HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadyeyez View Post
It was in the little strip mall on Avonhurst with "Jug n' Loaf, Villa Pizza and Lee's Chop Suey. And a hair salon I think.

Heading east around the bend there was the mall with McLeods, which became Revelstoke which is now Giant Tiger, Had the Saan store in there, and I think Sahara Nights was in there too.
You mean "Scary Nights" as it was widely called back in the day. I seem to recall the Regina Police had to shoot a guy dead in front of that place one night.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
You mean "Scary Nights" as it was widely called back in the day. I seem to recall the Regina Police had to shoot a guy dead in front of that place one night.
They did. He was inside with a shotgun or something We were going for a Sunday smorg a day or two after that and there was a poor attempt at cleaning the blood up...I was only 7 or 8 but I remember thinking what a piss poor job they did mopping up the scene.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 9:33 PM

Back when I was growing up in Regina, the roughest bar I heard about was the Jolly Roger on 5th Ave just east of Pasqua St. Supposedly it was full of bikers and other tough customers. I do recall hearing about people getting knifed in or near it. I wonder if it's changed at all?

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
These are old postcards:
Hamilton St. early 60s
I love the way they lit everything up back then!

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I think the old power plant was converted into the science centre in the later 1980's.
Yes, but the Power House stopped operating in the 70's. My grandfather worked there, and retired when it shut down.

Old Posted May 29, 2010, 10:38 PM
Chilean like a villian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrannyMuffin View Post
I love the way they lit everything up back then!
Yes it looks great. Granville street in Vancouver is being rejuvenated by adding a bunch of old neon signs to the stores. We should do that to one of our streets in downtown Regina. Maybe Hamilton St?

Old Posted May 30, 2010, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm310 View Post
Back when I was growing up in Regina, the roughest bar I heard about was the Jolly Roger on 5th Ave just east of Pasqua St. Supposedly it was full of bikers and other tough customers. I do recall hearing about people getting knifed in or near it. I wonder if it's changed at all?

Bikers don't even go there now!

Old Posted May 31, 2010, 5:39 PM

Which restaurant did your parents own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeg View Post
I remember Len, he and his wife used to frequent my parents restaurant after he retired.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 3:25 AM

I think so. Wasn't there one on Hill avenue beside Houston Pizza? Also, I remember the TV ads that you could get your Saturday night Bingo cards there..."Remember Folks, it's the fuchsia coloured card this week"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
Anybody remember a chain of convenience stores called Happy Shopper?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 3:33 AM

Does anyone remember the big statue of a Roughrider player that was close by? (I believe on the corner where Broad Street intersected with Lakeshore Drive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I remember when...The Center of the Arts was under construction. There was a construction strike part way through, after the major steel had been erected. It sat like that for about a year. It became known as the "the giant monkey bars out by the lake". It was literally out in the middle of nowhere (even more so than now). The nearest buildings were probably the first couple buildings at the new U of R campus, further south, and the old power house across the lake.

Speaking of which, I remember when the Saskatchewan Science Center was a functioning power plant. My grandfather worked there, and occasionally took me on tours inside. Now that was cool!

The lake east of Broad stayed open all winter because the power plant used it for cooling water, and the water that came out of the plant was still warm. There was always a steamy fog hanging over the lake, and the hoarfrost was especially heavy. The Canada Geese that populated the lake quit migrating south for the winter, and the population exploded.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 3:39 AM

I remember that mall. That's were my fiancee (now wife) and I bought her engagement and wedding rings. I forget the name, but you could look at the price and if you didn't like it, you could make an offer. They would either take the offer, or counter with their best price. We ended up with 2 different clerks. one took our offer on the engagement ring (figuring we would pay full price on the wedding ring) and then a couple months later, they took our offer on the wedding ring, figuring we had paid full price on the engagement ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrider View Post
I remember when they built the Sherwood Village Mall. When it opened it was full of tenants and was considered one of the premiere shopping centres in Regina. The entire area to the north of the shopping centre was undeveloped and still farm land. That doesn't seem all that long ago but I beilieve it was about 1981 when that place was built.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderfan5 View Post
I think so. Wasn't there one on Hill avenue beside Houston Pizza? Also, I remember the TV ads that you could get your Saturday night Bingo cards there..."Remember Folks, it's the fuchsia coloured card this week"
Next week, we'll be playing under the Aqua card.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 3:58 AM

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted Jun 1, 2010, 5:51 PM

Pizza hut used to be Buddy's and before that was Phil's Pancake house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
Whoops. That's what I meant. Wok Box is in the old Pizza Hut.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 12:25 AM

Happy Shopper

Quote:
Yes, we called it Happy Scoffer. (That means shoplifter for you young 'uns)

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 12:32 AM

The Happy Shopper I remember was on Dewdney, somewhere near Luther, possibly where Old Fashion Foods is now.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 4:43 PM

Speaking of South Albert restaurants that turned over several times, how about Chinese Palace > Earl's > Poverino's > Plum Garden? Ironic that it went full circle back to an Asian restaurant.

Quote:
Pizza hut used to be Buddy's and before that was Phil's Pancake house.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drm310 View Post
Speaking of South Albert restaurants that turned over several times, how about Chinese Palace > Earl's > Poverino's > Plum Garden? Ironic that it went full circle back to an Asian restaurant.
It was something else between Poverino's and Plum Garden...I think it was called Gringo's. That place wasn't there very long.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 11:48 PM

Here are some things i thought of, the Landmark inn, the Vagabond Motel Starlite and Queen City driveins, A@W trays on your window, Bell city hotel, Kiddie land, no Ringroad, the Lewvan was train tracks called the Lewvan sub. Rochdale stopped at McCarthy, Rail relocation, the Golden Mile was not a enclosed mall. the old Broad st. bridge parts of which are still with us. the first quiz, what was the 1st. interchange in Regina and was there once a place called North Regina? sorry i was on a roll. McCallum Hill being blown up and when Muscle cars where common place. blue Daytona at Lakeside Chysler with the big wing on the back.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 1:00 AM
Regina SK

The fountain/gazebo in "not sure what the name is" park...between Regina avenue and Wascana creek. We used to call it the "blue tit".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan