrastructure (read: interchanges) election promises in 2020 as that is the election year and when the South Perimeter Study is planned to be completed. With that study they should have shovel-ready designs for Hwy 3/100 and St Mary's/100.

The study timeline on the MI website says they should be asking public opinion on different designs throughout 2019 so we'll probably have some general ideas of what is to come next year.
As a digression, I wonder whether the federal liberals will once again promise money to finish off twinning the remaining 15 km of Highway 1.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:31 PM
What could go wrong?

Hopefully they will, and hopefully the Province of MB will be embarrassed into finishing those remaining 15 kms through the Whiteshell as Ontario is finally moving forward with the twinning of Hwy 1 between Kenora and the MB border.

https://4lanehighway17kenora.ca/
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:35 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

If Regina Bypass and upgrade to all the at-grade intersections (Read: fancy interchanges, not cheap traffic lights!!) immediately east of Regina fail to embarrass Manitoba, though, I don’t think this one will, either.

The reason I mentioned federal money is that, east of Steinbach, there’s no vote to buy for Manitoba.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:39 PM

Regina bypass still has uncontrolled crossings though. So I feel embarrassed for them haha It's the biggest project in the provinces history.

But yes, we've been embarrassed for so long it's not even a thing anymore. Just normal life. When we actually get proper infrastructure, we'll shout from the roof tops.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:45 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

How long will it take for people to get used to the 101/59 interchange then?

I bet people will think they’re driving in Ontario if TCH and 75 become completely free-flowing from SK to ON.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
How long will it take for people to get used to the 101/59 interchange then?
The 101/59 interchange is not all that much different from the old 101/59 interchange that was once there. Or from any of the cloverleafs around the Perimeter for that matter.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 7:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The 101/59 interchange is not all that much different from the old 101/59 interchange that was once there. Or from any of the cloverleafs around the Perimeter for that matter.
Going east on the perimeter and then north on 59 is a little different than a standard cloverleaf...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 7:31 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Going east on the perimeter and then north on 59 is a little different than a standard cloverleaf...
Except that that configuration was already in place before they upgraded the whole intersection. So basically for those going EB to NB it changed nothing
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 7:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Except that that configuration was already in place before they upgraded the whole intersection. So basically for those going EB to NB it changed nothing
True enough just a slightly different version of the cloverleaf

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 5:06 PM
What could go wrong?

More closings - they closed last week the opening in front of the South End Sewage Treatment Plant.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I haven't done the EB to NB flow but the traffic streams split a lot further west than they would have with the old flyover. Basically the exit is now close to Gateway. Further the EB to NB flow you could stay in the right hand lane before but now that is SB exit lane. There are some changes with all the flows. I don't recall the NB to WB ramp even being open when I started driving so it is pretty engrained to me the NB to WB is a left hand turn there. Also I think the SB to WB flow will have a different feel than the long established one. I know the now removed weigh scale was a bit of a marker point where you would make sure you were lined up in the correct lane to make that exit.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 5:44 PM

^ That NB to WB loop closed pretty well when the NE leg of the Perimeter was completed... must have been sometime around 1997?

I still don't understand why it had to be closed... it could have been left in place (as with the EB to NB lanes on that bridge) and it would have eliminated the need for the left turn light from NB to WB for the 21 years that the interchange was mangled into a horrible intersection.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 9:24 PM

^^ My understanding was the NB to EB loop closure has something to do with commercial trucks (ie semis).

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 10:06 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The south end treatment plant has to have good access to the perimeter as many semis transport liquid sludge from there to the north plant for dewatering. IIRC it was 8 per day,

Old Posted Nov 22, 2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
The south end treatment plant has to have good access to the perimeter as many semis transport liquid sludge from there to the north plant for dewatering. IIRC it was 8 per day,
South end treatment plant just had it's main access to perimeter barricaded a few weeks ago. Traffic now has to drive to St annes or st marys and use the service road, as it should have always been.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 2:57 PM

Are they paving the service roads? Lot's of times when they close access, they pave the gravel roads so people who were driving on pavement don't need to go onto the gravel. Such as 59N/101. They paved certain parts of the service road where they forced people to use.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 3:36 PM
What could go wrong?

They have actually been working on the gravel service roads around the SE Treatment Plant over the last couple of weeks. Obviously they cant pave at this time of year but they might in the spring next year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan