HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 10:03 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
At the risk of being annoying, but is Halifax larger than Victoria?

The Capital Region (Victoria) has a population of 415 451 over an area of 2340 sq km's. Halifax Regional Municipality has a population of 439,819 over an area of 5,475.57 sq km's. That's a larger population, but in an area that is over twice the size of the Capital Region. If you were to expand the Capital Region to the same area as Halifax Municipality, you would be taking in Nanaimo, which is 115 000 people, and the areas in between - about 600 000 people.

For urban area, Victoria - 397 237/215.88 sq km's. Halifax - 348 634/238.29 sq km's.

An good case could be made for Victoria actually being the bigger city. (Sorry. I get caught up on numbers too much probly).

The Halifax regional municipality isn't terribly relevant to population size as it is a city proper based on the county and not on the city. It covers a huge amount of rural and wilderness area but because of the shape doesn't actually capture all of the CMA. Although I'm not sure of the differences in the urban areas as I've never directly compared them.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 10:05 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBerryOfficial View Post
Go touch grass.
Thank you for your incredibly productive contribution.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Thank you for your incredibly productive contribution.
Based on your bizarre irritation at a reasonable comparison of two coastal cities of 400k people, I do think you need to take a break from the internet.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 10:09 PM

Having spent plenty of time in both Victoria and Halifax, I think that both cities are very similar. Scenic, medium (for Canada) sized cities. Decent tourism draws. Good old bones for cities there size (Halifax somewhat moreso). Its a good comparison and it never ceases to amaze me what people find annoying on this strange site lol.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 10:15 PM
Volatile Pacivist

You're certainly welcome to your opinion.

Quote:
Based on your bizarre irritation at a reasonable comparison of two coastal cities of 400k people, I do think you need to take a break from the internet.
Often times things that are hard to understand when taken on their own without any context make more sense once properly situated. A clue in this case would be the many discussions and comments over the years that I mentioned. Obviously I didn't get irritated based on hearing the comparison for the first time. That said, I'm not interested in your advice about my internet usage as it's none of your business.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 10:23 PM

Quote:
You're certainly welcome to your opinion.

Often times things that are hard to understand when taken on their own without any context make more sense once properly situated. A clue in this case would be the many discussions and comments over the years that I mentioned. Obviously I didn't get irritated based on hearing the comparison for the first time. That said, I'm not interested in your advice about my internet usage as it's none of your business.
Not sure why you are pretending you were not annoyed initially? You literally said that those kind of comparisons are made to get a rise out of people. You clearly were irritated lol. Obviously you think you are too smart by half and wont take advice, but I will give it again, go outside.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 10:36 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Having spent plenty of time in both Victoria and Halifax, I think that both cities are very similar. Scenic, medium (for Canada) sized cities. Decent tourism draws. Good old bones for cities there size (Halifax somewhat moreso). Its a good comparison and it never ceases to amaze me what people find annoying on this strange site lol.
Scenic, medium sized and, decent tourist draw. That's some insight. Learned alot.

You're new. For anyone else, this comparison has been done to ad nauseam and the commonalities typically centre on commonplace superficialities like ocean harbour, similar population and tourism. It's like when some mediocre condo is compared to global architecture because the architectural theme shares similarities. It can be amusing or annoying or both.

All things considered, Cold's Victoresque comment for the specific photo was fairer than most of his comparisons ( and he is always creating comparisons)

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 10:44 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Not sure why you are pretending you were not annoyed initially? You literally said that those kind of comparisons are made to get a rise out of people. You clearly were irritated lol. Obviously you think you are too smart by half and wont take advice, but I will give it again, go outside.
I disagreed with the comparison the first time I heard it (easily over a decade ago) but no, I don't get annoyed by something simply because I disagree with it. I just explain why I disagree and offer a counter argument. And unless you were present then you have no basis to claim otherwise.

As for your advice, if I had the same series of conversations about the topic in person I wouldn't feel any more or less annoyed than with it being online. So the internet has nothing to do with it. Which of course you'd have no way of knowing since we don't know each other. That's why I'm not interested in advice from you specifically rather than in general. You're not in any position to offer relevant advice to me without knowing anything about me. And I have no reason to respect advice from you for the same reason.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Halifax seen from Dartmouth

Source
Yah, when I was scrolling down that my first thought at first - looks like Victoria from certain angles. Nothing wrong with Coldsrx stating that, and hopefully it should be seen as a huge compliment to Halifax, no? It would be if stated the other way. Doesn't mean that the cities are the same or that one is better the other.

An old picture from Flickr from much further out than 0.5 km, but you can see what Coldsrx is talking about:

Victoria, BC by Benjamin Schnetzler, on Flickr

and a couple more:

Victoria and Mt. Baker on a perfect Day by Lindsay Mac, on Flickr

Also an older picture of Halifax, but the skyline pics we normally see here are from this angle - which looks nothing like Victoria. Now if a Victoria photo was posted that looked like this (not possible) then we could say it was Halifaxesque.

Halifax Skyline-2 by Aussie2504, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 11:23 PM

Quote:
At the risk of being annoying, but is Halifax larger than Victoria?
Yes, Halifax's population estimates for 2023 is likely to be over 500,000 as the CMA is projected to have added 30,000 people in the past year above the 2022 estimate of 480,000.

Surrounding Halifax's urban and suburban core there are around 700,000 residents (within a one hour drive from the edge of the urban core all connected by freeway):

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 11:39 PM
Look at me!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 11:45 PM

That's a bit vague. Can you add some Victoria numbers? I would imagine Victoria grew as well.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Scenic, medium sized and, decent tourist draw. That's some insight. Learned alot.

You're new. For anyone else, this comparison has been done to ad nauseam and the commonalities typically centre on commonplace superficialities like ocean harbour, similar population and tourism. It's like when some mediocre condo is compared to global architecture because the architectural theme shares similarities. It can be amusing or annoying or both.

All things considered, Cold's Victoresque comment for the specific photo was fairer than most of his comparisons ( and he is always creating comparisons)
I appreciate the condescending tone whipper. Great online persona you have. Gotta love internet culture, each corner has its gatekeepers. Seems I have found one of this websites. I suppose if you talk in circles for decades on a dusty forum sharing tens of thousands of comments you must get irritated by people discussing something that you have seen before.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 12:11 AM

Lol. You are relentless. How many forums have you been banned from?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 12:16 AM

Nova Scotia - Halifax waterfront by Graham Hart, on Flickr

Halifax by Henry Dowling, on Flickr

Hello Halifax NS by Randy Officer, on Flickr

by nadonou on Flickr https://flic.kr/p/2p1vVuv

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 12:25 AM

Great shots of Halifax. It has one, if not the best, waterfronts in the country IMO.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 1:12 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
For anyone else, this comparison has been done to ad nauseam and the commonalities typically centre on commonplace superficialities like ocean harbour, similar population and tourism.
My reasons for not putting much stock in this comparison are that many cities can look similar in faraway skyline shots, and if you dig in to what the buildings are like (go to diagrams on SSP) the two cities are not very similar in terms of building era, style, number, or size. Victoria doesn't really have comparable office towers for example which is the bulk of the downtown skyline in Halifax. The residential buildings also don't look very similar. Fenwick looks to be around 2-3x the size of Hudson Place and was built 50 years earlier. And we're not yet talking about the Citadel or harbour bridges or other things.

I would argue the difference at street level in the urban core is even larger. You don't see people mention comparable neighbourhoods, streets, or buildings much, and it would be hard to come up with a correspondence like that.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 1:25 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
An good case could be made for Victoria actually being the bigger city. (Sorry. I get caught up on numbers too much probly).
Most of the land in the Halifax CMA or HRM is uninhabited. The eastern 2/3 or so of the land has about as many people as moved to the city in 2022. There isn't some large rural population bloating the size of the metro.

People in Nanaimo don't commute to Victoria at high rates so it wasn't included in the CMA.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 1:37 AM

Quote:
It's provocative because there's been a lot of discussion on the topic on here over the years and people from Halifax including Someone123 and me have explained why it doesn't make sense numerous times. And while I can't speak for anyone else, I think I've made it clear how annoying I find it. So it's hard to believe that a person who's been here long enough to know all that would make a comment that says nothing about the image other than an irritating reference to another city would be intended to do anything other than irritate.

Plus, the convention for saying that one thing resembles another has long been that the original, larger, or otherwise more prominent of the two does is not the one that "resembles" the smaller, newer or less prominent. So saying "Well I thought of the smaller/newer thing when looking at the larger/older one" just tends to mean one is more familiar with the smaller/newer one. But that's a characteristic of the person making the comparison rather than of the things being compared. So it's irrelevant.
LOL at Halifax being more prominent than Victoria because it has 20,000 more people. Victoria is the capital of a much more economically advanced province, sees more tourists per year and has a much larger population surrounding. (Vancouver and Seattle within a two hour ferry ride) Hell, Vancouver island is practically the same population as Nova Scotia. Sounds like your hate for victoria is causing the riff, not the comparison.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 1:54 AM

Halifax being one of the fastest growing metros lately must have really hit a nerve with parts of Canada.

Quote:
The CMAs of Moncton (N.B.) and Halifax (N.S.) saw the fastest growth rates of all CMAs in 2021/2022 at +5.3% and +4.4%, respectively. These growth rates are more than twice that of Canada for the same period (+1.8%) and represent the first time in at least twenty years that both the fastest growing CMAs are found in the Atlantic provinces
Nobody paid attention to the east coast for years, and now that it's leading the country in growth some of this country can't accept it. Having a decent metro on the East Coast of Canada is good for this country.

Some days I think we should have joined the 13 colonies instead of being one of the founding provinces of Confederation. Boston and Halifax are more friendly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada