HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Park Michigan in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 5:57 PM

Signs of life... maybe

This weekend, the large triptych billboard on Wabash was modified somewhat with the dead telephone number covered over with a new number that is answered: "Hello, Park 1000". The "Marketed by Koenig and Strey" sign has been painted over as well.

What does this mean. Not much, in my opinion; only that the K&S account has lapsed given that the building has no forthcoming approval in the pipeline, and thus no pre-construction budget to pay a marketer.

Now, I noticed that the www.parkmichigan.com address was still being displayed, and the last time I checked that URL was registered to Koenig and Strey.

I checked WHOIS again, and it is now registered to FireStar Communications http://firestarcom.com/. They do websites and brochures for many of the luxury projects in Chicago. So, at least something is happening. Renaissant still considers the project alive enough to keep the sign up and updated, that's all.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 7:38 PM

Too bad. I love this design.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 7:47 PM

I'm not so pessimistic. Delays happen all the time. What's surprising is that many other projects are moving forward so quickly.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 5:26 PM

With all the success at central station, and the mich ave address, I'm shocked that this thing has moved the way it has. Yes, the boom isn't going on anymore, but this is a beautiful building in a great location- I'm still going to keep saying that I think the developer isn't strong enough to get this done.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2007, 6:26 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBear24 View Post
Yes, the boom isn't going on anymore
What? Just because we didn't get any new proposals this week?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 3:12 AM

^ You're right, it's still insane how much goes on, but I should've elaborated that the condo market in its current state is the excuse I've been hearing as to why projects like this and mandarin aren't moving as expected say a year ago. I just really hope the developer can get this going eventually- the uncertainty makes me more nervous about this coming to fruition than it ought to I suppose.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 3:22 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

...yeah...considering we just got a new proposal...this week.

I think we just have a wait and see approach.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 2:12 PM
Cleared for takeoff

For whatever strange reason, I've always had a feeling that this one would pull through. When it does, I'll quote this post...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 3:30 PM

^ and when it doesn't, no one will ever remember your post. win-win!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 5:50 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Well, according to chicagorealestatedaily.com (Crains) Park Michigan is on the boards for March 2008.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 6:25 PM

Well, with no Plan Commission approval, no Landmarks approval, no floorplans and no sales center, that March, 2008 start date from BidClerk is likely a mistake.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2007, 6:46 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Yup.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2007, 5:59 AM
Cleared for takeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Well, with no Plan Commission approval, no Landmarks approval, no floorplans and no sales center, that March, 2008 start date from BidClerk is likely a mistake.
A lot can happen in 5 months and things can move fairly rapidly once the ball does start to roll.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 2:57 AM
BANNED

From SSC today

Notice the great work from the origional poster, and look to the far right projected tall building in the south loop.

Park Michigan.

This one is needed in this location stat. It would compliment OMP...ect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Central Station

[/IMG]

Imagine.

And then remember that this was a no go zone for anyone going to and fro from Bears games. 20 years ago the south end of the downtown was the Blackhawk Hotel and anyone that took on foot south was on their own.

Nice to see things change for the better.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2007, 6:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
From SSC today

Notice the great work from the origional poster, and look to the far right projected tall building in the south loop.

Park Michigan.

This one is needed in this location stat. It would compliment OMP...ect...

Imagine.

And then remember that this was a no go zone for anyone going to and fro from Bears games. 20 years ago the south end of the downtown was the Blackhawk Hotel and anyone that took on foot south was on their own.

Nice to see things change for the better.
God to be rid of dearborn park, and also fill in the plot of land south of roosevelt all w/ highrises and midrises say 10- 30 stories mostly...maybe some smaller units thrown in.

but alas dearborn park is going nowhere anytime soon

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 3:07 AM

There was a story on WBEZ's 848 about the "condo slump in downtown Chicago" and they mentioned the Park Michigan. They interviewed a representative from Leopardo Construction (apparently they're the GC on the project) who stated that the project is being delayed for at least a year. For what it's worth, he seemed confindent that Park Michigan would eventually be built.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSawyer View Post
There was a story on WBEZ's 848 about the "condo slump in downtown Chicago" and they mentioned the Park Michigan. They interviewed a representative from Leopardo Construction (apparently they're the GC on the project) who stated that the project is being delayed for at least a year. For what it's worth, he seemed confindent that Park Michigan would eventually be built.
Thanks for the info. Im still holding on to this one.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 3:44 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up.

Here's a link to that segment (also includes the Spire):
http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/Co...?audioID=15401

The Park Michigan part begins around 02:35

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 4:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Thanks for the heads up.

Here's a link to that segment (also includes the Spire):
http://www.chicagopublicradio.org/Co...?audioID=15401

The Park Michigan part begins around 02:35

Thanks to both of you great find and and keep up the great work.

One quote from the Park Michigan topic

“it is not nail biting time.” he still seemed confident.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 15, 2007 at 3:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 3:25 AM

Quote:
I think this project is as good as dead. The condo market will only get worse over the next year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive