HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

The Ferris Wheel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Nope. A poll showed that roughly 75% of all Staten Islanders want some sort of subway on their island.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...nd_tunnel.html
Perhaps opinions have changed. There had been a strong opposition to a subway extension going back decades: http://books.google.com/books?id=XpL...ed=0CEEQ6AEwAw

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 11:09 AM
New Yorker for life

Whenever there's talk of extending the subway to Jersey, someone always complains about not having the subway extended into Staten Island first.

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...rris_wheel.php

New Looks, Details Unveiled for S.I.'s Enormous Ferris Wheel

Wednesday, May 22, 2013
by Hana R. Alberts

Quote:
.....there will be a lot of fireworks, and not just on July 4. The Staten Island Yankees, whose ballpark is next door to the wheel, set off fireworks after every home game, and Marin plans to collaborate with them.

Beyond that, the 72 spokes of the wheel will be lit with specially programmable LED lights that can be seen from across the city. Marin plans to change up the designs depending on the day—say, a pink heart for Valentine's Day, a green four-leaf clover for St. Patrick's Day, or a jack o' lantern for Halloween. Catering to the city's glut of Chinese tourists, the wheel can even get dolled up for Chinese New Year. ("City Planning said, 'It's kind of visible,' and we said, 'That's the point,'" Marin said.) Special evening events are in the works, like special champagne flights, and just like the Empire State Building, on some nights the wheel will stay open until 2 or 3 a.m.

.....Marin and co. checked out the potential views by taking a helicopter ride, hovering at the 630-foot height of the wheel, and assessing what visitors will be able to see besides the obvious perspective of downtown Manhattan. The verdict? Part of Central Park. The harbor, George Washington Bridge, the Brooklyn Bridge, and other parts of the five boroughs and New Jersey. "We're allowing people to view the Verrazzano, which people never see," Marin said. "We're going to see the ocean. We're going to see the docks up the Kill Van Kull."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
Perhaps opinions have changed. There had been a strong opposition to a subway extension going back decades: http://books.google.com/books?id=XpL...ed=0CEEQ6AEwAw
You are talking about something from the 1920's and 1930's from Hylan. He was one of the most anti subway Mayors in New York City because he held a grudge towards the BMT for firing him. Look it up. He made the IND because he wanted to get revenge on the BMT.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2013, 6:48 AM

Quote:
You are talking about something from the 1920's and 1930's from Hylan. He was one of the most anti subway Mayors in New York City because he held a grudge towards the BMT for firing him. Look it up. He made the IND because he wanted to get revenge on the BMT.
Yes, but he represented an entire city, which has always been less "fearful" of public transportation than Staten Island alone. And however you would compare him to other mayors, he still used the concerns of the people on the island to try and get what he wanted. I'm sure you're well aware of the pre-varrazano islanders who lament the construction of the bridge. I suppose they haven't passed their concerns along to the next generation to the extent I had thought.

Back to the wheel: The construction of this, the shopping center, hotels, and housing projects nearby will surely buttress the argument for a subway link.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2013, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
Yes, but he represented an entire city, which has always been less "fearful" of public transportation than Staten Island alone. And however you would compare him to other mayors, he still used the concerns of the people on the island to try and get what he wanted. I'm sure you're well aware of the pre-varrazano islanders who lament the construction of the bridge. I suppose they haven't passed their concerns along to the next generation to the extent I had thought.

Back to the wheel: The construction of this, the shopping center, hotels, and housing projects nearby will surely buttress the argument for a subway link.
You are talking about the opinions of people from roughly 80 years ago. A lot has changed. A majority of the people that now live on Staten Island are Brooklyn transplants, or the kids of Brooklyn transplants due to the bridge. There are also people that are from Manhattan that live near the ferry terminal. The opinions of the island has dramatically shifted. People on Staten Island want subway service now. The problem is it is expensive and complex and it will take a long time before it might even happen.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 11:04 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...ng_to_win.html

Staten Island is hoping to win big on the Wheel 

Jillian Jorgensen
June 10, 2013

Quote:
When the land use committee of Community Board 1 gave its approval to the New York Wheel and Empire Outlets, they tacked on a slew of conditions - including that the city spend all the money it earns leasing the land back on Staten Island. But whether those conditions will be binding is up to the City Council, and it seems unlikely.

"I can't recall seeing language like that," said Councilman James Oddo (R-Mid-Island/Brooklyn), the longest-serving member of the current Staten Island delegation. "I'm not saying it never happened, I just don't remember it."

The committee OKed the project -- which will be considered by the full board at a meeting Tuesday night at 8 p.m. -- on the condition that 100 percent of the money New York City earns by leasing the land for the New York Wheel and Empire Outlets be spent on Staten Island.

That kind of restrictive language isn't in any of the recent ULURP resolutions passed by the Council. And it might not pass muster with Hizzoner, who also gets to sign off on the project.

"I would imagine that there would be pushback from the administration to sort of balkanizing the city's budget that way," Oddo said.

But Oddo said he'd check in with the Council's land use staff to see what their options might be.

"I think the sentiment expressed is understandable -- there needs to be an investment back into Staten Island by government, if we're creating this revenue," Oddo said. "But in terms of actually being in the ULURP, and how you word it, I can't recall ever seeing that overt of language."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 2:19 AM

Quote:
You are talking about the opinions of people from roughly 80 years ago. A lot has changed. A majority of the people that now live on Staten Island are Brooklyn transplants, or the kids of Brooklyn transplants due to the bridge. There are also people that are from Manhattan that live near the ferry terminal. The opinions of the island has dramatically shifted. People on Staten Island want subway service now. The problem is it is expensive and complex and it will take a long time before it might even happen.
-
No I'm talking about a sustained portion of Islanders that have been against greater transportation linkage with the city. A lot of those people who left Brooklyn to come here did so because they wanted to be further from the city. A lot of suburbs protest public transportation links because they feel it will lead to an increase in lower-income residents. I'm not doubting that this sentiment has decreased, but it's there.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...ng_to_win.html

Staten Island is hoping to win big on the Wheel 

Jillian Jorgensen
June 10, 2013
Interesting. What do you think about this, NYguy? Is that fair or shitty of them to ask for? Staten Island could always use a little more love.

And forgive my ignorance, but are there other precedents in NYC for diverting profit from city or private developments to particular boroughs?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:01 PM

What's the timeline for completion? 2014?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2013, 1:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablerock View Post
Interesting. What do you think about this, NYguy? Is that fair or shitty of them to ask for? Staten Island could always use a little more love. And forgive my ignorance, but are there other precedents in NYC for diverting profit from city or private developments to particular boroughs?
I can understand that the people from Staten Island want the wheel to benefit Staten Island, beyond more than just bringing jobs and revenue there. At the same time, the City sees itself as a whole of parts. Imagine if the success drawn off of Manhattan benefited that borough alone. For example, the city leases the airports to the Port Authority. But I don't think specific revenue is broken down as to benefit only Queens. The city's budget is large and complex. Some comparisons here...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=178265

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask1982 View Post
What's the timeline for completion? 2014?
The wheel is schedule to open in 2016, a year after the WTC deck opens.

Quote:
the Wheel's new opening date is July 4, 2016, said Wheel CEO Richard Marin

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 5:09 AM
Everywhere all at once

I can tell you exactly the motivation behind all those demands. I don't think it's 100% rational, no, but I am not at all surprised.

Ever since I've been following development out in the world and of course also here in my home-borough, the tone of Island locals with regards to anything new is always some form of agitation or disgruntlement...the older folks think anything new is too new and crazy, the younger people think nothing that new ever comes (which is why we all opt to leave if we can), and the only sentiment that everyone agrees on is that we get shafted in favor of the other boroughs on a regular basis. The tolls are too high, our commutes are awful, our working class struggles are small and silent potatoes to the bigwigs in "the City" ...I could go on.

So then along comes the wheel. Few people (myself being one of these few) were really overjoyed by the news. Most everyone, young and old, either were hesitant, nonplussed, or laughed outright at the idea. Some chalked it up to another NASCAR stadium proposal. Every so often a pipe dream comes through these parts, but rarely if ever does it take root in reality. I mentioned it to several of my friends and the most common response was "That'd be cool, but we'll see if they actually do it."

The people in charge, the community boards and neighborhood leaders, they are the hesitant ones. Cautiously optimistic might be a better term, in fact. Why? Because they see this almost as a necessary evil. "Oh a Ferris Wheel? It might bring traffic and mobs of tourists, which is bad, but it might also finally bring the level of investment from the city in S.I. that we've all been waiting and hoping for for years. This being probably the most serious proposal that's ever come along, I think locals are like "yeah go ahead and build it, but that revenue should go to improving our browbeaten existence." With how long we've already sat across the bay largely ignored, can anyone really be that surprised?

What I hope is that a middle-of-the-road deal is reached where a significant potion of the generated revenue, if not all of it, does in fact go to our island. We need it, believe you me.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
I can tell you exactly the motivation behind all those demands. I don't think it's 100% rational, no, but I am not at all surprised.

Ever since I've been following development out in the world and of course also here in my home-borough, the tone of Island locals with regards to anything new is always some form of agitation or disgruntlement...the older folks think anything new is too new and crazy, the younger people think nothing that new ever comes (which is why we all opt to leave if we can), and the only sentiment that everyone agrees on is that we get shafted in favor of the other boroughs on a regular basis. The tolls are too high, our commutes are awful, our working class struggles are small and silent potatoes to the bigwigs in "the City" ...I could go on.

So then along comes the wheel. Few people (myself being one of these few) were really overjoyed by the news. Most everyone, young and old, either were hesitant, nonplussed, or laughed outright at the idea. Some chalked it up to another NASCAR stadium proposal. Every so often a pipe dream comes through these parts, but rarely if ever does it take root in reality. I mentioned it to several of my friends and the most common response was "That'd be cool, but we'll see if they actually do it."

The people in charge, the community boards and neighborhood leaders, they are the hesitant ones. Cautiously optimistic might be a better term, in fact. Why? Because they see this almost as a necessary evil. "Oh a Ferris Wheel? It might bring traffic and mobs of tourists, which is bad, but it might also finally bring the level of investment from the city in S.I. that we've all been waiting and hoping for for years. This being probably the most serious proposal that's ever come along, I think locals are like "yeah go ahead and build it, but that revenue should go to improving our browbeaten existence." With how long we've already sat across the bay largely ignored, can anyone really be that surprised?

What I hope is that a middle-of-the-road deal is reached where a significant potion of the generated revenue, if not all of it, does in fact go to our island. We need it, believe you me.
I agree. We've been teased and fooled over and over again. The Naval base, the race track, the movie studios. We must look like dopes to the rest of the city.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 7:50 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Few people (myself being one of these few) were really overjoyed by the news.
As I suspect would be the case anywhere else in the city, outside of Coney Island of course (and even there people would be asking "why?"). However, once the thing is open, successful, and an image that becomes synonymous with the harbor, the Statue of Liberty, and the skyline, I think people will be proud to have it represent. Better to be known for something positive instead of something like the largest landfill.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 1:43 PM

Quote:
I can tell you exactly the motivation behind all those demands...
Thanks for taking time to the write that all out.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 6:50 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...ump_state.html

Despite design bump, Staten Island Wheel rolls toward OK

By Ryan Lavis
July 14, 2013

Quote:
As best he can, Rich Marin is ensuring everyone gets what they want from the New York Wheel, himself included. Sometimes easier said than done, this former banker-turned-developer has had a back and forth with city agencies, the public, and local politicians from the start of the St. George project, always sticking to a simple guiding philosophy of "we can work it out."

For example, there's one outstanding design issue concerning differing viewpoints between two city agencies -- the Public Design Commission and the Department of City Planning. The problem stems from a disagreement the two entities have over how the design of a special utility pole should look. One says that the pole, which houses mechanical and electrical materials above flood zones, should be more utilitarian, while the other contends that it should be aesthetically pleasing.

Marin is hoping to find a middle ground. "I just want something that will make everyone happy," he said during a meeting Tuesday with the Advance's Editorial Board. "If it were up to us, we'd be done, pencils down. But we have to keep satisfying both of those bodies and to do that requires a bit of back and forth." 

....if it were up to Marin, no one would ever have to drive to his attraction. Rather, he's taking extreme measures to ensure the majority of his estimated three-million plus customers arrive via ferry service once the Wheel opens in 2016. "If I never had to have anybody come by car or bus I would be happy," he said.

To that end, Marin has been in talks with several waterborne transit providers, and plans on constructing a dock on site to handle the extra vessels. Located near the base of Wall Street, he has approached the Department of Transportation on the issue, and even hired a maritime engineer to go over logistics.

"If I'm serious about wanting this to be a waterborne transit location, I've got to have a place where private ferries can come," he said.

On increasing Staten Island Ferry service, Marin had similar views to the borough president, saying that only if there's a need. He noted that the Wheel will operate from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. during the winter, and run until midnight in the summer, with extended hours during special days. "There will clearly be more traffic for the ferry in the wee hours than there has been," he said. "I think that clearly we will be part of that equation of the ferry reevaluating its needs."

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 10:57 PM

how big is the new wheel in Atlanta ???

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 11:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
how big is the new wheel in Atlanta ???

Atlanta's Skyview is about 180 ft...
http://www.skyviewatlanta.com/

http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/07/16/S...8651373996707/

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 4:29 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is going to be very crowded with tourists which is great for the economy. Think of all of those going to the statue, now imagine when they see this as there on the ferry or boat. Its gonna draw in millions.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 4:11 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...alk_up_th.html

Staten Island advocates, developers talk up New York Wheel to City Planning Commission

By Ryan Lavis
July 25, 2013

Quote:
Developers and supporters of the New York Wheel and outlet mall projects made their best case Wednesday in support of the massive endeavor to the City Planning Commission during a public hearing at Spector Hall in Lower Manhattan.

The purpose of this hearing was to give the commission an opportunity to question the project's developers before the matter comes to a vote in September. Approval from the City Planning Commission is just the next step in the lengthy Uniform Land Use Review Procedure. The City Council will take a final vote on the matter come November.

Most who spoke echoed Molinaro's remarks that these developments will "change the face of St. George."

Speaking before the commission, Marin touted the economic benefits in store for the borough. He noted that combined, the projects would provide some 1,200 construction jobs and 1,100 permanent jobs. Both developers said they intend to give Islanders priority for these jobs.

"This project is really about jobs," Marin said, noting that his site will utilize about 350 all-union construction jobs, and about 600 permanent positions after that. "The economic benefits for the North Shore will multiply many-fold for years to come." Capoccia echoed that point, saying he has "committed priority to the community."

Speaking independently of the developers, John Salmon, who owns a real estate business in the borough, encouraged the commission not to squander this opportunity. "My experience is generally that Staten Island never seems to miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity," he said, referencing abandoned Island projects such as NASCAR. "This is our time. This is our moment."

"Representing a business on Staten Island, I'd say, we want this, we need this and we deserve this," he added.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 5:56 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The holidays could provide extra revenue for the city wheel. Increasing prices for 4th of July or any other major fireworks events.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects