HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 6:03 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
I would argue that, in many ways, Waterfront is the most urban residential design in Calgary.
Hmmm, I don't think many people would agree. Could you explain? I'm not saying I hate Waterfront, just I think that location deserved much better. Hopefully Waterfront Outlook will look a bit more curtainwall-ish as portrayed in the renders.

My opinion is that Calgary doesn't really have any truly urban-looking residential buildings completed yet. Aura will be the first, with Guardian second. I do love Montana though.

Actually there are a few shorter ones in the Beltline that have a good "urban" style design like Calla, and another one that I can't think of the name... but it's my favorite residential building in the whole city because of its huge balconies.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 6:11 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Hmmm, I don't think many people would agree. Could you explain? I'm not saying I hate Waterfront, just I think that location deserved much better. Hopefully Waterfront Outlook will look a bit more curtainwall-ish as portrayed in the renders.

My opinion is that Calgary doesn't really have any truly urban-looking residential buildings completed yet. Aura will be the first, with Guardian second. I do love Montana though.

Actually there are a few shorter ones in the Beltline that have a good "urban" style design like Calla, and another one that I can't think of the name... but it's my favorite residential building in the whole city because of its huge balconies.

Castello?

I like how Xenex interfaces with the street and sidewalk.

Last edited by Jimby; Nov 26, 2013 at 6:30 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 6:13 PM

I agree about Waterfront being the most Urban looking building we have so far, and that is due in large part to the very tall podium on that project. I find a 2 or 3 storey streetwall doesn't cut it, 5-8 storeys works much better.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 6:18 PM
ARTchitecture

Ahhh okay. I'll agree that it is the most urban residential development at street level. I just mean the look of the towers themselves I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Callisto? I like how Xenex interfaces with the street and sidewalk.
I can't find Callisto anywhere online so I can't confirm if that's the one. I know most people hate it, but I also like Emerald Stone

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Ahhh okay. I'll agree that it is the most urban residential development at street level. I just mean the look of the towers themselves I guess.

I can't find Callisto anywhere online so I can't confirm if that's the one. I know most people hate it, but I also like Emerald Stone
Castello, not Callisto. It's the one on 12 Ave just north of the Sheldon Chumir Centre. That one is one of my favs as well, fantastic large balconies! the street noise (and insane amount of dust in the spring) on 11th and 12th would be a major deterrent to me buying there though.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 6:31 PM

I'm indifferent on this proposal, could be worse

I understand the point of making the west end of the waterfront more of an urban, vibrant area but one development isn't going to exactly change the whole scene .. I'm holding out for the West Village redevelopment in the long term future to bring a new world class urban dynamic along the river, which will help boost the vibrancy of all these condo towers

A few retail bays in this (and surrounding) development couldn't hurt though

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 6:31 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Castello, not Callisto. It's the one on 12 Ave just north of the Sheldon Chumir Centre. That one is one of my favs as well, fantastic large balconies! the street noise (and insane amount of dust in the spring) on 11th and 12th would be a major deterrent to me buying there though.
sorry I meant Castello!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 6:32 PM
ARTchitecture

Yes that is exactly the one. I love it! I'd put up with all the negative just to live there.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 7:05 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I agree about Waterfront being the most Urban looking building we have so far, and that is due in large part to the very tall podium on that project. I find a 2 or 3 storey streetwall doesn't cut it, 5-8 storeys works much better.
Exactly what I was referring to.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 7:19 PM
BANNED

Apparently construction begins next month for the 24 storey tower.

Quote:
Sales at Avenue launched at the beginning of November and the project has been well-received by homebuyers, says Michael Ward, vice-president in charge of Grosvenor’s Calgary development program.

“We are very pleased,” he says of the launch.

“We are starting to mobilize construction on the site now. Fencing is going up this week and we’ll start mobilizing the site trailers.”

Excavation is expected to begin in January. It will take about six months of excavation and shoring work before the concrete begins to be poured.

“The other big milestone is that the permit from the city should be issued prior to the end of the year, which is why we’re getting ready on the site now,” says Ward.

Once construction begins in earnest, Ward expects the sales centre to see a boost in traffic.
http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=9256621

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Apparently construction begins next month for the 24 storey tower.
Wow that kinda came out of left field! I have heard nothing about sales or anything since the renderings were released and now they are going to construction.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 4:29 AM
BANNED

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
Wow that kinda came out of left field! I have heard nothing about sales or anything since the renderings were released and now they are going to construction.
Yeah, good news for sure. Grosvenor sure isn't messing around here like certain people.... cough cough mr lamb or the people behind 3eau-claire. I'm sure Smith sales centre will open right after the holidays and then it's onto their project on 16th and 4th st sw and then their other mystery location.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 5:16 AM
Traditional Ale User

Am I seeing this correctly on the website - Are the spandrel (or non glass) portions of the tower supposed to be peach, violet, and yellow? Or is this just a lighting effect in the rendering? Please let that be an illusion of some type..

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 2:23 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

From the website:

Quote:
A circular driveway winds around a central, landscaped island and arrives at a stunning covered entryway to your lobby. Quite a first impression
Can't say I'm impressed by this, yet another west end development giving pedestrian realm space over to the car. I don't think it really belongs or is a "need" for this development.

What I do like:

Quote:
A warm, rich facade of granite and glass starts at the building’s base and extends upward dramatically.
This gives me hope that they won't pull a switch and transition that granite to stucco higher up (like Emerald Stone and Montana).

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 3:25 PM

when I went to check out Avenue, the prices and layouts seemed lackluster. The interior finishing was meh and the building design didn't make much sense to me. I wonder what sales are like if they're starting construction already. Must be good.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
From the website:

Can't say I'm impressed by this, yet another west end development giving pedestrian realm space over to the car. I don't think it really belongs or is a "need" for this development.

What I do like:

This gives me hope that they won't pull a switch and transition that granite to stucco higher up (like Emerald Stone and Montana).
I like your interpretation.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenavedon View Post
when I went to check out Avenue, the prices and layouts seemed lackluster. The interior finishing was meh and the building design didn't make much sense to me. I wonder what sales are like if they're starting construction already. Must be good.
what were the prices like for a 2 bed/2 bath?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Yeah, good news for sure. Grosvenor sure isn't messing around here like certain people.... cough cough mr lamb or the people behind 3eau-claire. I'm sure Smith sales centre will open right after the holidays and then it's onto their project on 16th and 4th st sw and then their other mystery location.
I've been pretty impressed with most of the Vancouver developers. Qualex-Landmark, Bosa, Grosvenor all seem to be able to design solid towers consistently and get them actually built.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 7:01 PM
BANNED

Grosvenor is actually from London. They have narrowed their portfolio to 7 cities in North America, and Calgary's one of the markets they're looking to aggressively expand on.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
From the website:

Yup, just another opportunity for drivers to block the sidewalk...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates