HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 2:55 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Considering this may very well be our last central library I hope it's really good

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 4:40 AM
ARTchitecture

Me too. They are projecting that it will last us a century, so that is promising. What is also promising is that they are taking so long to work out the details, shows a very good thought process and no cutting corners.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Considering this may very well be our last central library I hope it's really good
What does that mean? You mean in our lifetime?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 5:33 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I suspect there will not be another central building built to hold physical library books.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 7:27 AM

Indeed I think physical libraries are on their way out in the medium/long term, and while physical copies are important to have, they will be kept in archives which need not be in a central and accessible location. I would be very surprised if this building lives its entire life as a library (given our current definition of a library) and I reckon it will either significantly evolve as time goes on or be repurposed entirely (in, maybe, 50 years).

Last edited by Trans Canada; Jul 10, 2014 at 7:46 AM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Canada View Post
Indeed I think physical libraries are on their way out in the medium/long term, and while physical copies are important to have, they will be kept in archives which need not be in a central and accessible location. I would be very surprised if this building lives its entire life as a library (given our current definition of a library) and I reckon it will either significantly evolve as time goes on or be repurposed entirely (in, maybe, 50 years).
I think the term people are using now is that libraries will evolve into "community spaces" and less so into book repositories. Or something like that

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 5:21 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
I think the term people are using now is that libraries will evolve into "community spaces" and less so into book repositories. Or something like that
I agree, unsure though once this new one reaches it's end of life if a brand new "central community space" will get built.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
What does that mean? You mean in our lifetime?
Quote:
I suspect there will not be another central building built to hold physical library books.

Libraries build in the past decade have focused on workspace more than books. I don't expect this one to be any different.

IMO, there will always be a need for libraries - although the purpose has evolved. The institution has changed form to become more democratized, both in the sense that access has improved and in the sense that libraries have become an important institution in democracy, especially in the UK and America thanks to philanthropists and thinkers like Carnegie and Dewey. The library on 12th Ave and 2nd St SW is a Carnegie Library. For the past century, libraries have stood for equality and opportunity. I don't think that will change. The presence of books is not so important as a safe and quiet space to work/study independently, meet with groups, and share ideas via lectures. As Calgary trends towards smaller living spaces, increased gender equality, increased immigration, more population in the core, later ages to start families, and becomes a larger intellectual and cultural centre, a central library becomes all the more significant. I hope that these trends only continue for the next century.

This new library, however, will likely carry significance that is novel (haha) to Calgary. In particular, like many national libraries, this library will inevitably make a statement about our identity and values as a place that former libraries and peripheral branches cannot achieve. For that reason, I'm hoping for something with architectural shelf-life (haha-ha). Physically, redeveloping this challenging site could have a significant affect on the feel of the inner city.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 6:13 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
Libraries build in the past decade have focused on workspace more than books. I don't expect this one to be any different.

IMO, there will always be a need for libraries - although the purpose has evolved. The institution has changed form to become more democratized, both in the sense that access has improved and in the sense that libraries have become an important institution in democracy, especially in the UK and America thanks to philanthropists and thinkers like Carnegie and Dewey. The library on 12th Ave and 2nd St SW is a Carnegie Library. For the past century, libraries have stood for equality and opportunity. I don't think that will change. The presence of books is not so important as a safe and quiet space to work/study independently, meet with groups, and share ideas via lectures. As Calgary trends towards smaller living spaces, increased gender equality, increased immigration, more population in the core, later ages to start families, and becomes a larger intellectual and cultural centre, a central library becomes all the more significant. I hope that these trends only continue for the next century.

This new library, however, will likely carry significance that is novel (haha) to Calgary. In particular, like many national libraries, this library will inevitably make a statement about our identity and values as a place that former libraries and peripheral branches cannot achieve. For that reason, I'm hoping for something with architectural shelf-life (haha-ha). Physically, redeveloping this challenging site could have a significant affect on the feel of the inner city.
I think we underestimate the effect that libraries have had and have in ensuring an educated population that allows our electoral system to function in a reasonable manner. I agree, the function of being the place to share ideas is a key one for a library, particularly a central one. Having a place where the common person can go and listen and share ideas is the great leveling of the society and is as needed now (if not more) as it was in Greece.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 6:36 PM
Bring buildings to life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
It's like a double rainbow! But what does it mean?
Oh God!! I cannot resist this reply...

Those who play League of Legends will know what I am talking about

Source: http://leagueoflegends.com

Last edited by RicoLance21; Jul 10, 2014 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seconds View Post
This was just posted by Scott Dipple on Twitter:
Yes, they provided their update to the City today in a committee meeting. In the report it stated mid Sept.

It appears the little bird told me the wrong info before. I was anticipating mid july!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2014, 9:08 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Otherwise known as Please Don't Suck Day

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Otherwise known as Please Don't Suck Day
What does it mean if we know of some of the suck early?

In related news.

New Central Library will not get +15 to City Hall
via CBC

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 1:34 PM
ARTchitecture

I read the comments. Why do I read the comments?

Also, not having the +15 between the structures is a devastating blow to both the library itself and the Riff in the East Village.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 1:48 PM

Quote:

New Central Library will not get +15 to City Hall
via CBC

"They're going to be using the LRT station so we've focused about how do we get that connectivity from the LRT station, looking where the adjacent parking is in the area, really meeting all of those needs."
Maybe this means we will see some sort of overpass from the platforms at city hall over 3 St? Not sure how it would work, but that could be interesting...

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I read the comments. Why do I read the comments?

Also, not having the +15 between the structures is a devastating blow to both the library itself and the Riff in the East Village.
Unless they're aiming for a connection between the two to be at street level in the open air?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 2:30 PM

I am frustrated by the reasoning that says City Hall is closed during the library's busiest times. Well, couldn't we just keep City Hall open? Why what should be the most publicly accessible building in our downtown closes at 6:00 PM is beyond me.

I understand that building a +15 could be expensive, so I do hope they create an at grade crossing at 8th Ave into the Library. Some programming changes to City Hall are desperately needed (like keeping the doors unlocked for as long as the rest of the+15 network) and we can still have the connection through from Stephen Ave to the Riff. This is about much more than just getting people to the Library in my opinion. It is about connecting our two most important pedestrian streets in the core.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 2:31 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.E.Pennypacker View Post
Unless they're aiming for a connection between the two to be at street level in the open air?
Wouldn't it be funny if they did to this what they did to the peace bridge and didn't even have a cross walk at the entrance? Is there even a proper exit from City Hall on this side at street level?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 2:33 PM

Here is the City Hall entrance on 3rd Street at 8th Ave:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@51.04519...FBGg!2e0?hl=en

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 2:33 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
I am frustrated by the reasoning that says City Hall is closed during the library's busiest times. Well, couldn't we just keep City Hall open? Why what should be the most publicly accessible building in our downtown closes at 6:00 PM is beyond me.

I understand that building a +15 could be expensive, so I do hope they create an at grade crossing at 8th Ave into the Library. Some programming changes to City Hall are desperately needed (like keeping the doors unlocked for as long as the rest of the+15 network) and we can still have the connection through from Stephen Ave to the Riff. This is about much more than just getting people to the Library in my opinion. It is about connecting our two most important pedestrian streets in the core.
Is this still a go or are you referring to the existing form of the building?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates