HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 6:06 PM
Demi-tour

Montréal - Fermeture définitive du cinéma Parisien

Le groupe Fortune ferme le Cinéma Parisien à Montréal...

J'ai marché sur Sainte-Catherine ce midi et j'ai appris que le groupe Fortune a définitivement fermé le Cinéma Parisien. C'est ce groupe qui a pris la relève de Famous Players il y a quelques années pour administrer le Parisien.

Depuis plusieurs années, Le Parisien était menacé de fermeture mais il résistait toujours aux menaces de fermeture. Maintenant, c'est fait.

Je demeure à Montréal depuis bientôt huit ans, et depuis mon arrivée ici, le centre-ville a perdu pas moins de six cinémas. Avec les rumeurs de fermeture de l'AMC, il ne resterait donc plus que deux cinémas au centre-ville soit le Quartier Latin et le Paramount. C'est dommage...

Pour les Cinémas Fortune, ça sent la faillite... Ils ont fermé la moitié du cinéma des Galeries de la Capitale à Québec il y a deux ou trois semaines, et maintenant ils ferment complètement Le Parisien.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 6:14 PM

Es-tu sérieux pour la rumeur de la fermeture du AMC ? Wow !!!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 6:44 PM
Vorsprung Durch Technik

tu as entenedu ca ou la rumeur de fermeture du AMC?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 6:46 PM
Demi-tour

^

... lors du dernier Smoked Meet...

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 6:53 PM

Closing the AMC??? Wow...

Honestly if the AMC goes, that who area where the forum used to be dies with it.

Something needs to happen to revive that area of downtown.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 7:31 PM
菠蘿油

where does this AMC rumour come from? it sounds baseless to me. the AMC has a huge market share; paramount is not very big and they use up multiple screens to show the same hollywood movies. the forum is basically the only english-language cinema in the entire city that shows foreign and independent films.

the parisien's closing was a long time coming. in fact, i'm surprised it didn't close earlier, back when famous players still owned it. anytime a cinema slashes its prices in half and starts booking second-run features you can pretty much tell it will soon be closed. that's exactly what happened to the eaton centre.

by contrast, i don't see any indications that the AMC will close.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 7:35 PM
菠蘿油

if the AMC does close (and again, i don't see any reason why it would), it would automatically remove HALF the screens downtown. there would definitely be new, smaller cinemas that would open to replace them --- it would be inconceivable that AMC's market niche would be completely abandoned.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 7:44 PM
Mooderator

AMC was, at times, the only theatre in town that would run certain movies (I remember seeing Garden State there because it wasn't being shown anywhere else in town).

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 8:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
AMC was, at times, the only theatre in town that would run certain movies (I remember seeing Garden State there because it wasn't being shown anywhere else in town).
its still is and it pisses me off.

but about AMC closing, its not that, its for sale.

AMC wants out of this market and is looking for someone to buy it out.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 8:19 PM
菠蘿油

that makes more sense...

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 8:20 PM
Demi-tour

Ok... avant de passer pour un fou, je voudrais juste m'assurer que je n'ai pas imaginé avoir entendu un forumeur d'ici mentionner cette rumeur lors du dernier Smoked Meet.

J'ai oublié son pseudonyme, malheureusement. Il était assis devant moi, et nous a même gentiment offert une tournée. Il avait aussi mentionné plusieurs choses concernant l'avenir du Forum Pepsi, lequel fonctionnerait au ralenti, toujours selon lui.

Que celui qui se reconnait se lève, et me dise que j'ai rêvé tout ça. Je n'aime pas parler à travers mon chapeau, et si j'ai tort, eh ben tant mieux pour ce secteur de la ville.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 8:36 PM

Who would want to see a movie downtown when the parking cost more than the movie admission? Another fine example of our great mayor running the city into the ground. The area around the forum already looks like the south Bronx of the 70's, and this fool is talking about building billion dollar tramways.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 8:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
Who would want to see a movie downtown when the parking cost more than the movie admission? Another fine example of our great mayor running the city into the ground. The area around the forum already looks like the south Bronx of the 70's, and this fool is talking about building billion dollar tramways.
I have stopped checking movies downtown a while ago, those that I can't get near home, I rent.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 8:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BL- View Post
Ok... avant de passer pour un fou, je voudrais juste m'assurer que je n'ai pas imaginé avoir entendu un forumeur d'ici mentionner cette rumeur lors du dernier Smoked Meet.

J'ai oublié son pseudonyme, malheureusement. Il était assis devant moi, et nous a même gentiment offert une tournée. Il avait aussi mentionné plusieurs choses concernant l'avenir du Forum Pepsi, lequel fonctionnerait au ralenti, toujours selon lui.

Que celui qui se reconnait se lève, et me dise que j'ai rêvé tout ça. Je n'aime pas parler à travers mon chapeau, et si j'ai tort, eh ben tant mieux pour ce secteur de la ville.
oui j'ai entendu ca, mais c'est pour constuire du résidentiel, sur le forum, mais l'AMC est réellement à vendre, je l'ai lu dans les Affaires.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 9:05 PM
Daddy Likes it Dirty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BL- View Post

Je crois que c'est Booboohome. JE ne sais pas si il a dit que l'AMC allait fermer, mais je sais que lors de notre rencontre il parlait qu'au départ, un promoteur voulait construire une tour de 50 étages au dessus du Forum...
Montreal Metro: 3.666 million

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 10:00 PM
Vorsprung Durch Technik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
People who travel by metro/bus, try to go to guzzo in the suburbs by public transit, people who live downtown, and god knows there are more and more each years, people who go for a movie and then go out to bars, restaurants...

As far as i know, the paramount has never been empty, and it seems to be quite profitable.

However, the AMC is a whole other situation, and it's not the parking fares in the street and in the area that will help, the whole area needs to be revitalised, even the forum pepsi itself, it's too bad it never become what it was supposed to be (missing parts are the imax style theater, there was supposed to be a rainforest cafe, many more bars and restaurants, but delays in the projets, companies in financial difficulties, low affluence of people all contributed to the dismised of the forum pepsi, way before parking fares.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 11:19 PM

Yes but there is a limited number of people your talking about,the cinema industry relies on families for a good portion of its profits ,why do you think they try to avoid an R rating at all cost? how much money has the Grindhouse made? trust me I worked in cinema industry for over 6 years I know what I'm talking about.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
Je crois que c'est Booboohome. JE ne sais pas si il a dit que l'AMC allait fermer, mais je sais que lors de notre rencontre il parlait qu'au départ, un promoteur voulait construire une tour de 50 étages au dessus du Forum...
C'est finit pour la tour de 50 étages?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 1:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by West_aust View Post
people who live downtown, and god knows there are more and more each years,...
t'as l'air sure de toi... moi je suis pas sur de ca.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 2:54 AM
Vorsprung Durch Technik

Quote:
Originally Posted by malek View Post
t'as l'air sure de toi... moi je suis pas sur de ca.
j'ai pas les chiffres mais a la quantité de nouveaux condos qui se sont contruit/en construction, il doit bien y avoir une augmentation de la population au centre ville

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Québec > Montréal